You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer 2 for iPad is crashing and it’s not saving progress.

I’m using an iPad Pro late 2020, not M1. I installed Designer 2 and upload a file that was original made on Adobe Illustrator. I started editing the file and suddenly crashed. When I open the file my progress didn’t saved either. I start the editing again and manually start selecting ‘save’ from the menu to avoid the same experience. It crashes again and to my surprise the progress wasn’t saved either. I open other file, originally made on Affinity Designer 1 just to see if the Adobe file was the problem. It seems is not the file because it crashes again. It doesn’t happen if I start a project from scratch, but as a professional I have lots of projects that I will be opening and this is not good.

I bought the universal license. I support your work. Please fix this bug.

See my comics: dearmascomics.com

Heard my Radio Show: mimegaradio.com

Ask for my services: albertkinng.com

I am also having issues with frequent crashes and work not being saved. I am running Affinity Designer 2 on a iPad Pro 12.9‑inch (6th generation) with M2. My work was originally generated in Affinity Designer, which was having same issues. I upgraded for the very reason that I was hoping Designer 2 would be more stable. I’m not even sure how to save to ensure work is not lost, as the save function does not seem to work every time. “Save As” is marginally more successful, provided it doesn’t crash mid-save. I have a project I am trying to get done and it’s a bit stressful to keep redoing work. Hope there is a simple solution or quick fix.

Hi,

To limit progress loss I think it’s a good idea to go to Preferences/General and set Autosave Interval to 30. It’s the first thing I do every time I install an Affinity App. This way you lose very little progress (I had crashes so far too, but no progress loss). All the best!

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2022 at 1:39 PM, iulian said:

go to Preferences/General and set Autosave Interval to 30

On 11/13/2022 at 6:18 PM, albertkinng said:

Is that works for iPad?

I can't tell if it made any difference because it keeps crashing after doing2 to 5 steps. When I restart the app I realize it didn't save the progress. I see how designer2 is better than the last version, but this problem makes the work more difficult. 
and to think I just bought the suit!

• 2 months later...
22 hours ago, NathanC said:

Apologies for the late reply,

If you haven't already, it would be a beneficial to update to 2.0.4 which will hopefully help alleviate the crashes in the first place. 

I can’t find the update for the apps. Should I remove them and reinstall them again?

• Staff
On 2/11/2023 at 10:13 AM, Muna said:

I can’t find the update for the apps. Should I remove them and reinstall them again?

When you first launch the app, the splash/start screen will indicate your current version number, if it's lower than 2.0.4, you can update your app by pressing on the Affinity app icon at the top left hand corner > 'Check for Updates' , this will then take you to the App store page where you can update your app to the latest version.

1 hour ago, WileE said:

Designer crashes no matter what.

Download Vectornator App (is a free app) see if the same vector make the app crash too. Is that happen then your vector is the problem. First you need to solve that problem with some tools already included in Affinity Designer. Let me know how it goes and I will help you with your Vector.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, JohnHolland.Art said:

I am having the same problem with Designer 2 on iPad. “Save as” always crashes. Every. Single. Time.

Unusable. Disappointing that I upgraded and paid for the suite. What do I do? Adobe?

Not something I have experienced. Are you saving locally or cloud?

Have you tried the beta version? Many fixes being tested.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2023 at 4:58 AM, DM1 said:

Not something I have experienced. Are you saving locally or cloud?

Have you tried the beta version? Many fixes being tested.

I have this issue for years :( some files are a nightmare to work on.

e. g. yesterday it crashed after 2-3 steps, without saving the progress.

I tried to update, also changing saving preferences, and saving manually to iCloud and iPad… after reworkin the artwork for like 10th time I gave up and started from a scratch in a new document and then merged it with the old one.

as you can see in the video, the artwork is super simple - just a few vector and pixel layers.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

For me it started to crash today while sketching. No progress saved. These things remind me why Affinity is still not the best choice for professional work.

I'm on the latest Ipad OS 16.5.1. on the M1 Ipad Pro 12.9 500gb and Designer is ofc. up to date as well.
It's disappointing.

I just started to like it again, and suddenly it keeps crashing.

I used to have an Ipad Air 2019 and the support said it was a RAM issue. Now I have one of the latest and greatest Ipads available out there and the app still makes trouble. :(

On 7/12/2023 at 6:44 AM, animositysomina said:

These things remind me why Affinity is still not the best choice for professional work.

Well… don’t go that far. I use Adobe CC for obvious Agency reasons and in my M1 Mac with 1T SSD all my Adobe Apps crash DAILY. So… crashing is not a good tool to determine if an app is pro or not. Apps will crash, that’s why they send updates often. People find flaws and the developers fix them. 

Your're basically right, but the Adobe Apps haven't crashed for me for a god while now. It was the Wacom drivers that made the apps crash the last time.

Anyways, I am suspecting the Christi‘s Comix Toolbox, that is sold in the Affinity store by the way, to have caused the crashes. With a new file, for now everything seems to work ok.

• 4 months later...
1 minute ago, Sulaiman_ said:

It always crashes on my iPad pro m2, started 2 days ago, and always till now, I was just doing a small edit and crashed. Only several second from I opened the project, no matter what I'm doing it always crashed.

I've tried to restart te ipad, reinstall the app, it doesn't work