You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New version still no DDS support

Hi,

We were many to ask the DDS support (import/export) mostly export and no new format support. :(

This without counting only MSIX. We are many too to block spy functions in Windows.

If Serif continue to ignore customers and lick GAFAM's boots (to be polite) I'll switch to an alternative and I won't be the only one.

Edited by Breat

To add to m.vlads comment, DDS- DirectDraw Surface is a common and standard file format which massively can compress files.
When compared to a texture with 32-bits per color, a block-compressed texture can be up to 75 percent smaller. Applications usually see a performance increase when using block compression because of the smaller memory footprint.

There are different Versions of compression available with like  BC1,BC2... - BC7.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/direct3d11/texture-block-compression-in-direct3d-11

compressimg-1536-montage.png

The Layout information of how a DDS file should look like is freely available.
Potential patent issues for the S3 Texture compression technology are waved and gone since 2018.

Serif could implement it, here a layout guide for the fileformat; https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/direct3ddds/dx-graphics-dds-pguide

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | https://bansheebyte.artstation.com/store

Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

I see. It’s a Windows specific format. That’s why I never heard of it. 

That may be the reason why it’s missing, too. As far as I remember the Affinity suite is developed leading on Mac/iOS. 

Mac mini M1 / Ryzen 5600H & RTX3050 mobile / iPad Pro 1st - all with latest non beta release of Affinity

It might have been back in the past but DDS can be also used within vulcan so its usage is more broad covering games and application development.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | https://bansheebyte.artstation.com/store

Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

• 4 weeks later...

This has been a topic since ... when? ... 2017 at least, maybe earlier.

The OP hits the key word here still ... Affinity have known about DDS and the markets it could open for them for years. However, it seems the forum posts are a couple of hundred complaints short of what it would take them to act. That so much effort went into something arguably far more niche (astronomical photo handling) is baffling.

But at least we got .webp, right? Though, not with animation support as far as I can see - though export persona seems like it would be a useful way to support saving web animations - they could even support GIF properly - but that whole area of Affinity is lacking love and attention. I have exports for sprite games with multiple hundreds of images in them and there's a lot that could ease my workflow.

A more pressing question is why DDS can't be solved with a third-party plugin?

Adding good support for third-party exporters (or importers) would take the load off Affinity and make adding their own imports and exports easier too. It's an area where Affinity totally lacks parity with that other program.

On 11/11/2022 at 8:28 PM, Breat said:

Hi,

We were many to ask the DDS support (import/export) mostly export and no new format support. :(

This without counting only MSIX. We are many too to block spy functions in Windows.

If Serif continue to ignore customers and lick GAFAM's boots (to be polite) I'll switch to an alternative and I won't be the only one.

And yes for me as well, MSIX is not suitable for our PC's... Waiting for exe/msi. Or V2 is useless for us.