You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Having used V2 for a short time I have a few comments on the bits I have tried.

PROS

The startup assistant screen is better now (almost as good as the Serif Plus one)

The Export preview is much better (as good as the Serif Plus one)

The Layers panel seems more versatile.

The style picker seems quite good but not much different to Paste FX and styles that we had before.

The Shape builder is handy (also a feature from Serif Plus range) but not much different to the boolean tools we already have.

Vector Warp is nice. (also a feature from Serif Plus range)

Knife tool is good (also a feature from Serif Plus range)

CONS

No bitmap trace (also a feature from Serif Plus range)

No Mesh Fill (also a feature from Serif Plus range)

No gestures for touchscreen users

No flood fill tool (also a feature from Serif Plus range)

No Blend/Morph tool

No AI tools

No 3D tools

No Android support

I know I bang on about SerifPlus products. But they were made by this company and had many of these features over 10 years ago.

I know the Affinity range is built on a new engine and has to accommodate Mac and iPad now.

But we have been waiting for 8 years for Affinity to catch up with features, they and most other software have had for years.

I'm hoping we see some of this appear in updates very soon. 

14 minutes ago, spidermurph said:

The Shape builder is handy (also a feature from Serif Plus range) but not much different to the boolean tools we already have.

Knife tool is good (also a feature from Serif Plus range)

They could add those features in V1 already years ago but backed off those for V2 ($$$).

14 minutes ago, spidermurph said:

I'm sure it works in Serif Plus also with images, not only vectors.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/171354-designer-v2-warp-only-for-vector-elements-not-images/

13 minutes ago, spidermurph said:

The shape builder is not really about being able to do anything you couldn't do already - it is more about speed.  With a little practice many of the common operations you might have needed to use the boolean operations for before, can be done much faster using the shape builder, and it can take care of some of the clean-up work that you would have needed to do manually when using the booleans directly.

• 3 months later...
  • Staff
On 11/12/2022 at 2:22 PM, spidermurph said:

No flood fill tool 

Hi - thanks for this feedback. The 2.1 beta has just begun which does include a new vector flood fill, so hopefully at least one thing off your con list ;) There are more details in the post below and it would be great if you wanted to try it out in the beta and let us know what you think - you can sign up to the beta program here.

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2