You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Installing Affinity Photo 2 in windows 11 from the Serif .msix file

28 minutes ago, noonlight said:

I never liked apps without a proper installer. Not transparent, no choices. Only problems.

THIS is the WORST DECISION from SERIF.

They claim you have the best software. BUT INSTALL HERE NO OTHER CHOICE.

NO HAPPY WITH THEM.

Bring back the OLD INSTALLER. My IT DEPT are wiping SERIF software from the network. YOU NEED A CHOICE. IT dept wont put up with this.

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

I completely agree. Bad decision.
I have no problem with using system integrated apps outside my worklife. But this is something different. In a professional environment you'll want to have complete control over your tools.
I am surprised that Serif does not seem to understand this.
Also I am surprised that I can only accept cookies here and not select which ones, which is most certainly against regulations.
I liked serif so far and their apps but this is going wrong.

• Staff

Hi,

Please attempt the following troubleshooting steps if you are experiencing issues installing an MSIX.  Please ensure you are running Windows 11 or Windows 10 May 2020 Update (2004, 20H1, build 19041) or later and have installed the Microsoft App installer available here: https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/app-installer/9NBLGGH4NNS1 

Lee

58 minutes ago, LeeThorpe said:

Hi,

Please attempt the following troubleshooting steps if you are experiencing issues installing an MSIX.  Please ensure you are running Windows 11 or Windows 10 May 2020 Update (2004, 20H1, build 19041) or later and have installed the Microsoft App installer available here: https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/app-installer/9NBLGGH4NNS1 

Lee

Thanks, Lee. But i wonder why there's not a proper .exe, or at least a proper "how to"...

Strange move.

2 hours ago, LeeThorpe said:

Hi,

Lee

Lee, 

the whole point of using Windows is not to have to put more effort into installing a program than will be needed to actually use the thing.

If we wanted to tool around with fixes, workarounds, additional downloads, troubleshooting and such nonsense, we'd be Linux users.

For myself I'm 100% compliant with the system requirements; I've tried every published workaround (and more besides); and I still can't get past the splash screen. 

There are umpteen posts on the forum decrying Serif's decision to fix something that wasn't broken by using MSIX - it's time that Serif took the hint and went back to an installation approach that just works.

Keith Reeder

I am running Windows 11 22H2 and got the "The app didn't start" message. I got the Application Installer (.msix handler) from the Microsoft Store and discovered that I couldn't verify it was installed in any substantial way. But I tried it and got the same error message. Then I tried installing Affinity Designer v2 with the Powershell method which paused for a bit but then just returned me to the Powershell prompt without any message. I still got "The app didn't start." It's pretty safe to say that it simply won't install on my Windows 11 22H2 installation. (Probably Microsoft's fault, like so many things, but we have to find workarounds.)

Ik gebruik windows 11 22H2, na de installatie van Foto V2 vraagt hij om de code, na de gegevens ingevuld   te hebben, zegt het dat dit niet klopt en blijft het vragen.

Met Foto 1 normale installatie geen probleem gehad.

Dus Serif geef mijn geld terug of maak een windows installatie mogelijk.

• Staff

Hi @wim

Bitte öffnen Sie die V2 Affinity-App, in der die universelle Lizenz erworben wurde , und navigieren Sie dann zum Abschnitt „Mein Konto“.
Hier sehen Sie eine Option zum „Registrieren“ des Kaufs für eine Affinity-ID – wo Sie ein vorhandenes Affinity-Konto verwenden können, falls Sie bereits eines haben, oder eine neue ID erstellen.
Sobald Sie den Kauf mit Ihrer Affinity-ID registriert haben, melden Sie sich einfach mit dieser ID bei den anderen Affinity-Apps an und die Lizenz wird aktiviert.

Lee

This is the most ridiculous issue that should never happen! The Photo V2 msix installation package will not install using the app installer from Microsoft. I'm using the latest Win 11 version so that should not be the issue. I can install V2 using Powershell command lines but it installs under the user's app data folders and not in the Program File directory as does V1. We should have the freedom to determine where the programs we purchase are installed. The powershell command line to install V2 is

add-apppackage -path "<your full path to this file>\affinity-photo-2.0.0.msix" of course without the <>.

Hello,

I purchased Photo V2 today and I was completely shocked by the App installer. This is a no-go for me, since I have all applications on a dedicated SSD drive in their individual paths. If there is no way to install it analog V1 there is only 1 option for me: refund. As App installer it is useless for me.

I have mailed to contact and wait for reply.

Ruediger

1 hour ago, RuedigerP said:

Hello,

I purchased Photo V2 today and I was completely shocked by the App installer. This is a no-go for me, since I have all applications on a dedicated SSD drive in their individual paths. If there is no way to install it analog V1 there is only 1 option for me: refund. As App installer it is useless for me.

I have mailed to contact and wait for reply.

Ruediger

Take a look at the FAQ, you can move the installed apps to another drive:

14 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Take a look at the FAQ, you can move the installed apps to another drive:

Hello Mark,

many thanks for the reply and link to the FAQ.

After reading it I have to admit this is no solution. The MSIX restrictions are too severe. If it is not possible to provide a normal setup refund and looking for alternatives is the only way for me.

Ruediger

On 11/11/2022 at 11:39 AM, LeeThorpe said:

Hi,

Lee

@Mark Ingram MOVING the file doesn't fix the directory. It created the biggest mess of LOCKED folders on the other drive. I have a directory structure. Its strict and works for my entire suite of all programs. YOURS BREAKS that as i cannot put in the the directory its supposed to go in.

WE nee the ability to put the program where we want and in the name we want.  

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

43 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Hi all. Thanks for your patience over the weekend when our offices were closed.

We've had a meeting this morning and decided to ALSO offer MSI installers, to those people who would like them. I can't tell you when this will happen, as there is engineering work that will be required to allow this to happen, but we hope it won't be long.

Thanks for your feedback!

Great news, thanks ! But this is only half the way : now, get rid of this msix bul***, lol.

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

We've had a meeting this morning and decided to ALSO offer MSI installers, to those people who would like them. I can't tell you when this will happen, as there is engineering work that will be required to allow this to happen, but we hope it won't be long.

Hello Mark,

this is an awesome news! 🤩
I am very happy to hear that this decision was reevaluated and a solution was found. I am glad that I can continue to use Affinity products.
Please let us know, as soon as an installer is available.

Ruediger

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 4:31 PM, Mark Ingram said:

Hello Mark,

is there any update? I have agreed with the support to put the V2 refund in pending state, since a MSI installer was announced, but for 4 weeks there is no update on this.

Thank you in advance!

Rüdiger

I'm not posting in an attempt to increase the pressure here - I'm a former developer and I know these things take as long as they take.  I just want to add to the "use case" justifications for a standard installer.

I'd been using Windows' built-in ransomware protection.  In case you don't know about this, I'd say it's actually pretty good.  But it wants to know the paths to, and names of, the executables that you've authorized to touch your files in protected folders.   The "app" installation completely messed this  up, in a couple of ways.  I disabled the ransomware protection, but I really want to turn it back on, so I want the .MSI installer.   I've read about photographers getting hit by ransomware and you really do not want to go there.