You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

master pages or shared symbol?

In fireworks I have pages which sometimes share layers. I might have 12 pages which each have 7-8 layers with 2 of those layers shared across say 4 pages and maybe 1 layer shared across all pages. in this way when I want to update a series of images all I have to do to make a complete "redesign" in some cases is just update those share layers. I dont have to reinvent the wheel 8 times. or copy and past a shared item into 8 layers or go into 8 layers to update a logo, for example, that all 8 pages use. thus all 8 pages can have unique content.

I love this because it means I can not only work with illustrations that I might want iterations of before deciding where I want to go...but I can also prototype an app without having to use several different apps.

this is why I love fireworks and why Im looking for a replacement. adobe is abandoning my work flo.

sigh. so...does affinity design allow me to create 12 iterations of a logo with a shared element that I can update in one place? of would I have to go into every page and update that one bit of an image?

another example is that I might be using a vector as a background color. Id share it to 8 pages. then when I decide I want a different color Id go to that ONE shared layer and change the color once. after that...any page that used that shared layer or item would be updated. and I could save them all out at once. thats what I do with fireworks.

Thanks MEB. I assume Master Pages is something more for Affinity Publisher??

Dizeyner,

At least you can do one of the scenarios you asked about. You can embed a document, make copies of it throughout your project. Any changes to the original will be reflected in each instance. Watch.

(Important to mention: You aren't actually changing the actual source document, just an embedded source. And you can have multiple embeds of the same file which are then independently editable.)

Hi MEB

Thanks for your Answer. I was hoping for a Print- and Screen-Persona in Publisher. The reason is, I believe that UI Layout deserves an independent Toolset, closer to print layout (i.e. Masterpages, etc.) then to Illustration, but with some dynamics in mind.

Sketch and Fireworks, both deliver this sort of Toolset to a certain point, but Illustrator, Photoshop or even InDesign would be three tools that were not made for UI Layout, but are nowadys used to do so (I have even seen people using Apple's Keynote).

I have seen people comparing AD with Sketch. In my opinion this is the same as comparing Illustrator with Fireworks. I know, all of those Applications are used to edit vectors, but the use case is still different, and I think real UI Layout-Tools is still a market, that needs improvements in a lot of ways (responsive Layouts/Grids), that would fit the scope of a layout tool. That said, I believe the Affinity Suit could integrate those sorts of use cases: UI-Layout and Typesetting -> Publisher, Asset Creation (i.e. Logo) -> AD and of course Photoediting -> APh

• Staff

Hi halcyon,

My reply was intended to show the general direction Affinity apps are taking. I'm not entering in any specific details because all Affinity apps are still growing/maturing. There's various areas that will be improved/expanded as we move forward and do not reflect yet the intended capabilities of the application and so shouldn't be be directly compared to other apps with several years on the market.  Affinity Designer is a software geared for UI design, however it's still lacking in this area. There's no symbols, the Export Persona is still limited in various aspects (previews, flexibility), there's no pages etc, however it already has a solid feature set for illustrators (even with  some tools/functions missing - vector/skeletal brushes, perspective and warp distortion tools, gradient meshes, automatic tracing etc).nWhat i meant is that some aspects of the apps are more developed in some areas than others. With time things will get balanced. Part of the functionality developed/implemented on some apps of the suite may be ported back or adapted to others when appropriate.

I don't know enough about Publisher at this point to know if it will offer some specific UI functionality/features by itself or to complement Designer or if it's exclusively geared for desktop publishing. We are still several months away from the Beta.

Hi MEB

Thanks for your answer. Of course, we can only talk about what the Affinity Apps are doing right now, and I like the approaches that Affinity Apps introduce - for examples different Personas. My intention was not to compare those Apps with its competitors, but to show the short comings these apps have, and where some potential may lie for the Affinity Apps. I think the UI capabilities of AD are great, how ever currently AD seems in my opinion - and as you noted - more geared towards illustration, and illustration is not graphic design.

I guess this illustration is not graphic design is the whole point I try to make: Graphic Design has due to the mobile shift become a different use case, that it was 5-10 years ago. Browsers also getting better in rendering different assets, and in this development I see potential. I think setting Type, layout a web page / app view to a (fluid) grid, could be a use case for Publisher, as I can imagine that Publisher will have more features implemented by its nature geared to this kind of use cases (i.e. Type engine).