You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo V2 Workbook?

I really liked the old workbook and hope there will be updated versions for V2!

And while I understand the reasoning behind the print-only approach, I would highly appreciate a digital version. I’m working away from home and taking the printed books with me was never really an option. 

So, pretty please give as updated workbook eBooks!

i do agree a workbook would be nice..... i have the original affiinity photo workbook..... i used it and still refer to it till this very day ...... i was going to upgrade to designer and publisher and wanted to read up on both of these and the workbook was unavailable...... was a bit disappointed..... but held off on the purchase ..... kind of glad i did ..... i really do hope affinity does consider bring out the workbooks for this version i as well..... i would buy all 3 in a heartbeat just to update my workbooks 

• 3 weeks later...

This is beyond disappointing. I own the v1 series and will be purchasing the universal license for v2. The biggest barrier to adoption and use is the lack of educational materials on the product suite. The video tutorials aren't the same as a full, end-to-end project-based tutorial.

Affinity, if you don't want to undertake the work to create new workbooks and don't want to sell the older version, that's understandable. How about at least helping us out and releasing the PDF/e-book versions of the workbooks as a free download then?

Help us reach a level of mastery with your products so that we can evangelize to others to purchase your software beyond just "it's not Adobe"? 

They are not going to make a pdf version of this..... why.... ? because anyone can duplicate it.... at 1 point I used to enjoy this...... today they are trying to sell you something but rather the give you the real source materials..... oh look ..... over there.....  we saved you time and effort because we made videos..... yahhhhhh...... videos and books on a product make a huge difference..... you can always delete a video and thats lost forever..... when you have a physical book.... its as good as reading the law with step by step instructions l.... you can make book marks ... highlight important things..... reference back to key important things thats matter...... wtf can i do on a video..... none of the above.... if these idiots cant comprehend that much then your wasting our time .... time to look for the next big thing it seems 

There are Quick Start guides for all the V2 products at https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/learn/

There are also copies of the help file pdf and keyboard layouts, for each product and links to the training videos.  I know these won't satisfy the needs of everybody but these materials should be helpful to most people.

Peace

Marvin

Dear Colleagues, I too agree that it would be extremely useful to have an unpdated paper copy of "Affinity Photo Workbook": but apparently this request will not be satisfied, at least in the short term. I suggest the interested readers to turn to the Robin Whalley's book (updated to version 2.0) "ESSENIAL AFFINITY PHOTO BOOK. Image editing techniques using Affinity Photo for desktop - Cutting through the confusion" that will be out in a few weeks, describing in details some of the recent improvements of the software. Having purchased other books by this Author - written in extremely clear and terse style and accompanied by educational materials - I expect the new volume on Affinity Photo 2 to be of an excellent standard. For those interested, please refer to the website lenscraft.co.uk under "Tutorials". My best to all.

Ezio Romano

• 1 month later...

Does anybody here know whether the Affinity Workbooks are still good to learn from with Affinity V2 suite?  I bought the three workbooks together with the V1 suite during the early days of the pandemic, and am still working my way through them off and on...  I'm interested in the new V2 suite, but am afraid the old books might become redundant with the new software as I read that the interface has changed in the new suite.  Any advice?  should I master the old software first with the workbooks, and then buy the V2 suite afterwards?  Thanks.

Welcome to the forums @idlewild

As far as I know, none of the functionality of the V1 applications was removed from the V2 applications so pretty much all of the things you learn in V1 are still applicable in V2.

Some functionality has changed a bit (or been augmented), some things have been moved around (e.g. different menu structure, some different dialogs, etc.), some things look different (icon changes, etc.) and there are lots of new functions, but the transition from V1 to V2 will be pretty smooth for most people.

The workbooks were last printed quite a while before the V1 applications were last updated so there are things in the latest V1 applications that will not be in the workbooks. If you can cope with the changes made in that period then you should be able to cope with the changes in V2.

Since the V1 applications can be installed alongside the V2 applications you can try things in V1 and then, once you get the hang of them, you should be able to transfer your experience/knowledge over to V2 without much trouble.

If you can justify the cost of getting V2 then I don’t think you will be disappointed with the upgrade, especially while it is still on sale (a very generous 40% off).

If you do end up having some problems with the transition from V1 to V2 then you can always ask in the forums for help.

15 hours ago, idlewild said:

Does anybody here know whether the Affinity Workbooks are still good to learn from with Affinity V2 suite?

Workbooks, as their name implies, are not just manuals for controlling the program, but rather instructions on how and with which tools to do certain things. These procedures and their knowledge are thus completely universal, and are therefore not tied to a specific application and its specific version.
If you are considering buying the V2, I would take advantage of the current offer of a significant introductory discount.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

On 12/1/2022 at 12:00 PM, Wiz said:

This is beyond disappointing. I own the v1 series and will be purchasing the universal license for v2. The biggest barrier to adoption and use is the lack of educational materials on the product suite. The video tutorials aren't the same as a full, end-to-end project-based tutorial.

May I ask what kind of projects are you particularly interested in?

Best regards!

Hi all,

I am wanting to start out on the photo editing experience, Photoshop is a crazy price for someone like me.

I was going to take advantage of the discount for Affinity V2 but I’m struggling to find a manual or workbook for V2, would the V1 workbook be of help or is it outdated ?

Any recommendations for any book that would help me with the basics and progress would be appreciated, I don’t want to pay out a chunk of money for the wrong book.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums @SteveT56

The workbooks are, to put it simply, a collection of exercises that the reader is taken through to do certain things.
They are not manuals which take you through every aspect of the software, so even if you go through the workbooks there will still be a lot of things you don’t know about the software.

(The stuff in the workbooks is probably mostly valid for V2 but some things might be done, or look, slightly differently.)

There are thousands of free tutorials on the web.

For video tutorials, your best starting point is the official Serif ones here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/170269-official-affinity-photo-v2-tutorials/

Or, if you prefer to read rather than watching a video, there’s a good resource here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/106686-written-tutorials-to-download/

My recommendation would to try the free stuff first and see how you get on.
You can always ask questions about the tutorials in the forums if you get stuck or need more details.

Hi @SteveT56

The workbooks are no longer available in the Serif Store, plus their content is out of date.
There are some tutorial videos here:

And if you are facing seemingly unsolvable problems with Affinity Photo there are many competent users here in the forum who can help.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

• Staff

@SteveT56

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

9 minutes ago, SteveT56 said:

would the V1 workbook be of help or is it outdated ?

It would help. Serif do not have any however

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 1/12/2023 at 10:49 PM, PaoloT said:

I've seen the old workbooks on sale for something less than 200 euros. Now I know how Serif can afford to keep the software price so low!

In all fairness to Serif, they are not the ones selling the books at these prices, and they won't be making any profits from inflated prices on the sale of second hand copies, such as you may find on sites like Amazon or Etsy!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

• 3 weeks later...