You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot reopen Publisher 2.0 after crash

JDISALVO

Wanted to update that I reproduced the exact same crash after a weekend away from work with the computer shut down.

This morning my file froze while I was on a video call with colleagues panning around the document to demonstrate my progress. After forcing a quit, I can't seem to reopen Publisher. The software goes through the process of loading fonts and other settings before hanging on this screen:

image.thumb.png.adc4591d96aa197544dde6bf5a075eee.png

7 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Try rebooting your system.

As stated in the original post, Publisher will only reopen after rebooting the entire computer, which I have been forced to do close to 20 times in the past week. Am I misunderstanding - is there something else to be rebooted?

30 minutes ago, JDISALVO said:

As stated in the original post, Publisher will only reopen after rebooting the entire computer, which I have been forced to do close to 20 times in the past week. Am I misunderstanding - is there something else to be rebooted?

Indeed, you mentioned rebooting. So sorry, I hadn't read your post carefully enough. Hope you get the issue sorted!

2 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Indeed, you mentioned rebooting. So sorry, I hadn't read your post carefully enough. Hope you get the issue sorted!

No worries, thank you for the response regardless.

Still interested to hear if others have experienced this and whether they've found a workaround.

20 hours ago, RichardMH said:

If you haven't already, try turning off hardware acceleration. Edit->Preferences->Performance.

I assume your graphics drivers are up to date.

Posting crash reports will help them sort it out.

Thanks for this suggestion! Hardware acceleration is turned off already (part of my own troubleshooting routine), and drivers are all up to date.

I will begin to save and post crash logs when this occurs (still going on but less frequent this week).

Update: I realized I may have incorrectly characterized what's happening as a "crash," when in fact what is happening is a fatal freeze that requires a me to force quit the application (either via Task Manager "end task" or the dialog that inquires if you want to force quit or wait for the application to respond)

I mention this because I experienced another one of these fatal freezes this afternoon that lost maybe 30 minutes of work. I immediately opened the folder where I would expect to find a crash report but the folder is empty. Wondering if this opens up other possible fixes?