You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lost the toolbar widget that displays the Zoom level of the doc in Publisher

• Staff

Hi Al-Vista,
Welcome to the forums :)

I'm not sure if I have understood your question correctly however if you are referring to the Navigator tab it should be found towards the bottom right of the app.

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

37 minutes ago, Al-Vista said:

I used to have it as one of the items in the toolbar at the top of the screen

If you mean the "Status" indicator which shows it next to the name of the document, it is still there and is present by default - at least it is on mine.

If your display/window is too narrow it might be hidden due to lack of space; if you can't make the window wider you might need to customize the toolbar to remove some items that are taking priority over the status display.

If the status display is actually not present on your toolbar, you can again customize it to add that back in, or drag in the default set to reset the toolbar to the defaults.

To customize the toolbar, right-click on it and choose "Customize Toolbar", or select "Customize Toolbar" (NOT the similarly-named "Customize Tools") from the View menu.

Ensure View > Show Toolbar is selected in the menus. I keep that off on my MacBook screen to save space so I don't see the view percentage. Likewise, I keep the Navigator panel closed due to lack of space.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Thanks to all, the problem is sort-of solved. I do mean the 'Status' box in the toolbar at the top, which contains the file name. The reason I struggle is that the box is of limited size, and by the time it says "Affinity Publisher [Trial] - rather long document name ver. 2.2 (115.3%)" - then it has overflowed the box and half the document name and all the zoom percentage has disappeared. If I hover the mouse over it, the whole text is visible, but that's another action, and one that doesn't synchronise well with, for example, shrinking the zoom with the scroll wheel. 

What we need is an elastic box that will expand to include the whole message. On my screen at least there is ample room for that. Or, the "Affinity Publisher [Trial] -" bit could be left out.

2 hours ago, MikeTO said:

Are you on Windows? Perhaps this is a Windows issue. On macOS, the Status control shows "Affinity Publisher 2" when no document is open and "<doc name> (zoom level)" when a document is open.

1255847887_Screenshot2022-11-12at8_30_27AM.thumb.png.85672aedffac8daa76d83fabc7895268.png

I'm on a Mac (Catalina), and my top of the screen looks like this:

image.thumb.png.bdf196ae4fbbc339e1b17aa0df5718fe.pngIn the picture I'm hovering the mouse over the Status window but the window itself is too small for the whole text. Maybe this is because I'm still on the trial version and AfPub only announces itself before I pay the sub?

35 minutes ago, Al-Vista said:

In the picture I'm hovering the mouse over the Status window but the window itself is too small for the whole text. Maybe this is because I'm still on the trial version and AfPub only announces itself before I pay the sub?

I bet that's it, it's just a trial thing

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

• 4 weeks later...

I'm seeing this same issue also on Designer.  Has there been any word on if this is just a trial thing or not?  I know I'm in Affinity Designer, what I don't know is my zoom level.  I use the zoom level a lot in drawing to compare the size of objects when zoomed in.  I don't want to spend $40 or $99 to find out this is not a trial thing.  I'm running this on an Mac using the Ventura OS.

1694839657_Screenshot2022-12-08at7_29_25AM.png.fd9c9a0deeb402e788b0e5b90381cfc4.png

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

It has to do with long(er) file names. This is the same behaviour as version one. So you'll lose the [Trial] and a space for a bit more room in that 'Status' thing which should show you the zoom % with that particular file name length.

For what it is worth, I don't see the name of the application after I open a document. Just the file name. This is on Mac OS 11.7

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

This is a trial thing. Without a document open you see the app name.

1075315426_Screenshot2022-12-08at1_45_09PM.thumb.png.d1d535039d5bd443d774b8578e637eac.png

With documents open you see the document name and zoom level.

504085211_Screenshot2022-12-08at1_45_36PM.thumb.png.d0f88e9f588c9d6332bf6852a959612d.png

When a document floated, the replacement for Separated Mode, you also see the zoom level in its title bar.

443013838_Screenshot2022-12-08at1_45_45PM.thumb.png.57b1d852410eba0c6311146162c574e6.png

6 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

In V1 I was using Separated mode which allowed pretty well any length name. 

That is still available in the 'torn off tab' view in version 2 (AKA Poor Man's Separated Mode).

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, MikeTO said:

When a document floated, the replacement for Separated Mode, you also see the zoom level in its title bar.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

That is still available in the 'torn off tab' view in version 2 (AKA Poor Man's Separated Mode).

Okay you two for the sake of a person that has operated in non-Separated mode very little.  You are saying people open a second document, or do a New View, just so they can pull the document off the tabs line?  That could be handy sometimes.  Thanks for the suggestion.  And it sure does away with the issue of the name length/zoom size.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

3 hours ago, Gear maker said:

Okay you two for the sake of a person that has operated in non-Separated mode very little.  You are saying people open a second document, or do a New View, just so they can pull the document off the tabs line?  That could be handy sometimes.  Thanks for the suggestion.  And it sure does away with the issue of the name length/zoom size.

Yes, you can tear a tab out of the main window or you can choose Window > Float Window which does the same thing.