You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Does Affinity Photo V2 offer Image Tracing? (image to vector)

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KiwiNFLFan said:

Is this a feature that will be added in a later update?

Serif has not hinted that it might be. Best to assume it won't.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, KiwiNFLFan said:

What's with the censorship?

Not censorship, shaffer is making us guess Adobe. People come up with nicknames for Adobe in order to show how much they dislike the company. I find it tedious having to decipher some of them.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Not censorship, shaffer is making us guess Adobe.

Either that or possibly Apple? Regardless, it would be better if we didn't have to guess about the name or the reason for not just spelling it out in full.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

For image tracing one has to use third party tools as workarounds, A partial list of tracing tools can be found here in the forum ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

31 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

For image tracing one has to use third party tools as workarounds, A partial list of tracing tools can be found here in the forum ...

umm…..no professional is going to knowingly choose a handicap when time is money. Thanks for digging up that article though. 

6 minutes ago, not_like_theketchup said:

umm…..no professional is going to knowingly choose a handicap when time is money.

I think it is most likely that pros typically will choose whatever app or combination of apps that gets the job done quickly, easily, & accurately enough for their needs. For some jobs, an auto-tracer won't do that; for others it will.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

I think it is most likely that pros typically will choose whatever app or combination of apps that gets the job done quickly, easily, & accurately enough for their needs. For some jobs, an auto-tracer won't do that; for others it will.

Well I don’t know a single pro that needs image tracing every day, every job, every customer. Not sure where you got that from my statement. But when you do need it, not having it is a handicap pros will not choose. Not long term anyway. 

21 minutes ago, not_like_theketchup said:

But when you do need it, not having it is a handicap pros will not choose.

So why would they then not use an app that provided that, even if it did not provide everything else they needed for that project? IOW, choose whatever combination of apps that gets the job done.

Affinity Photo 

2 hours ago, not_like_theketchup said:

umm…..no professional is going to knowingly choose a handicap when time is money.

Although real professionals choose the best vector tracers and those provided by popular vector apps are only mediocre at best.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

11 minutes ago, not_like_theketchup said:

That may be your opinion, but I have yet to see that in reality. 

If one only traces simpler things, some app build-in tracers may be sufficient, but when it comes to recognizing the smallest nuances in pixel data (or even centerline tracing), that's where the wheat separates from the chaff very quickly.

12 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

If one only traces simpler things, some app build-in tracers may be sufficient, but when it comes to recognizing the smallest nuances in pixel data (or even centerline tracing), that's where the wheat separates from the chaff very quickly.

Like I said, I just don't know any professionals that really does it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/30/2022 at 2:30 AM, v_kyr said:

Although real professionals choose the best vector tracers and those provided by popular vector apps are only mediocre at best.

On 12/30/2022 at 3:16 AM, v_kyr said:

Please clarify what do you mean by popular vector apps and some app build-in tracers? Are you referring to the Image Trace tool built into Adobe Illustrator, or you're actually referring to these 3rd party apps suggested above? 

3 minutes ago, imageready said:

Please clarify what do you mean by popular vector apps and some app build-in tracers? Are you referring to the Image Trace tool built into Adobe Illustrator, or you're actually referring to these 3rd party apps suggested above? 

Yes, first of all meant here are the bitmap-to-vectorization facilities, which often do come along (are build-in) with the big players of vector drawing applications. - Though that also applies a lot to most of the seperate standalone tracing apps, there aren't most top notch too here, so there are all in all huge discrepancies in what certain of those tracers do offer in overall tracing quality and their capabilities.

On 11/11/2022 at 1:54 PM, Richard IV said:

I am not sure if image tracing is part of Affinity Photo V2.

On 11/11/2022 at 1:57 PM, GarryP said:

No, none of the Affinity applications can do image tracing.

As it turned out, this – surprisingly – not true: 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

21 minutes ago, loukash said:

As it turned out, this – surprisingly – not true: 

Well it's not part of Affinity Photo/Designer and so restricted here to Publisher. Next from what I saw it's nothing I would like to deal with, since it looks to generated thousend of unneccessary nodes here, as it probably converts all single pixels into single curve nodes.

Even a good overall finding, it's not that much useful in that/it's curent state, as it's just a sort of non optimized vectorization (aka amount of pixels -> to nodes).

18 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

it probably converts all single pixels into single curve nodes.

It would be nice if it actually would do that, but from my testing, it averages about 1 node per 8 pixels. Which is obviously more than enough for the actual functionality, i.e. Text Wrap.
Hence my hint in that thread, that "the more pixels, the better result". I've tested with images scaled up to something like 100000×100000 px (yes, Affinity can handle up to 256000×256000 px), and it can make a difference.

18 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

it's not that much useful in that/it's curent state

I consider it the best QR code vectorizer from all that I have used so far. Its deficit of being limited to using straight lines in strict 90° angle is the feature in this special case. :) 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

39 minutes ago, loukash said:

I consider it the best QR code vectorizer from all that I have used so far. Its deficit of being limited to using straight lines in strict 90° angle is the feature in this special case.

Not sure why I would need nowadays to explicitely vectorize QR code bitmaps, if can instead let them anyway be generate (right out of the box) as vectors?

In the past I used something like this which generates various QR-codes as bitmaps ...

... then wrote some own tools with the help of some Java frameworks for Bar-QR-codes ...

... which then generate directly SVG vectors instead of bitmaps, see therefor as examples ...