You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Version 2 is awesome! And that price is amazing

I am surprised to see so many salty comments here on this forum complaining about a gift they got in the form of a brand new version with many great new features. With weird arguments about the incredible price and about features they wanted to have but aren't there yet. There are so many negative comments that I felt the need to write a little counter balance here:

I was very happy to see today the email about the new Affinity upgrade which, when looking at the commercial page about it, has a lot of great new features a lots of people were missing in v1 and asked about and now are there! And besides that I also read about lots of great changes that really make a difference.

Way the go Serif! Great launch of a full complete package clearly a lot of effort have been put into. And having all applications for all platforms together for just 120 euros is a great price!

Would be nice if some people here would show a little bit more respect and understanding about what software development actually means and what things like this cost to create in real life. Maybe then there would be a little bit more understanding in how great this price - value actually is.

From me: thanks Serif for all the hard work! 👍 😀

The extremely promotional video Serif posted, announcing the new V2 suite as a game changer was a complete disappointment. The most basic features*, which I won't enumerate here, but which can be found in the forum, spanning years (!) are still not implemented. Why isn't Affinity a little more humble with its marketing and a little more focused on (professional) users needs ? I don't know and I don't care anymore.

Yes, the price is great. But you get what you pay for.

(*Publisher, which is key for switching to Affinity for me)

@spinkoThere are indeed still a lot of things missing, but what's already there is truly incredible and I prefer focusing on that. What we have today in our hands is a dream come true for me.

(When I started in the mid 90's, just applying a blur effect could take minutes. Now I can't believe my eyes that everything is in realtime).

Once again a big thank you for the great work of the Affinity team. Version 2 of all three programs is very efficient on my old computer (Windows 10) and the new tools were much anticipated. Thank you also for the starter discount. This is a great support for freelancers, as is the universal licence. I won't be limited by the system when choosing my next computer. Also glad to see lots of small improvements and a great new education panel. Great job!

Thank you for your comments! I totally agree!.. been a bit frustrating reading comments that are dominating the Forum at the moment.. So a few things to consider...

1. Version 2.0 is, overall a fantastic new release with so many useful features helping to improve workflow and offering some significant new creative solutions. many of them have been asked (or demanded!) for on this forum for years!.. I am already using it to update brushes and create some new ink drawings. It is smoother faster, more efficient and is reasonably stable!.  I personally find it a complete pleasure to work with.. but I will certainly will have to adopt my workflow to consider the array of new options.

2. When there are new releases in Apps | Software there are issues. this release is no exception. There is no way software can be developed that will work on all devices and installation configurations instantly from the moment it is released so patience would be a good option to consider.

I am completely confident that many of the emphasised issues will be resolved quickly with patch updates and version updates. 

3. The Serif team deserve congratulations and support for the release of version 2.0 I am sure it has been a lot of hard work

4. Yes! There are features that could added.. their is certainly a lot of scope for future development.. which is great!. I will be looking forward to new feature additions.
This is Version 2.0., you can easily predict that there will be 2.1, 2.2 ,2.3 +patches, etc just as there was with version 1.0. 

5. Development is not free.. it costs time, money, organisation and creative thought... something people should accept!. 

There are a lot of new features in this latest offering.. Some of which I have certainly not explored yet. Affinity 2.0 is not a little update ..but just to recap...if people take the time to watch to launch the videos and explore the apps in more detail I think you might find that the features detailed are only the 'tip of the iceberg'

In Designer (which is my favourite!😀) There are loads of new features and improvements... I don't know how many as it would take me a while to list them but!......

Some of the new features in Designer
UI mods | Document re-design and organisation | New layers Panel | Content Linking | Vector Warp | Drawing scales | New Tools: Shape Builder | Knife Tool| Measure & area Tools | Style Picker | New Selection options | Stroke Controllers | Updated Booleans | Node tool Enhancements | New options for placed content | Brush | Improvements | More Import | Export options | Multiple layer Effects

These are some of some of my favourites under the hood!:

Allow Selections to consider items inside a group | Split vector curve at midpoint | save and edit templates directly | reorder brush nozzles | List last used brushes on layers | New Distance Controller | X-ray mode | Isolation mode | Style Picker | Knife tool | Fill Holes | Remove Inner Curves |  Add a vector inside pixel layer | Flood fill reference layer |  Warp tools | Close line with Pencil

and once again..

Big thanks to Serif and the team for all your hard work.. much appreciated!😀

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 1.2344
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

23 minutes ago, StuartRc said:

Thank you for your comments! I totally agree!.. been a bit frustrating reading comments that are dominating the Forum at the moment.. So a few things to consider...

My 'Likes' are done for today on the forum, so can't like your posts, but wanted to let you know; great list and fully agree!

Besides all the great new features and great changes, there are also some seemingly little changes which are pretty worthwile and great IMO.

Haven't worked my way through the new Photo and Publisher yet, only Designer. But I'm pretty impressed at the level of detail of these changes. Even the little details that have been changed in Designer are clearly well thought through and based on requests on this forum. You can tell they heard it all last years and took the chance to put these changes in v2 to address them.

Some of which I'm very happy with, like the toolset which was contantly getting seperated from the interface when double clicking in v1 wich now conveniently stays fixed! And the redesigned export and settings panels that are much more streamlined now. Seemingly small things that really make a positive difference when using the application on a daily basis. Have to explore further but very happy with these changes!

2 minutes ago, MmmMaarten said:

My 'Likes' are done for today on the forum, so can't like your posts, but wanted to let you know; great list and fully agree!

Besides all the great new features and great changes, there are also some seemingly little changes which are pretty worthwile and great IMO.

Haven't worked my way through the new Photo and Publisher yet, only Designer. But I'm pretty impressed at the level of detail of these changes. Even the little details that have been changed in Designer are clearly well thought through and based on requests on this forum. You can tell they heard it all last years and took the chance to put these changes in v2 to address them.

Some of which I'm very happy with, like the toolset which was contantly getting seperated from the interface when double clicking in v1 wich now conveniently stays fixed! And the redesigned export and settings panels that are much more streamlined now. Seemingly small things that really make a positive difference when using the application on a daily basis. Have to explore further but very happy with these changes!

I have some likes left!...thank you!.. some of the under the hood features are hidden away but still opportunity to explore!. I just felt I had to respond to your thread.. i have thinking this all day!😀

and yes exactly!😀

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 1.2344
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

1 hour ago, pgraficzny said:

Once again a big thank you for the great work of the Affinity team. Version 2 of all three programs is very efficient on my old computer (Windows 10) and the new tools were much anticipated. Thank you also for the starter discount. This is a great support for freelancers, as is the universal licence. I won't be limited by the system when choosing my next computer. Also glad to see lots of small improvements and a great new education panel. Great job!

like 💜

1 hour ago, FRworld said:

@spinkoThere are indeed still a lot of things missing, but what's already there is truly incredible and I prefer focusing on that. What we have today in our hands is a dream come true for me.

(When I started in the mid 90's, just applying a blur effect could take minutes. Now I can't believe my eyes that everything is in realtime).

like 💜

I'm hoping with a refresh they get off the ground running and really start nailing out the roadmap. Other than that, it's perfectly viable for what I do currently. Unfortunately, I know what you mean about running out of 'likes' lol... they seem to refresh across the day to keep you invested. It's like an MMO.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

1 hour ago, MmmMaarten said:

Love these warps! That Twist Deformer is pretty sweet too 😘 
Let's do the twist! 🎉👯‍♂️ 😀

Is there a way to live warp images? I tried different groupings though only seem to get it working on vectors. Maybe that is publisher only? Trying to do some mock ups similar to the v2 feature sting on the website.