You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to 'extract' one shape within another?

Hi All! I'm fairly new to Affinity Photo so pls bear with me 😉

I've got two objects/shapes - one a circle (blue) and one a crescent (black).

The black crescent is the top layer while the blue circle is below and is actually the full 'size' of the circle.

I would like to extract the blue circle's shape as can be seen in the below picture.

Is there a way to cut this exact blue shape out (down the to pixel) and then have it as a new stand alone object?

Thanks for all help and tips!!

Screenshot 2022-11-12 at 22.16.46.png

Hi,

you can use Layer>Geometry>Subtract to get the blue shape. It will consume the source layers, so duplicate them before if required. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Thanks so much for your help! This worked perfectly! I have another question maybe you can help with 🙏

Is there a way to create a shape/object based on the inside of another shape? 

For example can I extract or generate a shape based on the dimensions of the empty inside portion of the zero in the attached picture?

Thanks for your help and patience!

Screenshot 2022-11-13 at 22.01.37.png