You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No .exe, no interest

2 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

People who can download the MSIX for V2 (owners of a publisher 2 license on Windows or owners of a universal license) will be able to download and use the MSI instead. No extra cost over your V2 purchase 

Makes sense, it's not like it's a whole 'nother program, it's just another method of installation.

1 hour ago, Stephen_M said:

Great news, I was going to buy it but my IT boss has said no (no msi, no software). I find it refreshing that a software company that actually listened. It would have been a shame to destroy all you have done over such a, in my opinion, rather backward decision. We don't have to follow MS all the time. Independence is great.

Will your system requirements regrading Windows version stiil be so rigid.

Will you also offer a discount for the msi version when it comes, cheeky I know but you have to ask. The users that didn't get it know will then miss out.

Privately I will stick to V1 until things change and is the decision to no longer support V1 set in stone.

Just a suggestion, maybe tell your IT boss to get it now for the discount price instead of paying $70 or $169 when the msi drops. It's like a pre-order at a low price where you can still kinda play with the app version in the mean time.

Also would like to say Great Move buy the Serif team for announcing this. I will be switching to msi when it comes. Feels good when a company is listening with empathy and I know my investment is in a good place.

Edited by Mistro

17 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

We've had a meeting this morning and decided to ALSO offer MSI installers, to those people who would like them. I can't tell you when this will happen, as there is engineering work that will be required to allow this to happen, but we hope it won't be long.

Thanks for your feedback!

Thanks you for that decision!!!

Thanks for the change and thanks to everyone for raising it. I was not aware of this so I uninstalled the software within seconds as I couldn't even find where the installation location is, thought something was broken (no prior experience with msix). Glad to hear that the usual installer is coming.

I have used Affinity Photo since it’s release in 2017/2018 and was hoping that the new release V2 would enab,e me to finally move away from PS and Lightroom. Alas try as I might I cannot get the software to install. The choice of using .MSIX files to install this software is riddled with problems as detailed in the multitude of emails below.

Seriff please ship a traditional .exe installer that works otherwise you will lose many of your users. I reiterate, just issue a traditional.exe installer please as the majority of software houses do.

On 11/14/2022 at 3:01 PM, Patrick Connor said:

People who can download the MSIX for V2 (owners of a publisher 2 license on Windows or owners of a universal license) will be able to download and use the MSI instead. No extra cost over your V2 purchase 

@Patrick Connor Do we know how much longer for the MSI installers? I have purchased this on the 19th, but yet unable to use as i am not allowed to install the original installers .

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

On 11/12/2022 at 6:58 PM, laurentia said:

Windows users are not like Apple users, they need to see under the hood and the "WindowsApps" folder is not accessible even as an admin. 

Get off your high horse. Most of the time on macOS apps are installed by drag and dropping a .app bundle that we copy wherever we want. macOS is not iOS or iPadOS.

• Staff
19 hours ago, thegary said:

Do we know how much longer for the MSI installers? I have purchased this on the 19th, but yet unable to use as i am not allowed to install the original installers .

We clearly originally did not plan to distribute the MSI generically so there is quite a lot of testing & fixing required. We are likely to release MSI installers when we do the first patch, so hopefully before Christmas. At the moment some functionality like StudioLink and Edit in are non functional. Sorry this is far from straightforward given the way the applications share downloaded content and created assets/brushes.

We need to address these and anything else we find before MSI installers are made available more generally, or we will just be introducing more problems than it resolves.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

6 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

We clearly originally did not plan to distribute the MSI generically so there is quite a lot of testing & fixing required. We are likely to release MSI installers when we do the first patch, so hopefully before Christmas. At the moment some functionality like StudioLink and Edit in are non functional. Sorry this is far from straightforward given the way the applications share downloaded content and created assets/brushes.

We need to address these and anything else we find before MSI installers are made available more generally, or we will just be introducing more problems than it resolves.

@Patrick Connor Thank you for the update. I understand what you  are saying completely. Its great to wait for the first patch as well.  Look forward to using it. Thank you to SERIF again for making MSI installers. It was a deal breaker for me. Not my choice, but MSI will fix the problem.

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

1 hour ago, LTorrecilla said:

I'm just following this topic because I'm too interested in a traditional installer

Just FYI, you don't need to post in a topic to follow it. Just click the Follow button at the top or bottom of the page (depending on the size of browser screen you have).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 11/23/2022 at 12:10 PM, Patrick Connor said:

Thanks for the update Patrick

• Staff
4 minutes ago, Fritz_H said:

I know, Serif said:
" I can't tell you when this will happen..."

but: will the new installer be available BEFORE the time limited -40% offer ends?

Thanks.

I understand why this is the obvious question, and we're doing our best to achieve that.

Installing the MSIX in the meantime and swapping out for the EXE/MSI when released is an option 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

I understand why this is the obvious question, and we're doing our best to achieve that.

Installing the MSIX in the meantime and swapping out for the EXE/MSI when released is an option 

As a v1 user (all three apps), I am so sad and disappointed by these decisions. I was excited to try the new version, but to my great surprise, I can't even install it on LTSC windows because the installation is in an MSIX package. Searching the forum, I found that you have decided to offer an exe/msi installer in the future. But now I see that the discount on the whole package will be available for a short time, during which the exe/msi package will probably not be available yet. So I should blind buy, even though I can't install it yet?

• Staff
1 hour ago, gogi said:

I can't even install it on LTSC windows

And

1 hour ago, gogi said:

So I should blind buy, even though I can't install it yet?

No, do not buy

Windows 10 & Windows 11 are the only supported operating system for Affinity V2 on Windows. 

The MSI/EXE install will not be aimed at LTSC OS either, sorry.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

5 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

And

No, do not buy

Windows 10 & Windows 11 are the only supported operating system for Affinity V2 on Windows. 

Errrm - Looking at the Microsoft page they say this about LTSC - so please explain why the MSI would not install?

The following table summarizes equivalent feature update versions of Windows 10 LTSC and General Availability Channel (GA Channel) releases.

LTSC release Equivalent GA Channel release Availability date
Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2015 Windows 10, Version 1507 7/29/2015
Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2016 Windows 10, Version 1607 8/2/2016
Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 Windows 10, Version 1809 11/13/2018
Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 Windows 10, Version 21H2 11/16/2021

14 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

And

No, do not buy

It is Windows 10 LTSC 2021 Version 21H2.

Interesting, but if msix is unpacked with 7zip, Designer can be started directly from the exe, and it seems to work normally.
For what exact reason would it not work?

• Staff
12 minutes ago, BigOldFixer said:

so please explain why the MSI would not install.

The MSI would technically install, but will be wrapped in an install EXE that checks for a minimum OS.

The application is not aimed at the features of LTSE. If you find a way to get it running then it will probably run but it's not a supported OS so we will likely discourage installation and potentially also display a "not supported" message on run up.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff
7 minutes ago, gogi said:

Interesting, but if msix is unpacked with 7zip, Designer can be started directly from the exe, and it seems to work normally.

Agreed, but it's not a supported method of install, and likely won't patch. A number of features won't work, so it's unsupported. Please don't do this or encourage others to

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

11 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Agreed, but it's not a supported method of install, and likely won't patch. A number of features won't work, so it's unsupported. Please don't do this or encourage others to

I agree that it shouldn't be done that way, and I don't encourage anyone to do it that way, and I understand why you don't support it.
But I could bet that everything will work without problems when the msi/exe installer is available. Because I have not yet come across an application that did not work, if it had a normal installer or was portable.
Ok, let's see if the msi/exe will be available before the discount on the whole package expires.