You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer V2: Warp only for vector elements, not images?

• Staff

Hi NBG,
Welcome to the forums :)

If you select your placed image and then from the context tool bar select convert to curves does the Mesh warp work with the image?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Do you have Affinity Photo installed if so you can jump to Affinity Photo using File > Edit in Photo...

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

7 minutes ago, Stepaan said:

Unfortunately, you can only warp images in AP and vectors in AD, as far as I know.

So it makes no sense for me to upgrade to V2 😞

But isn't the image a "vector" because i converted it into curves before?!?

6 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Do you have Affinity Photo installed if so you can jump to Affinity Photo using File > Edit in Photo...

I own AP V1 but this workflow makes no sense... i want to warp a whole group (incl. images) the way i want... and not switching between AP/AD and putting the puzzle together 🙂

You mean like Illustrator can do?

676629578_Screenshot2022-11-11at11_44_06.png.77950cf548e40a22c7ac9e889dee3c5e.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

21 minutes ago, NBG said:

So it makes no sense for me to upgrade to V2 😞

But isn't the image a "vector" because i converted it into curves before?!?

I own AP V1 but this workflow makes no sense... i want to warp a whole group (incl. images) the way i want... and not switching between AP/AD and putting the puzzle together 🙂

Well, you can warp it in AP, but as I said, you'll lose the ability to edit vectors, since they get converted into a bitmap.

3 hours ago, Stepaan said:

But AD doesn't warp images and AP converts vectors into bitmap when you want to warp them.

As a workaround until Serif gets it straight, er, warped, you may want to work with image placeholders first. Then switch to APh and warp a copy of the actual bitmap manually to match the placeholder. 
I haven't tested it yet but I was already thinking about this workflow yesterday. In theory, it should work.

Another workaround would be to trace the bitmap image.

Oh, wait… :/ 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2