You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity V1 or V2

Hi, 

I am pretty much a novice on photo editing. I currently have V1 but would like to know in broad terms, why it would be in my interest to invest in V2. Can someone provide in layman's what are the fundamental benefits that I cannot get from V1?

Take a quick look at this video: 

...and also this link: https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/full-feature-list/

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

As a non-professional photo editor, I see nothing to make me want to upgrade apart from maybe live mesh. The new interface is different, some things I like and others not, but no great overall improvement IMO.

V1 was so exiting when it was released (i bought while at an airport as I couldn't wait to try it), but all in all V2 it gets a 'meh' from me. And the msix installer file format is very annoying - bring back the exe;  I would hold off purchase until this changed anyway.

😒😒😒

Hi Billbir,

I am more a Designer user than a Photo user.

The user interface of V2 is much more logical organized than V1. What I also like is importing assets in Affinity Designer and they appear also in Photo and Publisher. The same is also true for Brushes, importing once, use in all 3 applications.

Maybe as a Photo user it has no interest but in Designer the Shape Builder is great. I have to add, while I have both AD and AP, and switch regularly between the two, if you do not use AD then the Shape Builder is of no use to you.

I agree with Lizod, the non-destructive RAW is priceless.

Probably a lesser reason; you can now upgrade with a lovely discount which let your favourite applications remain up-to-date for probably a very long time.

Chris

@henryg

You made a very good point about the lack of .exe extension. The exe is present inside the "AppData/Local/Microsoft/WindowsApp..." but when you try to point a third party  app to this exe, you receive an error message that it is impossible. This is a known problem which Serif will fix as soon as possible.

Serif has a temporary fix by writing a launcher for this, but they are not telling how you write it, how you save it and how to access it, so I am waiting for the fix by Serif.

I purchased the universal license for the discounted price for the future development of the version 2 apps.  With version 1 we got quite a lot of updates and features over that life span of version 1.  There are some nice work flow improvements and features for both designer and photo but mainly I purchased now for the discount on the future app improvements which I would then want to buy but at a higher price.   

Note: The exe and installation issues with the shortucts, icons etc.. are being worked on and an update will be coming to resolve workability issues as stated by serif support in other threads.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2022 at 12:30 PM, henryg said:

As a non-professional photo editor, I see nothing to make me want to upgrade apart from maybe live mesh. The new interface is different, some things I like and others not, but no great overall improvement IMO.

V1 was so exiting when it was released (i bought while at an airport as I couldn't wait to try it), but all in all V2 it gets a 'meh' from me. And the msix installer file format is very annoying - bring back the exe;  I would hold off purchase until this changed anyway.

😒😒😒

Hi, I was trying to install V2 on the Windows 11 OS, but I can't choose where to install the software on my computer during the installation process. Is there any way to do so? I remember I could choose the folder to install the V1 before.

Hello, with the new msix builds thats not possible during install. you could after installation go into your installed apps and then move the install to another drive.
exe files are announced but we do not know if they allow custom installation paths.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

2 hours ago, myclay said:

you could after installation go into your installed apps and then move the install to another drive.

You can also tell Windows which drive to use initially, at least on Windows 11.

Settings > System > Storage (if I remember correctly) then there's one to specify where new content installs.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...

Is there anything that breaks when you switch to Version 2?  For example, I use a lot of astrophotography Macros as well as Plugins.  Are there any changes there or should they all work just fine?  

the last thing I want to do is "upgrade" and then find that I can't do my regular workflow because I feature I needed is gone. 

5 hours ago, Larry123 said:

Is there anything that breaks when you switch to Version 2?  For example, I use a lot of astrophotography Macros as well as Plugins.  Are there any changes there or should they all work just fine?  

the last thing I want to do is "upgrade" and then find that I can't do my regular workflow because I feature I needed is gone. 

Hallo @Larry123 and welcome to the forum.

Best thing would be to use the trial and see if you can achieve everything what is important for you. V1 and trial versions work alongside. Just make sure you keep copies of your V1 files in case you do not want to upgrade.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, jsampson45 said:

For an absolute beginner I think it may be better to use v.1 as many available tutorials are for v.1. The UI is quite different AFAICS. 

The UI has changed, yes, but not so drastically that you have to get used to it.
And if you didn't have V1 before, there's no need to ask which version you should use, as you can no longer buy V1.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

6 minutes ago, jsampson45 said:

I would prefer to find a copy of v.1 or another product altogether, thanks.

As @Komatös has stated, you can no longer buy version 1. The Affinity Store doesn’t sell them now, and the same applies to the Mac App Store and the Microsoft Store. As the licences are non-transferable, any current owner’s copy is permanently tied to their email address or app store ID.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 hours ago, Komatös said:

The UI has changed, yes, but not so drastically that you have to get used to it.

... i will just add that from the point of view of the mentioned tutorials for V1, these are only cosmetic changes that do not affect their portability and applicability to the V2 version.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

8 minutes ago, jsampson45 said:

Not in my experience.

Which of the V1 tutorials were you unable to adapt for V2?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.