You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't open document from previous version

Jpburns

Testing trial version with 17 page document created in 1.10.5.

Looks like it's opening it (asks permission to access files, starts displaying pages...), but then page thumbnails show blank pages, then it beachballs. I walked away for a few minutes but no joy. Have to force quit.

Not sure I want to use this with an earlier file. Scary.

image.png.7ad649d87a7d91a1c7759797b61e8598.png

I haven't had any issues with my v1 files but here are some tips.

First, back up your latest v1 file just for safety if you haven't already.

Next, try a few different documents. Is it all documents or just one?

Next, if there are linked images changed them to embedded and then back to linked using v1. And then regardless of whether there were any linked images or not, choose Save As. Try opening this file in v2.

If none of that works, start Publisher 2 and go to Preferences > Performance. Change Hardware Acceleration from Enable Metal to off. Close and it should restart. After restarting change Display, which was previously disabled, from Metal to OpenGL. Now try your document.

Good luck!

111861803_Screenshot2022-11-11at4_52_05PM.thumb.png.eb45c38e15e015774477fb202e242a71.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

This continues to be a problem. I've gone through each placed page (mostly Designer full pages linked in the Publisher V1 document.

I've tried:

• Opening V1 document in V2
  • Copying document to another folder and tried to open it
  • Embedding linked documents in V1, and then tried opening in V2
  • Saving as package and opening in V2
  • Importing the pages into a new V2 document
  • Installing new copy of Publisher 2 from Serif website, over copy originally downloaded from the Mac App store
  • Suggestions from MikeTO, above, regarding Metal/OpenGL.

... and it all results in an eventual beachball, after pages become blank during a scroll. I'm happy to send a crash log if that would help.

The document itself is NDAed. Basically a comic book with 18 pages plus inside/outside cover (20 pages). Most are Designer documents with additional type layers above (word balloons, text boxes, etc).

Really frustrating. I know y'all're playing catch up, but have gotten no response as of yet.

On 11/11/2022 at 10:10 PM, Jpburns said:

Not sure I want to use this with an earlier file. Scary.

On 11/11/2022 at 10:54 PM, MikeTO said:

Next, try a few different documents. Is it all documents or just one?

So, did you try with (copies) of other v1-documents? (Sorry If you already said and I missed it)

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

2 hours ago, woefi said:

So, did you try with (copies) of other v1-documents? (Sorry If you already said and I missed it)

Another random v1 file opened fine. This is why I went back to check the placed designer files to see if anything was weird in this one. Some files were at different dpi, so I made them all the same (300) dpi, but it made no difference. 

• Staff

I'm afraid a crash report will only tell us what we already know, but upload it and we can have a look. We would need the file to see what's going on. I understand it's under NDA, that's why I provided a private upload link. It you can't upload it, that's understandable, but there's not much we can do. Sorry. 

41 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I'm afraid a crash report will only tell us what we already know, but upload it and we can have a look. We would need the file to see what's going on. I understand it's under NDA, that's why I provided a private upload link. It you can't upload it, that's understandable, but there's not much we can do. Sorry. 

OK.... I just spent forever narrowing it down to one problematic page, and isolating it in a new file that will refuse to load at all in V2. I uploaded it to that dropbox link you provided earlier. There's a notice at the top of the window saying it's loading the file (again, one page) but it never loads. This is slightly different than initial behavior where it'd beachball after scrolling a bit, and having pages vanish from thumbnails and main pages. This one just... never loads.

image.png.af7da11f1754da4411c72fc1fe3f7f90.png

My deep suspicion is that this page barfs because of a combination of pixel and vector art, as there's a layer with an image on it, with a word balloon behind it.

image.png.ba04b7c0dfeee780a676ef20906dcf6c.pngimage.png.9c2eb33cdc6baa0d909a116aea184626.png

Please let me know what you find. When making comic books, this might be a fairly common occurrence.

Thanks.

6 hours ago, Gabe said:

Thanks. This seems to be caused by the "Plants absorb CO2 during photosynthesis…"  text frame. I'll get it logged. We saw a couple other similar issues which originated from text not top vertically aligned. 

No... It's not that one. I've narrowed it down to one (fairly normal) block of text.

image.png.5862cd0d8b8b445cfbd2bc2812f167b5.png

Please try to open this file in V2. It never opens for me.

Broken file 2.afpub

Dragging that text block just a little wider fixes the problem, even on the full original version of the file.

Something that changed between versions?

It's using a named style:

centered comic + Font size: 7 pt; Character fill: R:0 G:0 B:0; Align paragraph: Left; Auto hyphenation: On; Use space between same styles: On; Space before: 0 pt; Space after: 0 pt; Paragraph decorations

Here's the paragraph decoration part:

image.png.b8db947b7148ae4b4c2a86aca71b9474.png

8 minutes ago, Jpburns said:

Please try to open this file in V2. It never opens for me.

This one opens fine for me in v2 on Ventura. Now I don't have the font that's used, CC Meanwhile, so perhaps try uninstalling that font for a minute while you test opening the file with the font gone.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

12 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

This one opens fine for me in v2 on Ventura. Now I don't have the font that's used, CC Meanwhile, so perhaps try uninstalling that font for a minute while you test opening the file with the font gone.

Yeah, not using Ventura...

Uninstalling the font is not really an option, as it is a comic book, and it's the lettering font that I use. Perhaps it's not barfing on your system because you don't have the font? Overly sensitive to kerning tables or something?

Plus, It WORKS in version 1. Something changed between versions to make it not work in version 2.

And it works if I drag the text box slightly wider (in V1) and try to open in V2.

So I wouldn't be too quick to blame it on the font. I know this is an edge case, but it might point you to another problem in the code update that should be fixed.

22 minutes ago, Jpburns said:

So I wouldn't be too quick to blame it on the font. I know this is an edge case, but it might point you to another problem in the code update that should be fixed.

I was just suggesting that you uninstall the font temporarily to test whether you can open the document without the font.

On 11/15/2022 at 4:10 PM, MikeTO said:

Here's a better test, using Arial Bold. Use this video as a reference for the actions to test (doesn't show beachball, but frantic arrow indicates when it beachballed...)

1. Open the file
  2. select the text box
  3. shorten the box horizontally, allowing the text to reflow.
  4. Ka-blam!

file to test.afpub