You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Easiest way to attach objects each other?

What's the easiest way to attach multiple objects each other precisely without a gap?
I'm using the point transform tool and the snap to object geometry option, but it's often not precise or difficult.

Attached picture is just an example, not exactly what I want. the situation is different each time.

attach-objects.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Why don't you explore Snapping tool (on the toolbar) in depth? There are plenty of options and I believe you will find the right one.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

As far as I can tell there is no "edge detection" snapping.

On 11/11/2022 at 2:24 PM, ashf said:

What's the easiest way to attach multiple objects each other precisely without a gap?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

In Designer, you can snap a node using the node tool to the curve of another layer. Just select all nodes of one object, then click-drag one node and drag to the edge of other objects.

This does not help to snap one object to more than a second object or 2 node / edge pairs in parallel.

It can help adding nodes at intended contact points.

Another trick is using helper objects of almost invisible size.

But there is no general solution covering all possible situations.

If you can live with accuracy of <=1px, using pixel mode and channels adjustment can help to align shapes manually so that the gap becomes invisible.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Yeah, actually this is not possible because of precision of the Bezier If I need high accuracy on that, according to what I found.
This requires calculation of the "common tangents" and it seems that some CAD software have it. (Not even Illustrator can.)
Not sure it can be implemented in Affinity.

17 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

Another trick is using helper objects

15 hours ago, ashf said:

This requires calculation of the "common tangents"

I just looked up the math of an ellipse (hey, it's been over 40 years since my last geometry lessons!) on mathopenref.com/ellipsefoci.html and mathopenref.com/ellipsetangent.html

So what we need here is to construct "helper tangents" for each object. That's easy with a circle, needs a bit more math with an ellipse to find its focus points: 
F = √(j^2 − n^2)
See also the source code of the ellipsetangent.html page on how the interactive JS applet works. (I'm no JS programmer so don't ask me…)
When you have your tangents, you only have to turn on appropriate object and node snapping options.

~~~

Alternatively, keep in mind that you can zoom in as close as more than whopping 300000000 % (!) and you'll still see the curves to align them so that they touch. Set the blend modes to Multiply to see when they overlap. Use the Transform Origin snapping to object geometry to align multiple ellipses. In the end you can add an invisible shape with nodes at the ellipses centres and at the touching points, so that you don't have to search for them again:

ade_align_ellipses_geometry.png.0c84c7dde9033f2d83c5500d3aba8ad7.png

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

11 minutes ago, loukash said:

construct "helper tangents" for each object.
[…]
zoom in

Or alternatively, get VectorStyler:

vs_align_ellipses_geometry.png.a29d3279496f2438fbe636c85dfe9fe5.png

That would be exactly one of those cases what I have bought VS for (while it was on sale last month).
Then just copy the shapes back to Affinity. Works fine.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2