You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Infrared white balance

zibrah

When setting the white balance on a fuji raw file in develop the color is way off. The temperature goes to the maximum giving an extreme yellow color.

It happens whether I select with a point or option and drag to select an area. Affinity 1 did a great job of white balancing infrared.

All of the settings are the same in both programs.

The first is the original file and white balance.

The second is after white balance in Version 1

The third is after white balance in Version 2

I hope it gets worked out because Version 2 is way off... making it all but unusable for infrared

MacBook Pro intel.  Big Sur

Edit: I just wanted to add that in V1 that the temperature would rocket to 25,000 but the results were good.

In V2 it rockets to 25000 but obviously the result and value is way off and incorrect (extreme yellow/orange). 

I have tried all the combinations in the color and graphics settings to no avail. I have used the integrated and dedicated graphics cards and all of the metal and OpenGL settings possible again with the same results and can replicate it every time. It appears to be broken when compared to V1

DSCF5296 original.jpg

DSCF5296 V1 WB.jpg

DSCF5296 V2 WB.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, NoNo said:

Thank you very much. With this hopefully unwanted change, version 2 is unfortunately worthless compared to version 1 for photographers who use the near infrared (NIR) with converted cameras.

Worthless maybe a bit exaggerated conclusion. There are several ways to achieve white balance by other methods (curves, levels, …).

IR Photography is more a creative discipline, not a science. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

1 minute ago, NotMyFault said:

Worthless maybe a bit exaggerated conclusion. There are several ways to achieve white balance by other methods (curves, levels, …).

IR Photography is more a creative discipline, not a science. 

While it is a creative discipline, setting white balance is not part of the creative bit (because this is the starting point, literally setting a reference for what white is, from which any other edits are to be applied and it is meant to make a picture look as neutral as possible).
As a side note, I'd like to mention it's possible to set it correctly in the develop persona using overlays (for example making a gradient that fills the entire picture and adjusting it twice). This is not ideal but it works for now.

I shoot Infrared with a Canon and an infrared filter on my old Nikkor glass. I use a Tripod because the exposure times are really long. I have never used the White balance tool for this. About the only settings I use in the Develop Persona are some noise removal and a bit of exposure adjusting, less is more for the IR work I think. Then I use a fill layer with the colour chosen by clicking on the spot I would consider to be 'white' in the final picture. Then I set the Fill Layer's blend mode to Divide. I get some good results.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

This indirect solution may work untested with a longpass filter around 700nm, but there are many other IR filters that have nothing in common with this category of IR filters. My goal are false color IR photos, where many natural colors are preserved in addition to the wood effect. This works fine with AP 1 but not with AP 2. So why want to use AP 2 with any weird tricks?

A few false color IR photos processed with AP 1:

False_Color_IR.thumb.jpg.623415a36e61497c5ad8e65fbae974f6.jpg

• Staff

Thanks for the samples. 

I think we've worked out what is happening. The White Balance Tool now affects Tint in some sort of negative way.

We are speaking with dev at the moment for a possible solution. 

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately with some unwanted side effect:

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

6 minutes ago, CoilM said:

Just to let you know that I tried downgrading to 2.0.0 and the error is still the same.

Ok, then we may have 2 unrelated bugs affecting white balance for RAF files.