You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't Batch Place with Alt+Click

Cealcrest

The external Batch Place function described from 2:15–2:45 in the official tutorial video does not work for me. (See here: https://youtu.be/kTAwaA4zvHU?t=135)

When I try this, my images open individually as new tabbed projects. (See screenshot.) Which gets pretty fun when there are 50 images. I have tried restarting my app and laptop, using existing (v1 originated) files and new (v2 originated) files. The Place Images panel refuses to populate with this method.

image.thumb.png.716f37953f058037ce9d29f454423025.png

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

Works OK on Windows

The only want I can get it to do what you are experiencing is if I drag files from "finder" onto the UI rather than onto the document and then release the mouse

(Which is what you would normally do if you wanted to open multiple files at once)

A video from you may reveal some more details if someone with a Mac cannot reproduce what you are seeing

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi @Cealcrest I just tried this and it worked as described in the linked video: I'm currently on macOS Big Sur.

But I think I just replicated the problem you described.  When you drag the files into Publisher's Document View and hold down the option key, ensure you're anywhere over one of the pages of your document.  Anywhere.  Do that and the Place Images panel will magically appear and be filled with your images.  However, if you drop the files in the background outside one of the pages (I believe the correct term for this area is the pasteboard), then you'll get them opening in tabs as you described.

It doesn't matter when you option-drop the files onto the page if they're over a picture frame or not.  That frame will not be populated at that stage.  That will only happen when the Place Images panel has loaded up and you click a frame to place the first image - or click a blank space on the page to place the next image without requiring a frame.

Hope this helps?

if that doesn't resolve it for you, then a screen recording would help shed more light on exactly how that's not working for you.

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.1.1 release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

• 11 months later...

I still have a variation of this issue and the solution from @GaryLearnTech doesn't work. Whether I release the mouse over a blank area on a page or over a frame on a page, only one image is placed (the last image in the list selected, coincidentally). None of the images load into the place images panel. I'm ready to believe it's user error; I just cannot for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

In the video, please do not get distracted by the fact that the first image is placed in an already occupied frame. Occupied or empty, I get the same result. I've also tried switching to Publisher by swiping with three fingers versus the Cmd+Tab shortcut and I get the same result with both of those as well.

Help, please!

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

Hi @Cealcrest,

I don't believe you're doing anything wrong, the function appears to be broken in Publisher 2.2.1 and the current 2.3.0.2096 Beta. It's working correctly in 2.0.4 however so this looks like a regression which needs to be logged.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0.2301 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0.2301 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0.2301
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

Hi @Hangman and @Gabe. Thank you! Thought I was losing it lol

I reported this bug in July

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

The issue "Place Image Panel doesn't show when drag drop multiple images while holding Option" (REF: AF-1004) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.4.0.2185".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.