You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Installing Affinity Photo 2 in windows 11 from the Serif .msix file

1 hour ago, RuedigerP said:

is there any update?... ...but for 4 weeks there is no update on this...

AFAIK the latest news, that they are likely to release the MSI installers with the first patch, was given on 23 Nov. which is less than 3 weeks ago:

36 minutes ago, jimh12345 said:

The "app" installation completely messed this  up, in a couple of ways.  I disabled the ransomware protection, but I really want to turn it back on,

Sounds like something it would be worthwhile to complain to Microsoft about, too.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I was also surprised at the way I had no choice where to install the apps. I have little enough space left on my SSD without adding the entire Affinity suite. I did find the instructions on how to move the apps to another drive, which worked. However, I can't now find where they are on the HDD, which means I can only run them from the start menu. I can't find a way to add desktop shortcuts.

Grahame

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core 3.6GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD, GeForce RTX-3060ti GPU, 64-Bit Windows 11
Affinity Publisher/ Designer/ Photo 1.10.6.1665 and 2.4.2

"I don't do fruit-based technology."

25 minutes ago, weegiegrum said:

I can't find a way to add desktop shortcuts

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/167826-how-do-i-create-a-desktop-shortcut-for-affinity-v2-apps/

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Sounds like something it would be worthwhile to complain to Microsoft about, too.

Well that's true, although I know of no channel for doing so that isn't basically a waste of time. 

Let me turn this around and say that Microsoft does, sometimes, pay attention to feedback from companies like Serif, via their "developer support" group.  

My fear though is that if Microsoft finds out that ransomware protection conflicts with their new 'strategic direction' for installations, they'll just remove the ransomware protection from a future release. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to fill in that I purchased the Photo, Designer, Publisher bundle today and I also got the "could not install" error using the .msix files. The only procedure that worked for me was to install via Microsoft Store. Which is less preferable for me as I want a static link to the app since I'm setting up buttons for the apps in Directory Opus and once the programs update, the links gets broken since the program reside in versioned folders. (I'm on Win 11 22H2).

24 minutes ago, HCE said:

Just wanted to fill in that I purchased the Photo, Designer, Publisher bundle today and I also got the "could not install" error using the .msix files. The only procedure that worked for me was to install via Microsoft Store. Which is less preferable for me as I want a static link to the app since I'm setting up buttons for the apps in Directory Opus and once the programs update, the links gets broken since the program reside in versioned folders. (I'm on Win 11 22H2).

That will also happen with the MSIX versions from Serif, when properly installed. If you need a stable reference you need to use the App Execution Alias for each application, assuming that Directory Opus supports that Windows function.

Or you need to wait for the MSI- or EXE-based installers, which won't be available for public testing until sometime after Serif reopens for business in January.

If you want to try the MSIX install, the FAQ may help, but you'd need to uninstall the Microsoft Store version first.

-- Walt
PC:

• 3 weeks later...

Just read all of the above from Nov 2022.  Its now Jan 2023.  I have Windows 11 and just purchased Photo 2.  I have it loaded and running on my computer but I cannot set it up as an external editor in Lightroom.  Is this due to the app installer issue?  Its driving me crazy.  

• 4 months later...

These msix are a real calamity! Why do you put forward installers that restrict possibilities and prevent customization? It's really regrettable, and if this persists, I'll regretfully quit the Affinty software I've been using since its launch. Sad and angry! -removed-

Edited by Lee_T
Please keep your comments civil.

3 PCs - 1 Mac Book - Affinity Photo + Designer + Beta Publisher | Xtendo

These msix are a real calamity! Why do you put forward installers that restrict possibilities and prevent customization? It's really regrettable, and if this persists, I'll regretfully quit the Affinty software I've been using since its launch. Sad and angry!

Franchement, je n'ai jamais vu quelque chose d'aussi restrictif, vous nous prenez pour des enfants, vos esclaves, nous payons nous voulons être libres, vos msix sont unbe 

• Staff
2 minutes ago, Xtendo said:

These msix are a real calamity! Why do you put forward installers that restrict possibilities and prevent customization? It's really regrettable, and if this persists, I'll regretfully quit the Affinty software I've been using since its launch. Sad and angry!

Please feel free to use the MSI/EXE version of the software.

Lee

I've never seen such a rollback in the user rights of commercial software, it goes against our workflows and our ability to customize our systems and applications. For me, this is the red line. If .EXEs disappear, I'll leave Affinity, which I've been following since the beginning. LAMENTABLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Je n'ai jamais vu un tel recul dans les droits d'utilisateurs d'un logiciel commercial, cela va à l'encontre de nos flux de travail et de notre capacité à personnaliser nos systèmes et applications. Pour moi c'est la ligne rouge, si les .EXE disparaisse, je quitte Affinity que je suis depuis le début, je suis dans une telle colère, quelle perte de temps ! LAMENTABLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 minutes ago, Lee_T said:

Please feel free to use the MSI/EXE version of the software.

Lee

No, it's been put on the back burner, offering you this disastrous MSIX solution in the first place, I've lost precious time, this total loss of freedom, it's dictatorial! And don't tell me it's for my own good! I'm not a child, and I'm not your thing! I'll say it again, this is the red line for me: if .EXEs disappear, I'm leaving Affinity. I'd like to point out that I've been a loyal and loving professional customer of yours since the beginning of the suite, but this is a NO!

On 11/11/2022 at 6:07 PM, thegary said:

THIS is the WORST DECISION from SERIF.

They claim you have the best software. BUT INSTALL HERE NO OTHER CHOICE.

NO HAPPY WITH THEM.

Bring back the OLD INSTALLER. My IT DEPT are wiping SERIF software from the network. YOU NEED A CHOICE. IT dept wont put up with this.

Gary

Bien dit 👍

Hey @Xtendo , t'as un sérieux problème, t'as le choix d'installer ce que tu veux. Alors pourquoi tu perds ton temps à te lamenter ici au lieu de le faire?

Je suis convaincu que ton problème n'est pas le logiciel.... c'est pas mal plus sérieux que ça. 

Hey @Xtendo, you really have a serious problem, you have the choix to install what you want, So, why are you wasting your time whining here instead of doing so.

I am deeply convinced that your problem is not a software one ... it's much more serious than that.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"