You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crashes caused by Affinity Store Brushes

Hi!

I'm here to share this feedback coming from one of my customers using AP on Windows.

Cannot find a way to replicate it on my side...

I downloaded Daub brushes via my account with Affinity and the Daub Bristle set cause the Vers 2 to bomb out as I access the menu option for Bristle brushes and I cannot even accessing a brush in that specific pack. I could not delete it as software bombs as I access the menu option for Bristle brushes.

These the Specs

Windows 10 platform, i7 processor (Gen 6), 32 Gb ram and 950Gb SDD. With that I have 2 graphic cards both Nvidia GTX1650 with one driving two 24 inch Dell screens and the other driving my Huion Pro 24 tablet. There are also 2x2Tb HDD drives.

Cheers,

Paolo

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

I'm not having any immediate problems with those brushes, either, Paolo.

It might be nice to know if the customer got any crash reports, but you may not want to be in the middle of a long discussion trying to diagnose things :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...

It happens to me, too (accessing the bristle category, it crashes suddenly). Specs: the ones in my signature (the desktop).

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been able to FULLY avoid the crash, now. I am using the latest v2 beta (1670).  Dunno if it was already known, but I dug for it recently and found nothing on the forums (besides the several threads complaining)... So, dunno if someone discovered this earlier, I just found out the trick now (random idea, while thinking about the error output being about the brush previews...), but I am not  up to date of all conversations here...

BTW, I did a full reset (pressing ctrl while doing double or triple click on the Photo v2 beta icon I did put on the desktop) of everything, but that itself did not work, nothing (even playing with nvidia's per-app config) until applied the below trick. But might not work without the clean-up first (try first without no clean-up, obviously! But just in case is a needed step, dunno) 

It's rather simple. BEFORE clicking on the DAUB Bristles category, just make the brushes not show "as list" (un-check that). If u can stand (I can, definitely) to look at them in their thumbnail view instead of the brush long stroke in the list, then it won't crash anymore! I believe this is an issue with the internal process of generating that kind of thumbnail, the preview (maybe being bigger textures, or a very modern/complex brush system, dunno).

The brushes panel can be un-docked (more practical for most artists, like with the color panel) as that does not affect anything.

BTW, AMAZED to check how fluid your (Paolo) brushes work now in Affinity Photo V2. Smooth as butter!  I don't know... Really, a 3060 makes that much difference versus a 1650 , in an app? I don't think so. It's the improvements that have happened in V2, so, congrats to the entire Affinity team. I am having these brushes as fluid as the basic round brush, which was the only one I got to be snappy at huge brush (and canvas) sizes, before... But also, in the standard artistic brushes in v1 latest update, while those always were snappy, some of them could show slight lag at big sizes... not noticing lag either now on those in v1 latest... so... the 3060 does magic, or both versions have been improved in the brush engine. Or both things, surely.

What I don't know is if I have all the brushes installed, as I believe I bought like everything that you got, and maybe some I have to install them another way...

And I was already suuper happy (indeed, had decided not to use third party content, 'cause of the issues!) with the default artistic brushes in v2, by the way. So, great times.  :)

Also, this has been tested with a 5.000 x 5.000 px canvas, 16 bits mode, Adobe RGB 1998 color profile. 100% fluid (with my signature's desktop specs).

Screenshots to make it super easy for anyone to find the option. Apologies as menus are in Spanish, but I guess in your language it will be in the same place (order) in the menus:

bristle-1.png.e5f75380dfcaec29762a8d5ee1a4524d.png

image.png.a8ad439d15231040bcb47c3cebbc8ce0.png

Cheers,

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

22 minutes ago, SrPx said:

And I was already suuper happy (indeed, had decided not to use third party content, 'cause of the issues!) with the default artistic brushes in v2, by the way. So, great times.  :)

Happy to know that... Before passing to the AffinityStore all brushes are checked with configurations other than the one has been used to design them (2018 MBP with far lower specs than your workstations). So if something lags or skips goes back to me until the QA level is spot on. Obviously this approach cannot cover any situation...

Also between different updates performance issues could happen.

I didn't yet check this beta update on Windows, but I can confirm that V2 is finally closer to macOS speed and responsiveness.

PS. I designed default brushes too... 😜 

It's all working amazingly well and fluid (both yours and standard ones :) (including your standard ones, too ;) ) )
I just realized I have many more brushes from you (the pigment ones, etc (I love oils over everything)), as I believe I got your biggest global bundle. I have been using them all on CSP, I think. I have too many brushes from everywhere and several apps, is not strange that I get lost... The funny thing is that very often I do most of my work with a basic heavily customized round brush, but I absolutely love to have the traditional touch for certain type of work and a number of projects (number which is increasing).

Also, I had a very crappy card before, a 1650 with 4gb (not even TI or Super), while now having a 3060 with 12gb. And there have been some years since being around here (since more or less the beginning, I think) when I was yet using at home an intel i7 first generation (2009) with 8gb (like now, on Windows, doing print works...imagine), using first a gtx 275 till it physically melted, later a 1050 2gb. So, that a lot of my past experience is laggy painting is my own fault (mostly).

• 1 month later...

I confirm also this bug Clicking on the Daub W&W Bristles causes Affinity Designer V2 to Crash instantly!  

@SrPx What do you mean by third party content ( that causes the issue )... 

Well, basically unchecking --> Show As list  prevents the problem so far, but I hope this would be fixed later and we can show the bristles category as a list -->  I know some bugs here and there are not that bad ( but the problem is that I spent like 1 Hour trying to figure out what is going on and I felt like there is something wrong with my PC at first )... 

And @paolo.limoncelli I really like and use your brushes often thank you dude... 

Edited by Mustazy

Hello, I can also confirm the same issue on my PC as well when selecting the Daub W&W Bristles.  No error messages - just crash to desktop.

My system is Windows 11 Pro 22H2 (fully up-to-date, no insider builds or anything), AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB RAM, RTX2080 Super.  Using Affinity Photo 2.0.3.

As mentioned above, unchecking 'Show as List' is working for me as well as a work around.

I've been able to replicate this too (finally) on Windows, briefly also with default Watercolours set.

It is something dealing with the internal preview, DAUB W&W set includes hires textures and nozzles.

I also noticed that editing of Jitters' ramp is slow and "sticky".

Probably List preview struggles in rendering the stroke of these brushes.

Yep, I believe is the stroke preview (that's why the show as list disabled works). I can't remember now, but I don't know if it was in the Windows Events viewer, the actual dump file (with a debugger) or the logs, where it indeed specified the brush preview as a problem (made me think of disabling that, indeed).

Logged already for several other topics: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&tags=AFP-5671

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 hours ago, paolo.limoncelli said:

Now I'm very curious to know why this happens with my set only...  🤔

From your description, they are very complex brushes :) 

-- Walt
PC:

20 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

From your description, they are very complex brushes :) 

W&W Bristles have hi-res sources, but in terms of "complexity" there are far more complex stuff in default Oils for example.

Grunge Oil 01 is probably one of the most complex available in AP "out of the box".

Well, you could always chat with the Developers when they have resolved the issue, and they'll tell you what it was :) 

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 month later...