You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo v2: getting mask from adjustment layer?

5 minutes ago, folofol said:

I have an adjustment. How do I take its mask, to reuse it?

One of the easiest and most versatile ways is to select the adjustment layer that you have masked, go to the channels panel

image.png.047ba70c457a630d74c41f13795398db.png 

Right click on the adjustment alpha and create a spare channel, if you are likely to be using a few then rename to something meaningful

image.png.3aeb3d2368a14df3ca6ab8d5a7e2e816.png

In your layers panel select the adjustment that you want to add the mask to and load the spare channel to the newly selected adjustment alpha

image.png.3e2229abaf4d7016a71af47aafd0983b.png

On 11/13/2022 at 7:17 AM, maxegb said:

i do not know about v2,but in v1 if i wanted to use the same mask for multiple adjustments i always put a mask on it instead of painting directly on the adjustment. that mask can be duplicated and reused.

Could you please explain how you do this, while keeping your separate mask from affecting everything else too?

So you put the adjustment later into a group, then put the mask above that in the group? Or do you drop an empty pixel layer onto the thumbnail of the adjustment layer (short, vertical, blue drop-zone, in V1)?

On 11/15/2022 at 6:36 AM, Grant Robertson said:

Could you please explain how you do this, while keeping your separate mask from affecting everything else too?

So you put the adjustment later into a group, then put the mask above that in the group? Or do you drop an empty pixel layer onto the thumbnail of the adjustment layer (short, vertical, blue drop-zone, in V1)?

make an adjustment (say, an hsv adjustment)

click on it to select it, click on the mask key. the mask is now added as a child of the adjustment. Paint on the mask and not on the adjustment as you see fit.

click on the mask and copy it.

apply another adjustment (curve). click to select, paste the mask.

On 11/13/2022 at 2:13 PM, folofol said:

I have an adjustment. How do I take its mask, to reuse it?

The only obvious solutions I see are to screenshot it; or try to make the masked adjustment a single color, which I can then easily select

Fastest way is to use

1. Have the adjustment layer chosen in layer stack
  2. Selection>Select from Layer
  3. create new mask (from active selection).
  4. If required, to remove mask from original adjustment layer by layers panel, choose adjustment layer alpha, select … and Fill Alpha.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.