You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resize marquee selection after drawing

Please allow me to resize a marquee selection after drawing it. Primarily for the Rectangular and Elliptical marquee tools. Adjustments should work just like the crop or rectangular tool selections where you place the selection and then can resize the corners and sides.

The workflow for marquee selection isn't great. For example, when creating a rectangular marquee and I'm off by a few pixels, I need to change the marquee selection, either in the corner or the whole side. Adding another marquee and merging (Adding) them usually does not work, because I cannot draw the exact same size marquee again, especially if I'm zoomed in and need to hit a certain pixel with the side of the marquee. Using the Transform panel is a workaround, it's not a great workflow.

Thanks!

54 minutes ago, Theseus said:

Please allow me to resize a marquee selection after drawing it.

Hi @Theseus, try the following:

after you drew your marquee selection hit V (to switch the move tool). Now you can adjust the selection to the correct size.

Hit V again.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Just now, Theseus said:

Hi, using the move tool after a marquee transforms the marqueed area, it does not change the marquee size.

But I use that workflow a lot for stretching images or areas, and it's great for that.

You could use temporarily an empty pixel layer on top of everything. Once the size is correct you switch back to the layer you want to work on.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

2 hours ago, Theseus said:

But I'd still like the marquee resize feature 😉

I'm not opposing to this request. I just didn't have the need for that and my workaround (for me) is good enough).

d.

Hi @Theseus,

in addition I want to present you my preferred workflow and why I often use vector objects instead of a marquee selection.

1. Create a (vector) rectangle around the area you want to select. After creation you can immediately adjust it very precisely to its desired size.
    Note: make sure its boundaries align to the images pixelgrid > check 'Force pixel alignment' on the toolbar.
  2. Make a copy of the image layer you want to create the selection from > CTRL J
  3. Now in the layers panel drag the pixel layer into the rectangle. This creates a clipped copy of the image area you want to transform.
  4. You now can drag the rectangles handles just like the ones of a pixel selection to transform.

The advantage is you still can afterwards change the selected (=clipped) area of the pixel layer. To do so use the Move tool and click 'Lock Children' on the toolbar.

This whole workflow is completely nondistructive and as far as I know a copy of a pixel layer does not add much to a file's size.

Cheers,
d.