You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot open Pentax RAW-Files (*.PEF) in Affinity Photo V2

I think this is a bug. When I open a Pentax RWA-file (*.PEF)  in Affinity-Photo V2, I get a blank sheet on my screen (see sreenshot 1). When I change the preset in the develop-studio on the right side, the picture appears and I can proceed (see sreenshot 2). With V2 on my I-Pad there is no problem like this.
In V1 I can open the same file and develop it, without any problems. I'm glad not to have deleet V1 from my Computer. I'M working with Mac OS 12.6.1

Hope you can fix this as well as the problem many users have, when they want to migrate their presets von V1 to V2.

Thank you

Bildschirmfoto 2022-11-12 um 14.47.42.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-11-12 um 14.51.41.png

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay in responding, Friedrich.

That looks like a very odd problem, where for some reason the Exposure control is set to +5 when you initially enter the Develop Persona, which would obviously overexpose the image and make it all white. I'm glad the workaround is such a simple one, but I would find that annoying, too.

You mentioned migrating presets from V1 to V2. Is that something you've done? I didn't think they were part of the data that migrated automatically.

If you've updated to 2.0.3, which was released since your initial post, has that fixed the problem for you? Edit: And if it hasn't, do you have a PEF file you could share here?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for your reply. No, the problem was not solved with version 2.03, but your hint that it is an overexposure, was helpful.  Maybe this bug will be fixed in the next update.
As for the data migration, I did not check it further. I got help from the forum and solved the problem differently. All a bit tricky, but it worked. 

However, if you don't know your way around the depths of the operating system, you're screwed. 
Best regards

Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-12 um 12.45.42.png

Thanks.

As no one else is reporting this (that I have seen), I wonder if moving the Develop Presets from V1 to V2 has perhaps caused your problem with the Exposure slider.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks Walt,

I had this problem from the very beginning, even before I migrated data from V1. Now I found out, what is probably the problem. V2 seems to have porblems with Pentax-RAW files (PEF). If I choose another format (DNG), there is no problem with the Exposure slider. Its always with the PEF-files. So, this bug is beeing prably fixed with 2.04.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Friedrich Huchting,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

I believe I have discovered the cause of this issue with .PEF files in Affinity - can you please open Affinity Photo, then navigate to Affinity Photo 2 > Preferences > Assistant.
In this dialog, please select Develop Assistant and you should see a new window open.

I suspect here you should see the option Exposure Bias set to 'Apply exposure bias as initial state'. Please change this to 'Take No Action', then try loading your .PEF files once again.

I will be logging this as a bug with our developers now, as enabling this option does not affect other RAW formats in the same way.

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!