You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Keywords Missing in Photo V2

Joe Frazee

I have found that when opening previous photos that contain Keywords, only the last keyword is there, all the others are gone.

And after putting in keywords, saving the file, and then reopen, the keywords are stilling not saving.

Edited by Joe Frazee
Just found additional problem.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, Joe.

I've never noticed that, but I don't often use the keywords. Can you give us a screenshot including the Metadata panel that shows your keywords before saving, and another after reopening?

Did this definitely work for you in V1 (just to make sure it's a long-standing occurrence you only just noticed).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

AffinityPhotoV1 screenshot is of the original photo with keywords form Affinity Photo V1. AffinityPhotoV2 screenshot is what I get when opening the same photo into Affinity Photo V2. And I also attached AffinityPhotoV2 screenshot Resaved in which I resaved the photo from Affinity Photo V2 and then reopened it into Affinity Photo V2. The keywords are still missing. BUT after a little exploring, this seems to happen when the photo is stored on a External Drive.

I hope this makes sense.

AffinityPhotoV1 screenshot.png

AffinityPhotoV2 screenshot.png

AffinityPhotoV2 screenshot Resaved.png

Thanks.

Are you saying that it only happens when you save to an external drive, and not when you save to an internal drive? That seems odd.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

It possibly Exporting to JPGs format. Tested by saving the photo as a native Affinity Photo file and then reopen, the keywords are there, but if I export the photo to JPG, the keywords disappear. So it seems it is not the external drive but exporting a photo to JPG from Affinity Photo V2 that is the problem.

Good detective work. 

-- Walt
PC:

51 minutes ago, Joe Frazee said:

@MarvinR So it is not just the OS on a desktop or iPad. So it is the Export to JPG.

@Joe Frazee I just tested exporting to TIFF on iPad and get the same results. So, it appears it isn’t restricted to a certain Mac OS or the file type a person exports to. I would certainly think other Mac or iPad users would be experiencing the same thing. If they are I hope they don’t remain silent. 

@Murfee and @Joe Frazee  This morning I tested by exporting a JPG file with several keywords.  Like previously when I checked to see if keywords were fully copied to the JPG file only the last keyword in the list was this displayed.  However, I then did something I didn't think of doing yesterday when testing, I opened the same JPG in the software NeoFinder and all keywords were displayed.  So, there is a problem with the way keywords are being handled but it appears that they are not being lost upon export.  If you have another way to check the presents of keywords in a JPG or TIFF you might want to see if you see the entire list of keywords there. So if you are counting on the keywords to be in the JPG when uploading to stock photo sites or other sites that use keywords it looks like other tools can see all the keywords.

Hope this information is of use to you both. 

Peace

Marvin

1 hour ago, MarvinR said:

If you have another way to check the presents of keywords in a JPG or TIFF you might want to see if you see the entire list of keywords there. So if you are counting on the keywords to be in the JPG when uploading to stock photo sites or other sites that use keywords it looks like other tools can see all the keywords.

Thanks. Just confirmed with exiftool, too.

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Joe Frazee,

Many thanks to all for providing additional detail on this issue, I've now been able to replicate this and confirmed that both JPEG and TIFF files only display the final keyword when opened in V2 across all platforms, Interestingly .PNG does work however it re-orders them incorrectly.

This has now all been logged with the developers for resolution. 🙂

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, MarvinR said:

Looks like it is fixed in 2.0.3. Thanks.

From the Release Notes for Photo 2.0.3 on Windows

• Importing .JPG and .TIFF files with Keywords only displays the last keyword in the Metadata panel

-- Walt
PC: