You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have been using the Canvas program on my Mac for about 15 years.

Got tired of hearing about Canvas coming back to the Mac.  I think its just a dream.

For the past few years I was stuck with OS 8.6 (Rosetta) so I could run Canvas

I decided to update my OS to 10.9 today and go with Affinity Designer.

After using Canvas all these years, I kind of felt at home with Affinity.

I am really enjoying the program.

Canvas had a line too for making simple straight horizontal and vertical lines.

I cannot find a line tool in Affinity

Am I overlooking something.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

John.

Now I just have to figure out how to convert all my Canvas files for use in Affinity.

• Staff

Hi John,

Welcome to Affinity Forums.

You can use the Pen Tool to create lines. You can select the Line mode (in the context toolbar, third icon in the mode section) if you want to "force" straight lines although it isn't really necessary. Just make sure you don't click and drag when placing a node with the other modes. Just click where you want to place a node and press ESC to end that path.

• Staff

Hello fperez,

Welcome to Affinity Forums.

You can't add a narrow to the end of a line but you can use geometric shapes (the triangle icon on the toolbar - hold it down for a few seconds to show all available shapes) to create an arrow. There a specific geometric shape for it with several parameters you can adjust to get the look you're after.

• 4 weeks later...

Line arrow-heads and dashes are on the road map.

This issue is a total blocker for me - dashes and arrows are a fundamental part of our illustrative work, and the idea that it might be missing never entered my head when I purchased Affinity. Is there a projected date or timeline for the addition of these features?

This issue is a total blocker for me - dashes and arrows are a fundamental part of our illustrative work, and the idea that it might be missing never entered my head when I purchased Affinity. Is there a projected date or timeline for the addition of these features?

Dashed lines will be in the next beta, which should be available later today. Arrow heads I don't know.

Dashed lines will be in the next beta, which should be available later today. Arrow heads I don't know.

That's good news about dashed lines.

I'd like to know there is a definite plan for arrows too - it's an odd omission. I've used many illustrative applications, and never come across one that had no arrow facility. Essential requirements are that:

1) Different arrows can be independently specified for the start and end of a path (including none for either);

2) The arrow size is user-defined, i.e. it isn't inferred by the line weight;

3) Arrows are automatically orientated at a tangent to the start/end of curved paths.

Options that would make it really outstanding would be that:

1) The weight of the arrows can be different to the path, e.g. a 1pt arrow at the end of a 0.25pt line;

2) The arrow size can scale with the object (as you can already do with the path weight).

If arrows and dashes are added, we would transition to using Affinity for most of our illustrative work. We really like the workflow, uncluttered UI and rendering.

• 1 year later...

I am coming from CS5 Illustrator for reference. I am hoping there is a function similar to clicking once and then entering a specific measurement you want for your line. I use the software for pattern drafting and often create straight lines of specific lengths as 'rulers' or to plot points that I then connect. I'm not seeing anything in the tool bar that relates to line length and I'm wondering if I'm overlooking it. Thanks!

~K

post-27092-0-42050500-1461544682_thumb.png