You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where is the Affinity 2 executable file?

20 minutes ago, hotflyer882 said:

Looked in program files and nothing there. I want to put a shortcut on my desktop and an "open with" in another program.

There is none. I can't use it with dxophotolab. The only way to pin it to your desktop is to pin it to your Taskbar when it initially opens up after you install it. The Affinity 2 and all other Affinity 2 programs will not show up in your programs folder, which is absurd. I have never seen anything like this. 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/171330-where-is-the-affinity-2-executable-file/

It is installed as a MSIX package and it will show in your All Apps on Windows 11 which is what was the Programs previously:

image.png.ba73494a008e685c5c27f1aa893eee7e.png

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

1 hour ago, AiDon said:

It is installed as a MSIX package and it will show in your All Apps on Windows 11 which is what was the Programs previously:

image.png.ba73494a008e685c5c27f1aa893eee7e.png

Most people still run W10, and the software should be installed in your programs folder, just like Affinity Photo1, and DXOPhotolab and Davinci Resolve, and every other software out there.

• Staff

For those wanting to run PhotoPlus from within DAM applications please check this post

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

A simple way of finding the affinity 2 executables and of telling other applications where the executable is, can be found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzJlTi8b4Rs

That link doesn't always work. The gist of this guy's method for Windows is: first run the affinity application; next start task manager; right click on the Affinity application in processes to get a drop down menu in which one of the items is "open file location". Clicking on this will show the directory in which the executable resides. The executable is listed in this directory. Right click on the executable and select "copy as path". In  software like Photo Mechanic Plus, for example, paste this path as the file location and the  software will now be able to find the Affinity executable.

• Staff
4 hours ago, mizwizzy said:

From your start, drag it to your desktop. It remains in start and also puts a shortcut on your desktop. 

This does work but will need to be repeated when the software updates, so easy but will need repeating 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I found this problem while tying to do some debugging to see why it won't start on my Windows 10 box.

I didn't know about this, but it's Microsoft ... they now want to install into a hidden directory (that you can't see, even as Administrator).

Yet another good reason never to use Windows...

19 hours ago, PhilipPeake said:

I found this problem while tying to do some debugging to see why it won't start on my Windows 10 box.

I didn't know about this, but it's Microsoft ... they now want to install into a hidden directory (that you can't see, even as Administrator).

Yet another good reason never to use Windows...

My refund is being processed. I wasted enough time with this hot mess of a software rollout. And people need to get to grips that this is not a glitch or a bug in the software but a feature. A Microsoft lockdown software feature. This is why they released it in app form. 

4 hours ago, cybertec69 said:

My refund is being processed. I wasted enough time with this hot mess of a software rollout. And people need to get to grips that this is not a glitch or a bug in the software but a feature. A Microsoft lockdown software feature. This is why they released it in app form. 

You did see the post about them working (frantically I assume) to do a "normal" installer since this has turned out to be much less of a good idea than Microsoft advertised it as?

Like many others I have been completely baffled by the upgrade.  I had great faith in all three programs but after a few days I realised that I could not work out where the program files were, and then, that I cannot run Photo via several external programs, such as Faststone (the one I use most).

Not happy.  I would like the programs to be released as normal programs.  Puts me off buying any future upgrades.

GL

I hope this is going to be soon,. as my workflow has been seriously impaired. The missing exe file has disable my use of Faststone and Adobe Bridge.

I've been a keen user of AP and recommended it to friends, but do not feel I could do so at present. This is disappointing and does not enhance Serifs reputation.

• Staff
17 minutes ago, Callaghan said:

I hope this is going to be soon,. as my workflow has been seriously impaired. The missing exe file has disable my use of Faststone and Adobe Bridge.

I've been a keen user of AP and recommended it to friends, but do not feel I could do so at present. This is disappointing and does not enhance Serifs reputation.

what happens when you use the launcher provided by our developer?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff
19 minutes ago, Callaghan said:

notice that there was a comment that this would need to be reinstalled in each programme for every upgrade. 

Is this correct? 

No that is not correct, that was referring to something unrelated (trying to use an usupported backdoor method)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

23 hours ago, PhilipPeake said:

You did see the post about them working (frantically I assume) to do a "normal" installer since this has turned out to be much less of a good idea than Microsoft advertised it as?

They did not relate this to me in their email in regards to my refund request. I did let them know why I was asking for the refund. So they could have informed me in regards to what you are saying. I guess they could care less about their paying customers. 

As I have said this numerous times in here. This should have been on top of their checklist before releasing this software. Does it work with third party software editors like Affinity one does, let's give it a test run Charlie, oops looks like we have a problem here, let's get back to the drawing board and fix this before releasing our new "anticipated by millions" software to the masses. 

This was one bonfire of a software release. 

It should have never left the building. 

9 hours ago, Callaghan said:

GREAT NEWS!!!!

I tried walt.ferrell's recommendation of making a batch file and it works like a charm with FastStone ImageViewer.

file name:

Affinity Photo v2.bat

contents:  

start /b affinityphoto2.exe %1
exit

Did the same thing for Designer and Publisher.

Edited by blurred

• 2 weeks later...

After browsing this forum not without difficulty, being French, I found some ideas there and now I can launch AP2 from another application (DXO Photolab).
Here's how I did:

Go to C:/programs\Affinity and create a new "Photo2" directory, or whatever name you want
nglais

Then go to: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPhoto2_2.0.0.1640_x64__3cqzy0nppv2rt\
You will need to have the necessary rights, and if necessary create them.
Copy everything in this directory
Then paste in the "photo2" directory that you created.
The Photo.exe file is located in the directory: C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo2\App and is now accessible from your other favorite photo editing software.

On 11/11/2022 at 10:07 AM, cybertec69 said:

There is none. I can't use it with dxophotolab. The only way to pin it to your desktop is to pin it to your Taskbar when it initially opens up after you install it. The Affinity 2 and all other Affinity 2 programs will not show up in your programs folder, which is absurd. I have never seen anything like this. 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/171330-where-is-the-affinity-2-executable-file/

I have the same problem with DXO Photolab. 

I know Serif moved the files to the Windows 11 starting location. That location isn't available even as an administrator. Changing access rights so DXO can start Affinity does not work.

This really needs to be fixed.

I am also unable to export from photolab. I am aware of workarounds from Serif in short term but I'm running Windows 10 and cannot get these to work presently.

I'm having to export to photo V1 , save it as an afphoto file, then open it separately in V2  which is a bit tedious to say the least