You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Byebye Affinity?

I was really looking forward Affinity V2. First bummer was the license model. I bought licenses for Photo, Designer and Publisher almost exactly one year ago for a special offer (around 75 EUR or so for the pack). Now, I would have to pay 119 EUR for the upgrade to V2? Seriously? I don't need the iPad or macOS versions. Why don't you offer a simple uprade for those customers who already bought a license? In more than 30 years I have NEVER EVER paid more for an upgrade than for the original license. Do I miss anything here? Don't get me wrong. 119 EUR is still a great price for the value. However, you usually get a DISCOUNT for upgrading an existing license.

Now, I've just learned that V2 does not offer an EXE. What? It took me hours to make Windows 10 look like Windows 7. I don't want anything that even reminds of an app or tablet design. And of course I prefer to have control over the installation path.

This is a double bummer. I could live with the strange license model. But I will not pay more for a probably inferior product. You've just lost a customer. This is sad, since I really wanted to stay with Affinity.

Edited by MKJJ

I have to apologize. I've just installed V2 for test purposes, and everything worked just fine. Installation was done in a few minutes, and V2 starts a lot faster than V1. Creating links on the desktop or in the task bar was no problem at all. While I would prefer to being able to choose the installation path, this is not a deal breaker.

3 hours ago, MKJJ said:

I bought licenses for Photo, Designer and Publisher almost exactly one year ago for a special offer (around 75 EUR or so for the pack) ... In more than 30 years I have NEVER EVER paid more for an upgrade than for the original license.

So do you expect Serif to offer a different "upgrade price" to each customer depending on the price they originally paid for v1, including discounts, special offers and sale prices? I would have thought you'd be pleased to have got a very good discount for v1, without expecting the same discount every time you upgrade!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

8 minutes ago, SureWeb said:

if you pay in EURO the price is €119.99

That includes the EU VAT which is about 20 %.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

2 minutes ago, MKJJ said:

no field to put in my VAT ID

I guess you should contact Serif. This option should be made available, in my opinion. 

Being a Swiss resident, there was no VAT on my receipt. I had to pay just the CHF 100 net for the whole suite.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

42 minutes ago, SureWeb said:

Yes really! Actually today's exchange rate is better. If you pay in USD the price is $99.99 that's €96.40 or if you pay in EURO the price is €119.99 😉

Actually, you are right! That's a great idea, since I can't enter my VAT ID. Unfortunately, I don't know how to order in USD. The system switches to EUR automatically.

5 minutes ago, MKJJ said:

I don't know how to order in USD. The system switches to EUR automatically.

You would have to change your country in store.serif.com/account/details I guess. I have no idea what the consequences will be though. Proceed at your own risk…

2 hours ago, FRworld said:

As a graphic designer how would you react if a client would ask you to work for free on their 2023 commercial brochure because they already paid for their 2022 brochure you did last year?

Sorry but this section of the forum has become a spoiled brats playground.

+1 likes for this post. Unfortunately the rest of my likes are being held up on credit.

V1 was an investment product in many ways. They offered more programs btw per license, that some are conveniently overlooking. With other programs I have such as CSP, I have to worry about deactivation limits, etc. I have several machines as I am a system builder, but I can only use on two machines in some cases. Since the deactivation limit is hidden, I don't risk installing on my other machines where it could be useful. Affinity does not care how many times I install. They want me to use the program as much as possible and this is great for my workflow. Though the multi-platform doesn't impact me, but I know a few people I referred product to who weren't sure if they were going to pick up Windows or Mac. Know more creatives than not rocking Windows & Mac machines, though this is anecdotal.

With all the asking for Adobe-like features, it only makes sense the price will have to go up to compete with a flagship professional product... hopefully not $1000-1200, but I would pay far more for a professional suite that offers perpetual license and fits in with my workflow. Hopefully in the future they offer an easier upgrade scheme so that we can all be investors and not be so worried about having to catch discounts at "the right time". After all, we are suffering inflation and it is nearing Christmas time, Thanksgiving in the US... not ideal for many.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

On 11/12/2022 at 5:20 PM, MKJJ said:

Now, I've just learned that V2 does not offer an EXE. What?

There was a post today that they are going to bring out a MSI installer, which in effect will give the same functionality you're looking for from an EXE file.

Only niche uses would notice difference between the two from my understanding of each.

Aussie iTV

Windows 10 | Ryzen 9 5900X | RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6

Affinity Designer | Affinity Photo | Affinity Publisher

This was a false alarm. While I don't like that I can't choose the installation path, the setup was really not a problem at all. Icons were there, and links to the desktop and task bar could be created easily. Some posts here told a different story, but for me it worked just fine. So, no complains here.