You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer crashes and fills disk upon saving

I'm using the trial version of Affinity Designer, so I'm very new to the app. I was trying to save a modified jpg as a new project. After I clicked Save, the app stopped responding, and the cursor changed to beachball. While the app was beachballing, something ate all my remaining disk space, which I think was 20-30 gigs or so. The bitmaps I used in the project couldn't have taken anything near that much space. 

Before saving I had created a fill layer on a layer group, so this might have something to do with the crash. I was also able to reproduce the beachball freeze using a fill layer on the same layer group in a recovered project file, but this time not being able to even open the saving dialog, and no disk space was missing. The project file is too big to attach, but you can try reproducing the crash yourself: Group some bitmap layers together and click on the colour wheel. 

After each crash I have to force AD to quit. After relaunching it a few times the missing disk space seemed to recover bit by bit. Also the recovery file saved an hour of work, so I'm good. 

Any ideas on what's going on here?

• Staff

Hi Julion,

Thanks for the file.

I have investigated the layers and the contents of the fridge are very large images that have been reduced and this is placing an extra overhead on the memory. When I rasterised the images to the placed size I reduced the size of the afdesign file was reduced to 569Kb rather than 35Mb.

To make the images higher quality you can resize the objects to larger than placed and then rasterise and re-shrink down.

I have attached the document that I rasterised can you check if this works better on you Mac.

Regards,

Darren

open fridge amended.afdesign

• 7 years later...
On 1/19/2016 at 10:41 AM, DWright said:

Hi Julion,

Thanks for the file.

I have investigated the layers and the contents of the fridge are very large images that have been reduced and this is placing an extra overhead on the memory. When I rasterised the images to the placed size I reduced the size of the afdesign file was reduced to 569Kb rather than 35Mb.

To make the images higher quality you can resize the objects to larger than placed and then rasterise and re-shrink down.

I have attached the document that I rasterised can you check if this works better on you Mac.

Regards,

Darren

open fridge amended.afdesign 569.08 kB · 5 downloads

I have this same file saving issue on Designer 2 on an M1 14 inch MacBook Pro with 16gigs of memory, just as the user before mentioned. I end up having to force quit and open a recovery file. The total file size comes in around 50mb. Based I what you just explained am I reading right that Designer 2 can't handle large files anymore? It should be noted this happens when I am doing a slice export.

Grave_Robber.afdesign