You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Knife tool doesn't work with fonts

ℓurié

Hello,

I've found a bug. The Knife tool doesn't work correctly with fonts, even after converting them to curves. As also reported by another user, the bug only happens when I use Shift for straight line. With freehand mode it's ok.

With the other shapes I haven't noticed any problems for now.

Thanks for your attention.

Knife Bug 1.afdesign Knife Bug 2.afdesign Knife Bug 3.afdesign

AMD Ryzen 3 3100 / RX 6600 / 16GB DDR4 3200 / Windows 10 Home

FYI - the above problem with Knife Tool doesn't effect Designer on MAC...

Works like a charm on both Mac and my iPad Pro 12.9" M1...

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

@ℓurié

I also have no problems with the knife tool.

Designer_698jNQonTU.gif.69c16f58750aa8286d5acf1e61bb34ae.gif 

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

12 hours ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

FYI - the above problem with Knife Tool doesn't effect Designer on MAC...

Works like a charm on both Mac and my iPad Pro 12.9" M1...

Hello @AffinityMakesMeSmile,
thanks for your reply.
Perhaps it's an exclusive bug for Windows users, because I'm not the first.
But thanks again.

11 hours ago, Komatös said:

@ℓurié

I also have no problems with the knife tool.

Designer_698jNQonTU.gif.69c16f58750aa8286d5acf1e61bb34ae.gif 

Hello @Komatös,

thanks for your reply.

But in your video I can see the same bug. Look carefully and let's analyze it.

The first cut leaves behind some curves. It's the line outside the fonts. The left side of & isn't cut. You can check this with the Node tool (press CTRL+Y to see if you use Windows).

1537114028_FirstCut.jpg.fcfadbd6bbbe2527a1331a731029aafa.jpg

The second cut only works with the left side of B. The right side of B and & aren't cut, despite you have selected all three elements.

1192650159_SecondCut.jpg.89f25bea7f8dc567954b0762a0fed86b.jpg

A correct cut is this:

But I've noticed that it works correctly only with a straight fonts (A in the last video is totally straight). Instead, with the other shapes I haven't see any bugs for now.

Eventually sorry for my english and thanks for your attention.

@ℓurié

Well, you are right. If I'm observing correctly, it seems to me that when you cut over or just short of nodes with the knife tool, the cut is skipped.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

I have posted about this bug too in other thread. In my experience its not about fonts - its about straight line. Try to use knife tool without shift, just freehand cut through font/objects. If you use knife tool on its own, without shift all should be fine. Kindly let me know if this is the case for you too.

12 hours ago, nezumi said:

I have posted about this bug too in other thread. In my experience its not about fonts - its about straight line. Try to use knife tool without shift, just freehand cut through font/objects. If you use knife tool on its own, without shift all should be fine. Kindly let me know if this is the case for you too.

Hello @nezumi,

thank you too for your reply.

It looks like the same bug. As I specified above it only happens when I press SHIFT for straight cut (vertical, horizontal, 45° degree). But in my case it only happens with fonts, even after converting them to curves (only with the straight letters it's ok). With the other shapes I haven't noticed any issue for now.

Look this video:

Instead, with freehand mode it's ok with all shapes and all fonts.

Hello, I have some news.

Unfortunately I don't have much time, but I tried again and again. Unluckily the bug also affects the straight letters. But... I've noticed that it doesn't affect all font families. Look the next video:

I also tried with others font families and it seems that only some of these are affected.

I attach the file, but you can try with others font families.

Knife tool bug - Font Families.afdesign

I am using an M1 iMac running macOS 11, and I'm able to replicate the problem on my end. As has been said, the bug seems to only occur when cutting a straight line (holding Shift) across curved paths, seemingly at specific areas. This only happens on curves that were converted from fonts, but not every font and not every glyph has this problem. Hope this gets fixed.

Edited by Patrick B
added the computer & OS I'm using for context

• Staff

Hi @ℓurié
We are aware of this issue and I've passed over your example to the devs to help with their investigation.

@Patrick B We've currently only been able to replicate this issue on Windows, could you provide a screen recording of this issue in action on your mac so we can try to recreate it? 

4 hours ago, EmT said:

Hi @ℓurié
We are aware of this issue and I've passed over your example to the devs to help with their investigation.

@Patrick B We've currently only been able to replicate this issue on Windows, could you provide a screen recording of this issue in action on your mac so we can try to recreate it? 

Hi EmT,

Here are some screen recordings. I am working with the document "Knife Bug 1.afdesign" that OP posted.

8 hours ago, EmT said:

Hi @ℓurié

Hi @EmT

I'm glad to know it. Thank you very much!

• 1 month later...

Yep, perhaps common issue with the booleans and shapebuilder. For the record, just tested that also works the trick of 'clipboard->copy as svg' activated in preferences, "paste special" as svg (it also treats "holes" as expected, after making such copy).

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• 1 month later...