You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Very slow application startup

rvst

Affinity photo 1 starts up in 4.1 seconds

Affinity photo 2 starts up in 11.6 seconds

I don't even see the splash screen until just after the 6 second mark.

This 11.6 second startup time is on a 16 core Ryzen 5950x overclocked to 5Ghz with 128GB RAM and a Samsung 980 Pro nvme SSD, so I'm pretty sure its starting a lot slower on most people's machines. 

That's a very slow startup time for Affinity 2.

11 minutes ago, culturalproduct said:

Just FYI - startup for V2 Photo on a MacBook M1 is 4 seconds ish. At 4 seconds I'm looking at the app and the open dialogue panel.

Affinity made the incomprehensible decision to move the app architecture in Windows to a Windows App. It's not a normal Windows program. The fact that it starts so much quicker on Mac is probably a good indication that this app architecture change in Windows is the reason for the slow startup time

Startup times are very similar on my machines (see signature) for the V1 and V2 apps.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, stokerg said:

Hi @rvst,

We now have a MSI/EXE installer which you can install and its unsandboxed by default, see here for more on that.  It's better than running a unsandboxed MSIX version, which isn't a supported method of install.

Oh, I installed the MSI long ago, when the test 2.03. installer was made available. You're replying to something from the beginning of November, but thanks for the heads up anyway. I was aware when unsandboxing it that it wasn't supported.