You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No presets larger than A3?

Hi, I'm excited to get to know and use the v2.0 suite of tools. Already, though, I've hit a minor annoyance that in none of the tools is there a preset for a paper size larger than A3. I was in a hurry today to do a quick mock-up, and had to go back to 1.10 in order to quickly do something in A1. Yes, yes, I can create my own preset, but it seems lame to need to do so for professional-level tools.

23 hours ago, DJF said:

Hi, I'm excited to get to know and use the v2.0 suite of tools. Already, though, I've hit a minor annoyance that in none of the tools is there a preset for a paper size larger than A3. I was in a hurry today to do a quick mock-up, and had to go back to 1.10 in order to quickly do something in A1. Yes, yes, I can create my own preset, but it seems lame to need to do so for professional-level tools.

I noticed that too, and added A2 and A1 as a preset but was unable to add A0. AD made it 840 * 840, instead of 840 * 1188.

• Staff

The list of presets have been kept limited deliberately to keep the scrolling past normally unused sizes (there are very few desktop printers larger than A3)

If you go to the Document setup dialog then all the sizes are still available in those sections 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

As an architect I still use larger than A3 sized pdf's on a daily basis. The last time I actually plotted an A0 has been years ago.

The limited preset list sounds reasonable, but I still wasn't able to add A0 as a preset. I will try it again when I am at my desktop.

Hi, @DJF,

Simply add this preset. Take an existing preset, modify it and save it as A2, A1 or A0.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

• Staff
2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

If you go to the Document setup dialog then all the sizes are still available in those sections

Add your own template having chosen from here if you use one size a lot

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

18 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Add your own template having chosen from here if you use one size a lot

I do understand, that you try to offer a work-around solution.
But actually that is the opposite of usability: the user has to find a way around a software-issue...

During the times of version 1 , Serif-Staff would have answerd, that this change will be reported to the development team....

• Staff

Larger sizes are available in Document setup.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

29 minutes ago, Fritz_H said:

There can't be all the hundreds of formats that exist in the world otherwise it would clutter up the form unnecessarily!
It is however very quick to create and add your own settings.

a4.thumb.png.74e5a7432cb98493373a35916020b271.png

I added the Amazon dimensions I use (and with dimensions in inches), and modified all the existing factory settings, here A4 Press Ready, to fit the constraints of my own printer. I've only done it once.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

11 minutes ago, Pyanepsion said:

There can't be all the hundreds of formats that exist in the world otherwise it would clutter up the form unnecessarily!
It is however very quick to create and add your own settings.

Offering a section called "Architectural" but offering only exotic = non-metric formats tells me a lot about the mindset of the developers.
(Apple first, non-standard first; esp. the latter can also be seen in all those horrible usability flaws..)

38 minutes ago, Fritz_H said:

But actually that is the opposite of usability: the user has to find a way around a software-issue...

During the times of version 1 , Serif-Staff would have answerd, that this change will be reported to the development team....

I normally don't use larger than A4 (if I do then A3 is normally the max) so O am pleased I now don't have to wade through loads of useless sizes. Creating you own custom presets is not a workround, it is a bonus that you can do it. What has been done makes it more usable for many people, obviously not for you but a few mins to set custom presets & templates ain't gonna kill you.

Banner at the top of the forum tells you why they have not had the chance to reply.

• Staff
1 minute ago, Fritz_H said:

Offering a section called "Architectural" but offering only exotic = non-metric formats tells me a lot about the mindset of the developers.

To be honest I think that this is an oversight, could you please list which ones are obviously missing from the architecture section 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

I'm not an architect, but it seems that these are common formats in the United States, not in the rest of the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_size

5 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

The list of presets have been kept limited deliberately to keep the scrolling past normally unused sizes (there are very few desktop printers larger than A3)

Wow that's a bit lame - there's loads of page presets in there that I'd never use, and have now deleted so I've had to add back myself the standard sizes that I do use regularly (A2, A1, A0). At least this is achievable

Also so I don't have to scroll through a load of twaddle that I don't want to see, I view via enabling Favourites which is a really great feature, but would ACE if there was a way of re-ordering - would also be good if favourites was sticky?

Screen Grab.png

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

On 11/13/2022 at 1:44 PM, Dangerous said:

Banner at the top of the forum tells you why they have not had the chance to reply.

Mr. Connor DID reply - but not provide any hint if this change-request will be forwarded to the DEV team or not.
During the time of version 1.x this was a common part of Serif-Team - Feedback.

• Staff
2 hours ago, Fritz_H said:

Mr. Connor DID reply - but not provide any hint if this change-request will be forwarded to the DEV team or not.
During the time of version 1.x this was a common part of Serif-Team - Feedback.

I'm head of QA.... My words have some meaning and Devs will be made aware 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff
On 11/13/2022 at 12:56 PM, Pyanepsion said:

I'm not an architect, but it seems that these are common formats in the United States, not in the rest of the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_size

Nope I meant a shorter common list, not that

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

20 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Nope I meant a shorter common list, not that

I was only pointing out that the ARCH format is only an American format, according to the Wikipedia link.

Well,

To be checked with other architects.

At least in France, it seems that there is a bit of anarchy in this area of the most useful dimension according to an architect I consulted. However, all schools seem to agree on using the International System of Units. The following sizes of material are generally still found from A6 to A0 and more specifically:

• A4 and A3 colour laser printers;
  • Black and white laser printer in A4 and A3;
  • Inkjet plotter up to A0 format;
  • scanners from A3 to A0.

Most then distinguish according to the destination:

DTP Press is in principle the first-line setting.

• DTP Press: 300 dpi, CMYK, PSD and TIFF formats of originals with layer conversion.
  • Office: 150 dpi, CMYK in Word and RGB in PowerPoint, PNG, JPG, GIF compression.
  • Internet: 72 dpi on Mac and 96 dpi on Windows, RGB, PNG compression (the best, it removes blacks), JPG (it removes shades), GIF (it removes colours).

Here are the copies of the corresponding manual pages that were sent to me:

image0000011.thumb.jpg.edb9d9b2091e0b23f0ccb0aa6b3642d4.jpg

Another important point seems to be the scaling values.

image0000001.thumb.jpg.24a4562f1f0cab40c972cb4405ec19a6.jpg

• Staff

@Pyanepsion

I have reported this to the developers and would hope it can be addressed in an early patch. There are 2 problems here one the obvious lack of some larger paper sizes in the Architectural section, but also that Publisher 2's Document setup dialog also has the cut down shorter list of presets, which it should not do (Designer 2 has the correct list)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

On 11/13/2022 at 3:24 PM, MikeTO said:

Tip - add your own preset category and drag the default and custom presets you want into this category. Drag this category to the top of the list of presets.

On 11/13/2022 at 2:09 PM, Dazmondo77 said:

but would ACE if there was a way of re-ordering

ACE - Last week I was trying to re-order page presets, tried all obvious ways of doing this but they wouldn't budge and it wasn't possible - after just reading MikeTO's Tip I thought I'd try again and it's it's working as you'd expect ------ Great stuff ----- looks like it just needed a quit and re-start👍👍👍

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk