You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

masks. what am i doing wrong?

this is something i can't understand. In V1 if i clicked on a pixel layer and then clicked on a mask, the mask was a child (is this correct?) of that layer. In V2 if i click on a layer and then i click on a mask, a mask appears on top of that layer. I can then drag it to the pixel layer, but it is "unpleasant" and time consuming.

Is there something i need to change?

EDIT: i checked the behaviour of live filters layers and it's the same. i click on a gaussian blur (to say) and it becomes a new layer on top of the selected pixel layer, not a child of that layer.

That's not the experience I'm getting, in Affinity Photo v2, If I click on a layer and then click on the mask icon at the bottom of the layers panel and choose one of the types of mask options available, that mask becomes a child of the selected layer.

I'm on Mac Catalina

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Check what's showing in Preferences > Assistant. There should be a setting for adding mask layer to selection as either as a child or new layer. (This is the same as in V1 ... I think.)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, maxegb said:

thanks, but i cannot find it. I'll keep looking, maybe it's somewhere else.

From your screenshot:

122402469_prefspanel.png.9b0ec346e60b6439dd9419182d9ae0d9.png

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hey @Atenni @Hlouwby apologies on the late reply,

Are you still experiencing problems with this as of the latest update (v2.0.4), if you are, could you perhaps provide a screenshot of what your assistant settings are set to?

So long as 'Adding mask layer to selection' is set to 'Add mask based on selection' in the assistant options it should automatically nest the layer based on the currently active selection in the layers panel.

On 2/10/2023 at 12:24 PM, NathanC said:

Are you still experiencing problems with this as of the latest update (v2.0.4), if you are, could you perhaps provide a screenshot of what your assistant settings are set to?

So long as 'Adding mask layer to selection' is set to 'Add mask based on selection' in the assistant options it should automatically nest the layer based on the currently active selection in the layers panel.

i checked : if i add a mask to a pixel layer, it gets nested. if i select an adjustment layer, it gets  on top as a new layer.

37 minutes ago, maxegb said:

i checked : if i add a mask to a pixel layer, it gets nested. if i select an adjustment layer, it gets  on top as a new layer.

As previously mentioned, in the Assistant Manager, there are separate options for adding adjustment layers to selections & for adding mask layers to selections. It sounds like you have one set to add as a new layer & the other not.

Affinity Photo 

19 minutes ago, R C-R said:

As previously mentioned, in the Assistant Manager, there are separate options for adding adjustment layers to selections & for adding mask layers to selections. It sounds like you have one set to add as a new layer & the other not.

i don't want to add an adjustment layer to a selection. i want to add a mask to an adjustment layer. I think i cannot find it.

6 minutes ago, maxegb said:

i don't want to add an adjustment layer to a selection. i want to add a mask to an adjustment layer. I think i cannot find it.

I just use the built in masks on the Adjustment and Live Filter layers.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

10 minutes ago, maxegb said:

Just do it

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

On 2/10/2023 at 12:24 PM, NathanC said:

@maxegb  No, it unfortunately does not. The bug is still there. A screesshot of my assistant ssettings is attached.  Mask layer settings are set to "Add mask layer according to selection", but the mask will be added on top of the adjustment layer. It will not be nested.

(I have all recent Affinity updates and Windows updates un my machine.)

assistant.png

mask layer.png

30 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I just use the built in masks on the Adjustment and Live Filter layers.

which is doable if you have only 1 adjustment layer. but if you have more than one (say a curve and an HSL for example) and you want to mask a part of them, it makes much more sense to add a mask on the first adjustment, paint the mask and then copy it to the next adj. layer. With version 1 it was possible to nest the mask directly. on version 2 it seems that if i select an adjustment and then i mask, the mask appears on the top. No big deal, but still...

29 minutes ago, Atenni said:

@maxegb  No, it unfortunately does not. The bug is still there. A screesshot of my assistant ssettings is attached.  Mask layer settings are set to "Add mask layer according to selection", but the mask will be added on top of the adjustment layer. It will not be nested.

(I have all recent Affinity updates and Windows updates un my machine.)

assistant.png

mask layer.png

@NathanC , i have been quoted and replied to instead of you.

32 minutes ago, Atenni said:

Mask layer settings are set to "Add mask layer according to selection", but the mask will be added on top of the adjustment layer. It will not be nested.

Yes, the add mask to selection option does not work on adjustment layers, which is probably an unfixed bug inherited from V1, but as a workaround you can manually drag the mask layer onto the adjustment layer to nest it into it.

To apply a mask to several adjustment layers, instead of copying it to each of them, you can group the adjustment layers & add the mask to the group.

8 minutes ago, maxegb said:

Oh really, you can drag a mask? really?

I can in V2 on my Mac. are you saying that does not work for you?

Affinity Photo 

17 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Yes, the add mask to selection option does not work on adjustment layers, which is probably an unfixed bug inherited from V1, but as a workaround you can manually drag the mask layer onto the adjustment layer to nest it into it.

To apply a mask to several adjustment layers, instead of copying it to each of them, you can group the adjustment layers & add the mask to the group.

I can in V2 on my Mac. are you saying that does not work for you?

As far as i remember, you could add a mask to  an adjustment layer on V1 with no problems at all.

thanks for the grouping tip. i will try.

of course i can drag a mask. it was in my original post. i was just being sarcastic on the reply, i think it missed the point a little bit.

3 minutes ago, maxegb said:

As far as i remember, you could add a mask to  an adjustment layer on V1 with no problems at all.

I still have AP V1 installed & the add mask to selection option (called 'add as child layer' in that version) does not work for adjustment layers there either, so in that respect both V1 & V2 behave the same, which is probably a bug.

Affinity Photo