You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher not updating linked PDFs when externaly modified, document corrupted if saved without updating it.

3 hours ago, Andy_R said:

I found this thread because I'm having this problem (linked files not updating, Publisher v2, Mac). Reading through I realised that it is the Dropbox thing - all my work is saved to a Dropbox folder on the internal drive. 

Tested by packaging the job to a folder outside of Dropbox, made an edit to a linked Designer file, Publisher updated straight away. 

Did the same test again on the original files in Dropbox - no updates.

My workaround so far has been to just 'replace' the file with itself, but now I've seen how seemlessly it is supposed to work I'd quite like it if it could be fixed to work within Dropbox. 

Hi Andy_R

I've been direct messaging with the Affinity team about this. It seems that the route of files linked from Dropbox is a Dropbox special link instead of the route to the physical file in your drive. It was supposed to be this way if you activate the Dropbox connection in Publisher settings, and a normal route if don't, but for some reasons, it is using the Dropbox route regardless if you activate the route or not. This happens (at least in my case) when you have dropbox in an external drive.

They are looking to force the route to be a regular one always when Dropbox connection is deactivated and, probably, so I hope, the next update will bring a solution to this issue.

You could look at this in resource manager. Any linked file you use from dropbox has a (Dropbox:path_to_file) route and when the file is outside dropbox, the route is a traditional one: (volume/path_to_file). What they are looking at now is to ensure to only use the Dropbox route when Dropbox connection is active, and only normal when non-active, no matter if the file is in dropbox or not.

Let's have hope.

1 hour ago, Daniel Gibert said:

You could look at this in resource manager. Any linked file you use from dropbox has a (Dropbox:path_to_file) route and when the file is outside dropbox, the route is a traditional one: (volume/path_to_file). What they are looking at now is to ensure to only use the Dropbox route when Dropbox connection is active, and only normal when non-active, no matter if the file is in dropbox or not.

Thanks for the info. I clicked on one of the linked files in Resource manager in the version in Dropbox and Publisher crashed completely and now won't open that file at all without just crashing and disappearing straight away - which is a bit of a worry but thankfully this was a test file. This has worried me more than a bit though so I've turned off Dropbox link for now. I'd consider this a serious bug and is the first time I've seen Publisher crash so I'm now concerned about continuing to use it until a fix is released. It's probably fine outside Dropbox but my workflow is geared around all my work being inside of Dropbox.

Daniel,

to keep the mystery going, I find that sometimes I get a repeatable crash when calling the resource manager. (all this is dropbox) Solution then is to relink by using the replace button on each graphic, save, test until the problem gets away (ie I can call resource manager without a crash). Sometimes i delete  a graphic rather than replacing. During this beta version process, I make life messy for myself by keeping all graphic and publisher files in one folder, except one file (my letterhead logo) which is likely from an upgraded V1 to V2. Maybe it is linked by the odd link route you talk about. I too look forward to working normally when this glitch gets fixed.

Peter

3 hours ago, Andy_R said:

Thanks for the info. I clicked on one of the linked files in Resource manager in the version in Dropbox and Publisher crashed completely and now won't open that file at all without just crashing and disappearing straight away - which is a bit of a worry but thankfully this was a test file. This has worried me more than a bit though so I've turned off Dropbox link for now. I'd consider this a serious bug and is the first time I've seen Publisher crash so I'm now concerned about continuing to use it until a fix is released. It's probably fine outside Dropbox but my workflow is geared around all my work being inside of Dropbox.

The file can likely be recovered - you have to rename the folder(s) containing the linked resources, open the document, do not re-link and do not open the Resource Manager. Then manually find the linked PDFs, SVGs, and .afdesign documents inside your Publisher document and replace those - you can replace them with the same files. Once you're done save under a new name and it should be fine, at least until you update the linked documents outside of Publisher again.

3 hours ago, yukonPete said:

to keep the mystery going, I find that sometimes I get a repeatable crash when calling the resource manager.

The crash on opening the Resource Manager is part of this bug so hopefully it will all get fixed at the same time.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

4 hours ago, MikeTO said:

The file can likely be recovered - you have to rename the folder(s) containing the linked resources, open the document, do not re-link and do not open the Resource Manager. Then manually find the linked PDFs, SVGs, and .afdesign documents inside your Publisher document and replace those - you can replace them with the same files. Once you're done save under a new name and it should be fine, at least until you update the linked documents outside of Publisher again.

The crash on opening the Resource Manager is part of this bug so hopefully it will all get fixed at the same time.

Cheers

Thanks for the info, MikeTo. You don't know how much I want to have this issue resolved to start using v2's books function. Just finished a multi file catalog with 2000+ images and had to export and join pdf in Acrobat multiple times (hugh!) using v1 and in a month we expect to start the next big one, with over 5000 linked files in 13 publisher documents all in dropbox… Would love to do it in v2. Books and single book pdf export was my day one wish and having it and not being able to use it because of the dropbox linkage errors is consuming me. (Sad small violin solo)

Publisher just updated and now it works! :17_heart_eyes:

Well well well! @MikeTO please send my greatest kudos to the team. Just updated Publisher to 2.0.4 and the issue is solved. The linked images from dropbox now have a standard url and any change is inmediatly updated in Publisher.

People, update it asap and enjoy your Dropbox workflow! Just be sure to have dropbox link deactivated in settings.

I've become a happier droid today.

24 minutes ago, Daniel Gibert said:

Publisher just updated and now it works! :17_heart_eyes:

Well well well! @MikeTO please send my greatest kudos to the team. Just updated Publisher to 2.0.4 and the issue is solved. The linked images from dropbox now have a standard url and any change is inmediatly updated in Publisher.

People, update it asap and enjoy your Dropbox workflow! Just be sure to have dropbox link deactivated in settings.

I've become a happier droid today.

Just tested this and confirm it works here.. Yay!

Now if it's ok with everyone else I'd like to pretend my post yesterday triggered them to fix this. 😀

I'd like to Thank the Affinity team for sortiing this out at such short notice. I'd also like to thank my wife for being there *points over there* and my kids. But most of all I'd like to thank all of you for buying the software and making this possible. 👍 Peace, out.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the exact same issue but I use Google Drive. 

I keep the entirity of the book assets and pdfs(inserted linked pdfs) in the nested folders where the Publisher file is.

What helped was to keep the entire folder "available offline".

I'm about to update docens of pdfs in the next few weeks, let's see if it behaves this time.

Josue

On 1/27/2023 at 6:22 AM, Daniel Gibert said:

You're welcome. I don't work for Serif but I'm sure they like to see that issues are resolved. Cheers.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)