You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Performance: are CPUs of AMD slower compared to Intel in Affinity?

9 hours ago, cgidesign said:

Nvidia driver is 526.98 studio (that's the one, that has the bugfix for some open CL issues in other applications).

Oh, interesting result too from my perspective. I'm using an older Nvidia gaming driver and not the studio driver (and a newer generation of the hardware). I'll have to update the driver and see if that makes any difference. 

I did a clean boot and ran the benchmarks again to see if the behaviour is consistent, which it is. I can reproduce this result every time. 

image.png.a5ddec7be5e8697ac6154fd4262cc9a7.png

image.png.1dbdb65d0c009ac2b382111d1a2256d6.png

EDIT: after updating to the 526.98 Studio driver instead of the older game driver, the behaviour is identical. I also updated my AMD chipset drivers to the ones released on the 21st of this month. So it's not the graphics driver or the chipset drivers causing the performance hit. 

image.png.18b00d25bd932a9c3d4cae5b639d4582.png

image.png.4c2e442da716ca8489ef93ddc206bbb8.png

15 hours ago, TheFlow said:

My board only supports PCI-E 3, not 4. So I doubt a newer SSD will bring much of a performance boost.
I have found multiple threads in different sources (twitter, gaming forums, here etc) where the 1700X is shitty and the newer AMD 5000 series CPUs just work fine.

It takes about 35-40 seconds every time. Nothing in the task manager spikes besides the CPU, but only a bit, nothing comes close to 100%. AD and AP always hang for at least 10-15 seconds until anything responds and on my new work machine with Intel CPU exactly this part is not present. It loads, then loads 2-3 seconds when the initial Logo of the App goes away and bam, I can start working immediately.

SSD has been checked with Magician and also CrystalDiskInfo.

Samsung Pro -> I have had many SSDs failing on me over the years, but I had nothing but great experiences with Samsung Pros while Crucial, Kingston and Seagate died on me. Never had a fully broken Samsung SSD. So that is my "why". I know it is always a shot in the dark.

Ryzen 5600X, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro nvme (my 256 always needs to be freed up) and 16 GB more RAM on the way, (needed the Ram anyway and figured I upgrade). If all goes to the trenches I can still build a decent Intel System with the parts and sell or send the Ryzen back. I'll let you know... :)

Dude, the Ryzen 1700X isn't a shitty processor, it's... um... artisanal.😕 But seriously, I've got your same CPU and MB, an aging GPU and not terribly fast RAM, with nothing overclocked. Affinity Photo V2 load time is less 5 seconds, including the time it takes me to fumble through the Trial popup. And since one, single -- not-well-debugged -- program is an outlier, it makes no rational sense to blame the 1700X.

I'm not saying that it's as fast as new processors, far from it -- and I don't mean to be a dick, but you seem more interested in justifying an upgrade than identifying the actual issue. And most people who build systems, on Twitter and everywhere else, don't know WTF they're doing. OK, well, I do mean to be a dick to them.🤬

16 hours ago, TheFlow said:

My board only supports PCI-E 3, not 4. So I doubt a newer SSD will bring much of a performance boost.
I have found multiple threads in different sources (twitter, gaming forums, here etc) where the 1700X is shitty and the newer AMD 5000 series CPUs just work fine.

It takes about 35-40 seconds every time. Nothing in the task manager spikes besides the CPU, but only a bit, nothing comes close to 100%. AD and AP always hang for at least 10-15 seconds until anything responds and on my new work machine with Intel CPU exactly this part is not present. It loads, then loads 2-3 seconds when the initial Logo of the App goes away and bam, I can start working immediately.

SSD has been checked with Magician and also CrystalDiskInfo.

Samsung Pro -> I have had many SSDs failing on me over the years, but I had nothing but great experiences with Samsung Pros while Crucial, Kingston and Seagate died on me. Never had a fully broken Samsung SSD. So that is my "why". I know it is always a shot in the dark.

Ryzen 5600X, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro nvme (my 256 always needs to be freed up) and 16 GB more RAM on the way, (needed the Ram anyway and figured I upgrade). If all goes to the trenches I can still build a decent Intel System with the parts and sell or send the Ryzen back. I'll let you know... :)

5600X is a good processor. That is what we put in husband's machine.

I just upgraded from a 3600. I tried 3900X for the extra cores and to be plain,  I was unimpressed by the performance boost from the 3600 compared to what hub was getting on the 5600X. His machine just seemed so much snappier. I wasn't impressed enough for the cost, so I returned to get the 5800X which was cheaper and I apparently picked up good silicon so have a nice OC on top.

There is a significant boost in-between platforms. Probably less to do with rated speeds/etc, more to do with architectural changes and maybe that modern software takes more advantage of newer tech. It's one thing to look at a facts sheet, it's very different to experience this when testing with your own setup, applications, witnessing the changes. It's very easy to see what you are actually getting. Ex: Hub started with a 2600X before and he wasn't able to run full settings in things like Doom Eternal. He had a NVIDIA 3070 in his machine, so it wasn't that. He took the step upgrade to my 3600 initially, saw major improvement from that leap alone. He could run everything on full settings (sans raytracing obvs). Then to 5600X, it just seemed even more rock solid. Technology is amazing.

If you do decide later to go for updated GPU and have the entire system up to date, that will last you a good long time as well as your processor will not be a major hindrance to a newer card. Which was a factor for me to upgrade because as I see it, more and more applications are being GPU-driven (especially VRAM).

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

6 hours ago, cgidesign said:

Strange. I hope others find this thread and can test as well.

The mainboard of my workstation is faulty and I now need to decide if I try to find a new trx40 board to keep my old AMD Threadripper alive or switch to a new system with Intel.

I assume you checked the board's warranty status.

Other considerations on switching from AMD to Intel (and sometimes just switching mainboards), and vice versa:

• It requires an OS reinstall, and getting it back "just so" is always a bigger pain than you think it will be.
  • If Windows, you'll have to deal with activation. Make sure you have your bitlocker keys/passwords backed up.
  • Many websites, such as banks and health insurance companies, authorize access to your account to a specific "machine". This can be an unbelievable hassle.
  • It will necessitate dealing with TPM, which holds encryption keys and protects your machine from every conceivable threat. Or it does nothing. Nobody knows...
  • You'll forget to save all your presets from Photo, Photoshop, etc... Goodbye custom palettes and brushes!
  • Windows use a Möbius file hierarchy in c:\users, and you will go bugf*** trying to copy the whole thing, especially if you have DropBox.
  • When doing time-consuming, mass Windows file operations, it will proceed normally until the moment you leave the system, whereupon it will stall with: "thumbs.db is system file...", causing you to scream obscenities when you return. This cycle repeats indefinitely.
  • You'll be stuck with a new BIOS setup written by the criminally insane.

16 minutes ago, ChopperNova said:
  • Many websites, such as banks and health insurance companies, authorize access to your account to a specific "machine". This can be an unbelievable hassle.

This is a right pain in the ass that bites me regularly.

I activate all privacy options possible in browsers and only use Firefox or Brave. I then have a raft of addons to block trackers, randomize the user agent, the canvas fingerprint, the audio fingerpint and pretty much everything that modern tracking software uses to identify a computer, as well as automatically deleting every cookie and local storage set by a site as soon as I close the tab. So to these websites, every time I hit their website, it looks like a new user to them.

I had one of the data companies who I subscribe to for work accuse me of sharing my password with 76 different people because I do this and their dumb software doesn't even bother to check the IP address to see that all these 76 "different logins" come from the same IP !! I think they felt pretty stupid when I pointed this out to them.

1 hour ago, debraspicher said:

5600X is a good processor. That is what we put in husband's machine.

I just upgraded from a 3600. I tried 3900X for the extra cores and to be plain,  I was unimpressed by the performance boost from the 3600 compared to what hub was getting on the 5600X. His machine just seemed so much snappier. I wasn't impressed enough for the cost, so I returned to get the 5800X which was cheaper and I apparently picked up good silicon so have a nice OC on top.

There is a significant boost in-between platforms. Probably less to do with rated speeds/etc, more to do with architectural changes and maybe that modern software takes more advantage of newer tech. It's one thing to look at a facts sheet, it's very different to experience this when testing with your own setup, applications, witnessing the changes. It's very easy to see what you are actually getting. Ex: Hub started with a 2600X before and he wasn't able to run full settings in things like Doom Eternal. He had a NVIDIA 3070 in his machine, so it wasn't that. He took the step upgrade to my 3600 initially, saw major improvement from that leap alone. He could run everything on full settings (sans raytracing obvs). Then to 5600X, it just seemed even more rock solid. Technology is amazing.

If you do decide later to go for updated GPU and have the entire system up to date, that will last you a good long time as well as your processor will not be a major hindrance to a newer card. Which was a factor for me to upgrade because as I see it, more and more applications are being GPU-driven (especially VRAM).

I agree about the GPU. They're increasingly doing more single-thread Heavy Lifting previously performed by CPUs, diminishing the relative importance of single-thread CPU performance. I went for the 8GB Radeon RX580 (a long time ago) over the similarly priced 4GB cards with sexier specs, because you can't upgrade the VRAM, figuring those 4GB cards will become obsolete quicker. When I was buying, video cards had become obscenely expensive, almost prohibitively so.

My Ryzen 1700X overclocks the frequency nicely, but it doesn't net any tangible benefits except for the electric company.

My comparison between V1 and V2 Photo's benchmark. It looks like V2 gets better performance on CPU, lower on GPU.

I did not open other applications except Affinity Photo while I was doing the benchmark.

Specs:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (latest driver version)
  • Mainboard: Asus X470-PRO (latest bios version)
  • RAM: Gskill trident Z 32 GB (DDR4)
  • GPU: Asus RTX 3060ti (latest studio driver version)
  • Storage: SSD NVMe M2 (Samsung 970 Evo)
  • Affinity Photo preferences: Open CL enabled.

I think Affinity should provide a standard numbers of benchmark for comparison between user scores and Affinity recommended scores.

The low performance of Affinity on Windows AMD system is really an issue. I can do video comp, motion graphics so smoothy with Davinci Resolve; do 3D tasks on Blender with my satisfaction. But Affinity...

AP Benchmark V1 vs V2.jpg

20 hours ago, ChopperNova said:

I don't mean to be a dick, but you seem more interested in justifying an upgrade than identifying the actual issue.

Actually no, I used this machine for about 4-5 years now, I'm just at my wit's end. The only conclusion I have is that there is some kind of hardware/software interference that does get in the way. I start AP or AD, doesn't matter and for a couple of seconds it all goes well - then - it hangs.

Here's a video, not directly from screen recorded so nothing additional interferes with AP2.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qg6g7wy1gncfoco/IMG_2799.MOV?dl=0

20 seconds of "not responding" seems super weird to me.

The only thing that comes to my mind I have not tried is changing my GPU drivers to Nvidias game ready drivers instead of studio drivers.
Hardware acceleration is OFF and working in the program feels a bit smoother compared to ON.

Also, a benchmark of my system. 1700X, 16GB 3000 Ram, GTX 1060 6GB.bench_v2.jpg.4bbc6828663b1558286df024e584f502.jpg

2 hours ago, TheFlow said:

I start AP or AD, doesn't matter and for a couple of seconds it all goes well - then - it hangs.

Here's a video, not directly from screen recorded so nothing additional interferes with AP2.

Comparing your video to what normally happens - first you see "Loading fonts", which you're seeing, then rapidly after that, "Loading data",  which you're not seeing during this long wait. So something is blocking during the launch process.

You resource usage looks very low. It's not nailing the CPU, GPU or SSD, so I doubt the problem is your hardware

This looks suspiciously like a blocking system call or the program waiting on something and timing out. A blocking system call is a low level operating system function, such as one to read from a network socket, that blocks and waits if there's no data available. Generally programmers will try to avoid blocking calls when a user interface is displayed, since it can lead to an unresponsive program. However, Serif might be using one during the application launch process, as the UI is not displayed yet (the code for a blocking system call is a easier to implement than an asynchronous variant - forgive me if you know this already and I'm teaching granny how to suck eggs)

It could also be something like a DNS timeout or it's getting a file read error on an operating system resource it needs to load during startup, so retrying multiple times and eventually giving up (it wouldn't hurt to do a "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" followed by a "sfc /scannow")

Hopefully Affinity has the ability to create a debug log. This will probably point to where the problem is.

@Patrick Connordoes Affinity have the ability to create a debug log to assist in troubleshooting this problem?

4 hours ago, TheFlow said:

Actually no, I used this machine for about 4-5 years now, I'm just at my wit's end. The only conclusion I have is that there is some kind of hardware/software interference that does get in the way. I start AP or AD, doesn't matter and for a couple of seconds it all goes well - then - it hangs.

The only thing that comes to my mind I have not tried is changing my GPU drivers to Nvidias game ready drivers instead of studio drivers.
Hardware acceleration is OFF and working in the program feels a bit smoother compared to ON.

Also, a benchmark of my system. 1700X, 16GB 3000 Ram, GTX 1060 6GB.bench_v2.jpg.4bbc6828663b1558286df024e584f502.jpg

Thanks for the video.

• You have some antimalware running, I'd kill ALL that stuff for testing. It could even be a malformed Windows Firewall rule, just remember to turn it back on, if you want.
  • Photo uses scratch folders and keeps recovery files in them. There could be a corrupt recovery file, or permissions issue. Or simply low disk space -- just because raw space exists, doesn't mean the file system can deal with quickly.
  • In your task manager, click on the box that says GPU and look at the graphs there. If your SHARED GPU MEMORY in use is more than 1GB, you might start encountering issues. I've noticed sometimes Photo V2 really swallows that just doing nothing.
  • Have you tried redownloading/uninstalling/manual cleanup/reinstalling?

21 hours ago, Sonny Nguyen said:

My comparison between V1 and V2 Photo's benchmark. It looks like V2 gets better performance on CPU, lower on GPU.

I did not open other applications except Affinity Photo while I was doing the benchmark.

Specs:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (latest driver version)
  • Mainboard: Asus X470-PRO (latest bios version)
  • RAM: Gskill trident Z 32 GB (DDR4)
  • GPU: Asus RTX 3060ti (latest studio driver version)
  • Storage: SSD NVMe M2 (Samsung 970 Evo)
  • Affinity Photo preferences: Open CL enabled.

I think Affinity should provide a standard numbers of benchmark for comparison between user scores and Affinity recommended scores.

The low performance of Affinity on Windows AMD system is really an issue. I can do video comp, motion graphics so smoothy with Davinci Resolve; do 3D tasks on Blender with my satisfaction. But Affinity...

AP Benchmark V1 vs V2.jpg

Numbers between different benchmark versions are not comparable. That means the underlying test could have changed for GPU that literally cut some of our readings in half without representing any actual changes in under the hood performance. We would never know, though will say for me, the CPU results seemed to be about the same? I'd have to check. As for your CPU results, that is a standard variance between tests from V1. Hard to say w V2 without more testing... but basically the results are intended to be averaged across runs.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

@TheFlow

OK, I have a simple potential solution.

In the directory where your "Photo.exe" for V2 resides, there's a program called cltest.exe. It's a little utility that Photo executes internally shortly after it loads "fonts..." It checks the status of the machine's OpenCL capabilities. If I double click it, a window pops open and vanishes before I can read the text.

If this file were to stall, it could cause your symptoms.

I make no claim of the safety of this, but if you double-click cltest.exe and there's a delay, that might be the culprit.

If you run it in CLI, it will display data relevant to your OpenCL configuration.

Thanks so much for trying to help me here @ChopperNova, really appreciated. It does however not stall or anything, I have removed almost all of my fonts by now, testing if they are the reason for the hang. The cltest.exe was finished instantly, not even a second. Also opened help.exe and aftest.exe in CLI, nothing happens but they do not take long, help doesn't do anything, aftest runs for about 3-4 seconds and is done after that.

In the meantime I deactivated Windows Firewall and all anti virus functions, unplugged my WiFi dongle, turned all network adapters off (deactivated the drivers), cleaned the whole system with CCleaner (which I haven't done in a while). Everything got a bit snappier again, but not the start of AP2. 😝

image.png.c90ed00f81b3e20b1567c89badaf2a3d.png

The general performance of AP2 feels better compared to when I started this thread, the only thing that really bugs me now is the startup time, but I think that part I can live with for now. Been for example using 3dsMax for years and that software took 2-3 minutes every time. Right now that is a first world problem and if I have any other ideas, I will obviously just try them out. :)

@TheFlow

At least now you know the status of your OpenCL as Affinity sees it.

3DSMax taking 2-3 minutes to start is abnormal. Maybe check 3DSMax startup log? The name of the file is Max.log and it should be located somewhere like:

C:\Users\<yournamehere>\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\<version>\ENU\Network

I love the name, "Max.Log". It's like a Tom Cruise character...

Tom Cruise as Secret Agent Max Log

Fighting rain-forest drug cartels

in

Undercover Lumberjacking!

But seriously folks, logs aren't just for lumberjacks anymore. If 3DSMax is encountering the same issue as Affinity Paint, that may hold the key. You should resolve this, if possible, because it's likely the cause of other performance issues, even if they're not obvious. Plus it may help others, which is a non-trivial bonus.

Just generally, how do games load and perform, and do you think they're stable?

Although it won't affect your problem, you should kill Steam when not in use as it's constantly causing all kinds of mischief.

Grandpa voice:"Back in my days, we looked through Windows and we saw many logs inside. At the same time, the prices of firewood went through the roof."

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough: not using 3Ds Max anymore, I had to use it in university but threw it as far away as possible the second it made sense. We're talking about 2011.

Everything on my system runs stable (working on illustrations, 3d, sculptures and some client stuff for video productions, even in 4K sometimes. I wonder myself how stable this "old" machine usually is, which makes me reluctant to spend 2-4k on a completely new PC). The only exception the startup/UI sluggishness of the Affinity suite, no matter V1 or V2, though V2 is different overall, seems snappier in some aspects, slower in others.

On 11/26/2022 at 5:33 PM, TheFlow said:

The general performance of AP2 feels better compared to when I started this thread, the only thing that really bugs me now is the startup time

How many Photoshop plugins do you have installed on your system?

I ask because there's an issue with many audio DAWs, wherein they'll go through looking at all the audio plugins, regardless of whether or not they're for them, on any given system. 

Maybe (and I have no idea this is the case), Affinity Photo is sniffing into your Photoshop plugins folders.

And were plugins the reason your 3ds Max install took minutes to launch? And/or having all their content packs installed and the script debugging tools etc? 

@deeds, thanks for the ideas! No Photoshop filters installed but I get it, audio plugins can also be a pain in the butt sometimes.

Like mentioned in the post before, haven't used 3ds Max in over 10 years. So I can't remember exactly but we only used V-Ray and that made it probably a bit slower, but not that much. It was just normal for it to load long. It took a _good while_ longer by the end of the last semester where we used ForestPack for a few weeks. It's a big library of trees/grass, heavy geometry, especially instanced hundreds or thousands of times. But other than that, no plugins as far as I remember.

New SSD, benchmarked it. Reads and writes with 3000mb/s. New Ryzen 5600X, snappy af and for my sculpting alone it is a HUGE boost. And 16GB more Ram.

Affinity however does not start any faster on my Windows installation.

BUT:

Reformatted the new SSD with my cloned system, installed windows fresh and clean on it. Watch:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gy8xzyid9ypeyxv/IMG_2809.mov?dl=0

3-4 seconds! 😍 Still no clue what it is/was. Will move to the new windows in the coming days.

Solution so far: install fresh windows!

On 11/28/2022 at 8:02 PM, TheFlow said:

Ironically in the windows 95~XP era that was my #3 advice for fixing virtually all weird issues in windows. If you couldn't fix it by restarting or with in 20mins of basic trouble shooting you were probably better off reformatting.

Windows Vista-8.1 still had quite a few reformat modems, mostly caused by hard drives and ram malfunctions corrupting system files, but since Windows 10 though half of everything that really seems like it could be fixed with reformatting isn't and now it's one of those things that when people bring it up I'm more likely to on the hesitant side of triple check for hardware issues first. Despite the fact with portable programs and modern hard drive speeds it can be pretty fast to reformat nowadays.

Literally last week a friend of mine was having the weirdest monitor issues, and was chomping at the bit thinking reformatting would fix it for sure, and I was trying to talk him into doing more trouble shooting before hand. Unwilling to wait he reformatted the computer 4 times in a row before finally doing more testing and figuring out that the monitor was in fact the issue and it wasn't windows. On the bright side he got a killer deal and a nice monitor over black friday because of the timing.

I notice (in that video) your WLAN spiking at the same time, which can be a real bottleneck, whether it's an anti-virus checking the app signature against an online library, or something caching / syncing / comparing recent document versions with a networked service e.g. DropBox, Google Drive, any of the many competitors, or even a local NAS.

Anything else that does network communication in the background can also potentially affect your computer speed, e.g. Windows checking for updates.

Even if you are offline, an app's "check if there's a network available" behaviour can consume considerable time, rather than any actual network traffic - some apps can even slow down starting if you are offline because they spin their wheels repeatedly looking for a network connection that isn't there.

We've seen something similar at work where most of our common documents are synced for backup, and have moved some time-response-critical data to non-synced folders.

Not sure if any of this relates to your situation (particularly if a Windows re-install fixed it) or Affinity apps (checking for that licensing login? new products or news for the splash screens?) but I thought I'd throw it in as something to think about.

On 11/29/2022 at 3:02 AM, TheFlow said:

New SSD, benchmarked it. Reads and writes with 3000mb/s. New Ryzen 5600X, snappy af and for my sculpting alone it is a HUGE boost. And 16GB more Ram.

Affinity however does not start any faster on my Windows installation.

BUT:

Reformatted the new SSD with my cloned system, installed windows fresh and clean on it. Watch:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gy8xzyid9ypeyxv/IMG_2809.mov?dl=0

3-4 seconds! 😍 Still no clue what it is/was. Will move to the new windows in the coming days.

Not work bro. I've tried to install a fresh windows 11 months ago. Nothing changes.

9 hours ago, Sonny Nguyen said:

Not work bro. I've tried to install a fresh windows 11 months ago. Nothing changes.

Out of curiosity have you tried changing the render method from the video card to WARP, and disabling OpenCL?

9 hours ago, Sonny Nguyen said:

Hey Sonny, Are you using Wifi or direct cable internet? What Firewall/Virus Protection?
I just went back to the "old" SSD here with all my current Windows settings still intact. And by reinstalling the Network Drivers completely, with drivers from the manufacturer - it got a bit faster. About 25 seconds instead of 40, so that is not so bad. Hope anything helps you out.

9 hours ago, RPC said:

Out of curiosity have you tried changing the render method from the video card to WARP, and disabling OpenCL?

Yes, sure all the methods that I did: disabling OpenCL, change to WARP, fresh windows, update bios, update driver, disable 3rd parties apps, clean remove and clean install Affinity, nothing changes. As I said before, I think there are some issues with Affinity core and AMD system.

9 hours ago, TheFlow said:

Hey Sonny, Are you using Wifi or direct cable internet? What Firewall/Virus Protection?
I just went back to the "old" SSD here with all my current Windows settings still intact. And by reinstalling the Network Drivers completely, with drivers from the manufacturer - it got a bit faster. About 25 seconds instead of 40, so that is not so bad. Hope anything helps you out.

I'm using direct cable internet, MS Defender. It's not about starting up the app, it's about the laggy when using the app.