You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

a typical optimization for websites is to save pictures at 72 dpi.

in addition, usually jpg format is preferred, due its higher efficiency if compared to, for example, png. a quality level around 80% should ensure that the image looks good when viewed in a browser.

16 bit color formats are preferred over 8 bit, to avoid banding.

their size in pixels and color adjustments depend entirely, as far as i know, from what surrounds them in the pages.

take care,

stefano

Hi Stef

Thanks for your kind reply. 

My fear is the size for the website images, to big and slow opening. to small, and horrid looking image.

I recall using once Dreamweaver and it had a good optimise section in it, could get the size down at 20-30 KB and quality of image stayed remarkably good, considering.

The best I can get right now is 123 KB.

Hi Guys.

Thanks for this.

Most images are 1600 x 1600 px. 300 DPI.

If I export them at a setting of 30% I can get them down to 142KB. I feel this would be still to big for the web.

I want to get the size down to about 248 x 248. Sadly when I do this to the document - CD covers - the text becomes horrid along with what seems the image as well.

Sorry for these stupid questions guys. I am thankful for your opinion.

By the way, this software is superb! Just thought I would add that bit  :)

Thanks Stefano - Paul.

That worked fantastic. I got it down to 19KB. 

Did it on Lanczos non (Don't actually know what that means - sorry) But it did what you probably expected, then I exported it and got the KB size that will work great.

I should be ok now.

Can I ask one last curious questions: what do you think is a perfect size for a parallax image that will cover the back of a main web page in KB? - only asked in case you knew from your own experience.

Thanks for everything. You guys were both a great help.

I really can't figure it out, sorry. The ancient times rule, the smallest the better, does not male that big dense anymore, since we have faster networks. I'm not a web developer and in the few sites i built i never used big images as bgdn, since it's been yeats ago and size did matter at that time

take care,

stefano

• Staff

Hi Dee-Music,

That depends a little on the type of image you want to use. Does it have a detailed subject/objects or is out of focus? Black and white or colors? Check a few sites that use a similar background image as the one you have, download them and check their dimensions and sizes (kb). You will then have a pretty good idea what to expect and common sizes used.