You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Ruler not showing when "Show Text Ruler" and "Frame text ruler" is checked

colleenb

Hi, I am using Affinity Publisher V2 on mac and the text ruler won't show, even when "Show Text Ruler" and "Frame text ruler" is checked. I selected the text box and the text — nothing. I tried toggling the guides and preview mode on and off, and I even tried restarting the app — but still, nothing. 

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Thanks,

Colleen

Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 1.22.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 1.19.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 1.19.41 PM.png

Edited by colleenb

Hi Colleen and welcome to the forum.

The missing text ruler and the missing table formatting controls are the same issue and others have reported it, too. There is a workaround: Go to Preferences > User Interface and change the Font UI Size from default to large and then switch it back or vice versa.

This has worked for everybody with the problem so far but some have reported that they have to repeat this each time they start the program. I don't have to repeat it each time myself. Serif is aware of the issue and is investigating.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

18 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

Hi Colleen and welcome to the forum.

The missing text ruler and the missing table formatting controls are the same issue and others have reported it, too. There is a workaround: Go to Preferences > User Interface and change the Font UI Size from default to large and then switch it back or vice versa.

This has worked for everybody with the problem so far but some have reported that they have to repeat this each time they start the program. I don't have to repeat it each time myself. Serif is aware of the issue and is investigating.

Cheers

It works! Thank you so much!

Edited by colleenb

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2022 at 7:24 PM, MikeTO said:

Indeed works, nasty crappy bug, I hope there is no need to do this on a daily basis...

Mac mini M1 / macOS Ventura / 8 GB ram / Wacom Intus pen & touch / Affinity suite v1 & v2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, bhanquier said:

I've tried MikeTO's solution to no avail, still no text ruler.

Pretty annoying…

Hi and welcome to the forum. The bug with the disappearing text ruler was fixed in 2.0.3 - did you install that update?

Note that the text ruler (View > Show Text Ruler) only appears for text frames, not artistic text, and only appears when the text cursor is in a frame.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

• 2 months later...

Hello, i'm using 2.0.4, just upgraded, and I tried every trick I read here but I still  don't see any text ruler.

I use publisher almost... never (I'm mostly a Designer user) so it's not a big problem for me, but I want to share my experience. Hope you fix it. 

The workaround works for me.

On 1/20/2023 at 6:31 PM, MikeTO said:

Hi and welcome to the forum. The bug with the disappearing text ruler was fixed in 2.0.3 - did you install that update?

It still happens for me in v 2.0.4 from time to time.

Mac mini M1 / macOS Ventura / 8 GB ram / Wacom Intus pen & touch / Affinity suite v1 & v2

1 hour ago, enricofra said:

Yes, I'm up to date, using 2.0.4. 

Ensure you are using text frames and not artistic text, it will only show for text frames.

If you are using text frames and it's not showing for you, try starting Publisher with Ctrl held down and then clear your defaults.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

@MikeTO I am still having this issue on 2.0.4.

This file was created in V1 and upgraded to V2. Now only new text frames created in V2 have a ruler. Old frames from V1 do not despite the steps suggested above.

For V1 text the ruler will briefly show up the first time the frame is clicked and then disappear, subsequent clicks on the frame reveal no ruler at all. Content can be copied out to a new frame and the ruler works fine.

Update:

My mistake, I used Artistic text in V1. I will say its funny how the ruler flashes for a moment.

Edited by GlennD
Update, operator error.