You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Strange/broken light UI style

Peter K

I prefer to use light UI on macOS and I must say that version 2 has lots of serious issues with this option. It looks like nobody bothered to test it.

• Different UI brightness right after setting light UI and after swithing to different app and back.
  • Too dark background of selected buttons – bad contrast with icon.
  • Too dark backgrond of all buttons actually. Hard to distinguish between normal state, pressed and disabled.
  • Select boxes have dark background, they look like disabled. (Input boxes are white)
  • All icons on buttons are flat with very low contrast. (Icons in dark mode are much more colorful with 3D effect.)

Overall it is so bad that it forces me to use dark UI instead. Version 1 of Affinity products do much better job in UI usability.

Affinity light UI.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Peter K,

I can reproduce the UI changing when switching apps - I have absolutely no explanation for that. I will feed this back to development.

• Update for the above comment: I've just tried a few other apps that have a Light UI and noticed that some of them change depending on focus. Still, I will ask the developers to look.

I will also pass the other comments back. Thanks for taking the time to post.

On 11/11/2022 at 9:45 PM, Peter K said:

Different UI brightness right after setting light UI and after swithing to different app and back.

Can confirm, using Catalina. To avoid this, the only workaround so far is to turn the UI Brightness slider down completely.

Too dark background of selected buttons – bad contrast with icon.

+1

Too dark backgrond of all buttons actually. Hard to distinguish between normal state, pressed and disabled.

+1
Although in some rare instances like the Edit All Layers button, it's now way better than it was in v1.

Select boxes have dark background, they look like disabled. (Input boxes are white)

+1

All icons on buttons are flat with very low contrast.

+1
In fact, for the first time in all those years I've activated the monochrome icons. And in v2, I actually like them! :) 

Overall it is so bad that it forces me to use dark UI instead.

I also tried Dark UI, but nevertheless I changed back to the Light UI after two days because it's too much strain on my aging eyesight. 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

16 hours ago, Chris B said:

Update for the above comment: I've just tried a few other apps that have a Light UI and noticed that some of them change depending on focus. Still, I will ask the developers to look.

Thank you Chris for the response. If you want to follow system behavior, application without focus should have darker UI with grayscale icons (macOS Monterey). I think that older versions of macOS use different approach, but I'm not sure right now. However, if your products use custom UI theme, you could implement the latest modern behavior. Or just don't change UI colors at all (many 3-rd party apps do that).

ui.png

15 hours ago, loukash said:

To avoid this, the only workaround so far is to turn the UI Brightness slider down completely.

Interesting :) The brightest UI together with maximum text contrast is as actually usable. Thanks for the tip.

However, I would like to have UI as bright as other system apps.

I also prefer working in light mode, especially during the daytime. And I have to say that I 100% agree that the light mode UI in V1 is a much better user experience than V2's light mode. The dark theme of V2 is beautiful, but it's quite apparent that light mode just did not receive the same amount of love and care.

• 4 weeks later...