You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting Books als single pages will include bleed only for the first page

I created a book with 4 chapters in seperate files. If I export the book als spreads, all pages will show the bleed as intended. But if I export the book als "all chapters as pages", the bleed will be ok only for the first page.

book_export_missing_bleed.pdfbook_export_missing_bleed.pdf

book_export_ spread.pdf

Edited by Gerhard Trimpin

I've duplicated this bug but it's more complicated than just spreads vs. pages. I don't fully understand it but I think we can agree that Book + Bleed doesn't work at this time.

I've attached two test books - both have 3 chapter files but in one of them each chapter is a single page while in the other each chapter has 3 pages. I made the bleeds very obvious - each page has a rectangle the size of the page with a black stroke, no fill, and a solid coloured rectangle behind it with a bleed.

The 3-page chapters export correctly as spreads but incorrectly as pages. For the 1-page chapters it's the opposite. I think the issue is related to the Stray Pages feature but I didn't test all four combinations of Stray Pages with each of these setups - instead I had Merge checked and Pad unchecked, the default settings.

549880085_Screenshot2022-11-11at1_57_11PM.png.59d810e5663b06dbc67422ef9f7e83df.png

1-page chapters.zip3-page chapters.zip

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Thanks, that makes it a bit clearer: my first file contains 5 pages (starting with a right side); all other chapters in my project start with a left page. Since in your try all files started with a right page, you have bleed on each starting page.

But we agree: books and bleed on single pages export will noch work at this time. I don't know about "Stray Pages feature" - hope that will narrow the problem in the end.

I did some more testing.

I made 4 files with 4 pages each, starting on a right page.

Export as singel page document - Stray Pages feature setting makes no difference:
Only singel pages (page 1 and 4 of each file) will show bleed, spead pages (2 and 3) will noch contain bleed.

Export as spread document - Stray Pages feature is set to combine when possible:
Only the first pabe and the spread of each file will contain bleed, the combined pages 4 and 1 of the next file will noch show any bleed. The last singel page ob document 4 will show bleed again.

Export as spread document - Stray Pages feature is disabled:
First an last page ob each file will stay as single pages in the book und all pages will contain bleed.

---

Result is: bleed in book project will not work correctly. It will only work, if the pages will not be combined. But page 4 and 5 need to be combined on a spead, wenn a book is build from different files.
Since most printers need to get the PDFs as single page document, I can not use the new book function.

I hope, this will be fixed in one of the next versions of Affinity Publisher 2.

Greating!!

Anschnitttest.zip

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...