You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Warped text not printing properly

OldGoat

I designed a card with a background image and text which I warped horizontally.
If I print it, the "warped" text only prints what seems to be in the bounding box - cuts the txt off the top.
Photo show screenshot of what is "supposed" to print and then a photo taken of the actual print.

cut.jpg

Oldgoat Marketing - For all your internet marketing needs

I'm not seeing this but until this is fixed you might try converting it to curves before printing - that would remove the warp group. The text would no longer be editable so if you want to keep it editable only do this in a copy of the document.

I have seen a couple of people report that converting warped text to curves might fill in the counters of the letters so this may not work for you, but it's worth a try.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

24 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

I'm not seeing this but until this is fixed you might try converting it to curves before printing - that would remove the warp group. The text would no longer be editable so if you want to keep it editable only do this in a copy of the document.

I have seen a couple of people report that converting warped text to curves might fill in the counters of the letters so this may not work for you, but it's worth a try.

I tried converting to curves and it just printed out the normal text. Tried on 2 different make printers and one print output to pdf converter.

Tried a Canon MG7500, a HP Envy 5000 series & CutePDF

3 hours ago, OldGoat said:

I designed a card with a background image and text which I warped horizontally.
If I print it, the "warped" text only prints what seems to be in the bounding box - cuts the txt off the top.
Photo show screenshot of what is "supposed" to print and then a photo taken of the actual print.

cut.jpg

A workaround that worked for me was to export to jpg, png, tiff or pdf and print from there.

9 minutes ago, Dangerous said:

I tried converting to curves and it just printed out the normal text. Tried on 2 different make printers and one print output to pdf converter.

I think you converted the text layer to curves and not the warp group. Ensure the warp group is selected in Layers before converting to curves.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

4 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

I think you converted the text layer to curves and not the warp group. Ensure the warp group is selected in Layers before converting to curves.

Cheers

Yes that worked but it does mean text is no longer editable and if you have several blocks of text warped it would slow things down converting each one.

5 minutes ago, Dangerous said:

Yes that worked but it does mean text is no longer editable and if you have several blocks of text warped it would slow things down converting each one.

Just duplicate the warped text, hide one layer so that it doesn't print, and covert the other copy to curves. If you need to edit the text again later delete the curves version and make the hidden layer visible again.

4 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

Just duplicate the warped text, hide one layer so that it doesn't print, and covert the other copy to curves. If you need to edit the text again later delete the curves version and make the hidden layer visible again.

There is that, lol. I would have though of that one day. lol

This is either a Windows-specific issue or a printer-specific issue. I can't reproduce it at all on my HP LaserJet using macOS. Sorry, I don't have a Windows setup or a second printer to test with.

Gremiel confirmed the bug with their HP printer and presumably Windows computer but perhaps after more people report success or failures a pattern will emerge. And once things calm down I'm sure that Serif will do more testing to find the issue.

At least you can convert to curves to work around it for now.

15 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

This is either a Windows-specific issue or a printer-specific issue. I can't reproduce it at all on my HP LaserJet using macOS. Sorry, I don't have a Windows setup or a second printer to test with.

I have a HP & a Canon printer. I also use CutePDF which converts printer output to a PDF document, all 3 have the issue. Windows 10 computer so either an Affinity or a Windows issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Same here for Windows 11 and HP Color LaserJet Pro M255dw.  Print Preview image looks fine but actual printing shows no warp.

RELATED BUG?   Rasterising warped text clips it

WarpNotPrinting2.jpg

WarpNotPrinting.jpg

WarpNotPrinting.afdesign

Win 11 PCs 64bit  Envy and Envy tablet + Filter Forge  Retired computer systems tester doing graphics for charities and politics etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Printing problem with warp groups - warped text displays correctly, but prints un-warped.

To reproduce

• create text object
  • add warp group via the layers palette (arc - horizontal)
  • print the result

On-Screen:

image.png.620ac10005d35c91348bc044afad3cff.png

Printed:

image.png.71c224d568fb4014a8313dc2443badd1.png

Windows 11, Epson XP-960 printer, v 2.0.3

Converting the text to curves doesn't change the result; converting the whole warp group to curves does help - but of course then, the text isn't editable anymore.

Something seems to be broken when communicating with the printer driver - seems the program is assuming warping capabilities that the printer doesn't have??

Hope there's a fix for this in the works!

Cheers,

Torsten

Hi @ToH2002

It's a known bug and it is under investigation by the devs.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

@MikeTO   careful with the word 'it' 🙂
Quick test ...
arc warp of text sent to 'print to PDF' comes out straight and the same if the text  is converted to curves.
However, converting the warp group to curves does work and comes out curved

Win 11 PCs 64bit  Envy and Envy tablet + Filter Forge  Retired computer systems tester doing graphics for charities and politics etc.

9 minutes ago, gw_westdale said:

@MikeTO   careful with the word 'it' 🙂
Quick test ...
arc warp of text sent to 'print to PDF' comes out straight and the same if the text  is converted to curves.
However, converting the warp group to curves does work and comes out curved

Thanks, that's what I was trying to say. If you convert the text inside a warp group to curves you'll be converting the un-warped text which doesn't solve anything. You need to convert the warp group itself.