You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Artboard tool - problems with selecting

ziemowit

Hi,

I've noticed that Artboard tool in V2 works very annoying comparing to V1... If you want to select an artboard, you are forced to click on empty space on it, which sometimes is quite problematic (for example it the whole space is taken by objects). It's not efficient, the tool is selecting objects instead of artboards, please take a look at this short video: 

Would that be possible to revert this strange behavior in the next update?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hi, thx but this is a ver big regression in workflow comparing to v1... on some documents I use 30+ artboards. Moving them around, cloning etc. is a nightmare. I regret so much updating to v2... it's a way more unstable and worse software than v1 in so many areas... if I hadn't made projects in v2 I would definitely go back to v1.

I feel you man, they just basically fooled everyone with a bunch of pseudo-improvements and tools that you can easily live without, took the money and after a month they did basically nothing to at least fix the major bugs... for me V2 was just a marketing scam to earn some money, seriously I see 0 benefits after updating to v2, and a ton of bugs. It crashes so often on Macs, exporting multiple pdf in export persona is a nigthmare, even selecting text is causing problems:) Seriously, this is a big joke, no wonder Adobe is holding so good on the martket.

I were them, I would release V1 again, call it V3 and take some extra $ for it. For me going back to V1 would be a big step up🤣

I believe 97% of people here don't work with artboards, as I don't understand how else they are not furious with the constant crashes.. Working with artboards "forces" you to use export persona, where freeze bug lives.. Also working with artboards forces you to move stuff around, revealing selection bug..

For others to understand my frustration, the day before yesterday, I had to modify a project, I was working on it, random crash.. I opened the file again, luckily I had just a few modifications to do, worked on it, hit save... file was on external ssd, so It close on me... I opened it up again, modified, saved to local ssd, went to export persona to export for client - it froze... SO I OPENED IT UP AGAIN and that time it worked. I wonder how many would work like that, on 6-7 different projects (all with 7-10 different artboards) and be sane after a day like that.

I believe web designers use artboards quite often;) Imagine preparing website design, where you have like 30+ different pages. You won't keep them in separate files, because it will slow you down quite a bit. Anyway v2 from my point of view is a major downgrade in stability and usability, if I had a chance, I would definitely go back to v1 and take aa refund, v2 it's so far a beta for me, completely unusable for professionals.

• 1 month later...

Looking at the status bar at the bottom, to me it seems as if v1 was doing it wrong while v2 now does exactly what it says:

Click to select a shape to change the shape's parameters.

Note that it never said "Click to select an artboard". But in v1, the Artboard tool was only able to select artboards, not other shapes.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 hour ago, ziemowit said:

if you like to select shapes, you do it with move tool, that's what this tool is all about;)

Actually it's not so. You can select objects with many a specific creation tool, depending on what and where you're clicking with it. That's definitely intentional and "by design" as already confirmed by staff elsewhere. Hence my "gut feeling" that this change from v1 might have been intentional.

So let's wait what staff has to say here. :) 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

well, if so, that would be a huuuge downgrade in usability... imagine a project of huge website, where you have like 20-30 artboards. If you quickly want to select 5-10 of them and duplicate them, there was nothing quicker than clicking them holding cmd key, duplicating and repositiong. Now it really sucks. 

Tbo: I don't believe it was a "bug" in previous version and it should work like it is working now in V2. Do you really believe they wouldn't change that behaviour since version 1.0?;) If this was working for years like that - in my opinion this is the proper behaviour.

But why would we want another tool to do what the move tool does? What kind of F-d logic is that? Have all the tools select objects, but no tool to select artboards fast..

By clicking on an object with the artboard tool, it does exactly what the artboard tool shouldn't do. Isn't it logical to select artboard tool because I want to add/modify artboard? Why not make the color picker select objects? Maybe I want to select objects with the color picker then..

It's not about hating on other people, it's about getting the app fixed and improved!!! It has potential.

Funny how every bug is logged, forwarded, but ignored at next update...

Edited by Leigh
Devs and Support are people too :)

nobody said anything about hating etc. I just want to have AT LEAST the producitivity and functions of version 1. 

For now I feel like I made a major downgrade and paid some cash for it... If they want to ever compete with Adobe - well this approach isn't the right way imo....

26 minutes ago, ziemowit said:

If this was working for years like that - in my opinion this is the proper behaviour

In theory.

In practice, not always: 

Some bugs may have persisted for so long or even gone unnoticed that we have learned to work with them.

13 minutes ago, ziemowit said:

imo

This being the keyword here. ;) 
I, for one, don't mind this change. But that could be just me. Meh.

Obviously, Serif can't please everybody.

That comment was for loukash, he seems to accept things "as is". That's not how things work.. it needs improvement because it's more logical to use that tool as in V1.

You don't know how annoying a small thing like this is, until you work with a lot of artboards..

But yeah, V2 so far is pretty bad.. I got it for the warp tool, which I haven't used yet.. And for the knife tool. Other than that, a LOT of bad bugs in V2, and it's been enough time since release.

OFFTOPIC: This is how devs work nowadays, release a poop, then polish it. Look in the gaming world! Cyberpunk, Battlefield 2042, Callisto Protocol and so on.. I am so fed up with this mentality because whatever I purchase, I have to wait for the fixes.. the only thing you can do is come to the forum and post again and again, because otherwise they will bury it and when V3 comes out, you have the same bugs..

I don't understand how this topic is related to artboard tool tbo.

"Some bugs may have persisted for so long or even gone unnoticed that we have learned to work with them." - oh that's great to hear;D This speaks a lot of developers...

I'm not sure why you treat this as a normal behaviour, it doesn't make any sense. Where do you find any benefit being able to select "objects" with artboard tool? It's clearly a bug, because if you manage to click the white/transparent background - you can select artboard. But if you click any object inside, it works like a move tool, not artboard tool...

@norbinw

you're completely right, but the thing is you can't run a business like that nowadays, if you aim for a professional market. I can understand minor bugs etc., but this version is a pure joke. I just can't imagine how they could release such a shitty software to people who work with it on a daily basis, making a living from it. I know that they earned extra ton of money making this move, because it was dedicated to their current customers, so easy cash... It all looks veeeery "scamishy" if you consider what they actually added to the V2 - these features are no deal breakers in any way.