You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher crashes every time when opening a document

• Staff

Hi @Vaclav Slovacek,

The afpackage and afdesign files inside are all opening fine for me, can I double check it's those files that crash on open for you? One of the afdesign files has a linked resource I am missing so I'm wondering if that is part of the reason I might be able to reproduce it.

Can you remove the afdesign files from the package temporarily and see if that opens for you?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

It does not crash. When I tried it before sending it crashed, but maybe a document in another tab was the cause when I am thinking about it.

2 hours ago, Jon P said:

Can you remove the afdesign files from the package temporarily and see if that opens for you?

Do you mean removing the linked document from the Publisher file using it? Or switching it to embedded? Not sure why the linked file is not included in the package, seems Affinity does not include nested linked files in the package.

Just to clarify I have this structure:

Publisher Document A, contains Designer document B, which contains Designer Document C. This is intentional as it helps to reuse resources and propagate the changes from Document C. Do you want me to remove usages of Document C from the Document B? And then try if the document A still crashes?

Linked documents are a great feature on the paper, but to me it seems Affinity has issues with it. Are nested linked documents supposed to work or it is a known limitation that they cause issues? It seems these issues arise when doing anything more complex.

Is there any way to provide/enable more detailed logging?

Also does it make sense to send crash logs from the macOS dialog via "Send to Apple"? Do you guys receive those?

Not sure this is related to the issue (probably not). But on crash if I Reopen Publisher the macOS Terminal opens with the following text:

Last login: Mon Nov 14 14:41:57 on ttys018
/Applications/Affinity\ Publisher\ 2.app/Contents/MacOS/Affinity\ Publisher\ 2 ; exit;
(base) REDACTED ~ % /Applications/Affinity\ Publisher\ 2.app/Contents/MacOS/Affinity\ Publisher\ 2 ; exit;
2022-11-14 15:01:01.338 Affinity Publisher 2[17448:1888471] CoreText note: Client requested name ".SFNS-RegularItalic", it will get Times-Roman rather than the intended font. All system UI font access should be through proper APIs such as CTFontCreateUIFontForLanguage() or +[NSFont systemFontOfSize:].
2022-11-14 15:01:01.338 Affinity Publisher 2[17448:1888471] CoreText note: Set a breakpoint on CTFontLogSystemFontNameRequest to debug.
2022-11-14 15:01:01.365 Affinity Publisher 2[17448:1888471] CoreText note: Client requested name ".SFNS-RegularItalic", it will get Times-Roman rather than the intended font. All system UI font access should be through proper APIs such as CTFontCreateUIFontForLanguage() or +[NSFont systemFontOfSize:].
2022-11-14 15:01:01.509 Affinity Publisher 2[17448:1888471] *** CFMessagePort: bootstrap_register(): failed 1100 (0x44c) 'Permission denied', port = 0xaa03, name = '6LVTQB9699.com.seriflabs.ipc.release2.server'
See /usr/include/servers/bootstrap_defs.h for the error codes.
2022-11-14 15:01:04.104 Affinity Publisher 2[17448:1888471] Failed to select item with enum value -3!
2022-11-14 15:01:04.107 Affinity Publisher 2[17448:1888471] Failed to select item with enum value -3!
2022-11-14 15:01:04.108 Affinity Publisher 2[17448:1888471] Failed to select item with enum value -3!
2022-11-14 15:01:04.268 Affinity Publisher 2[17448:1888471] Could not find image named 'chainlink'.
2022-11-14 15:01:04.268 Affinity Publisher 2[17448:1888471] Could not find image named 'chainlinkconnected'.

• Staff

Is there any way to provide/enable more detailed logging?

The crash report is the best we easily have access to, and that seems to be pointing towards an issue loading a linked resource.

I was wondering if removing any of the linked documents before opening (so they then appear as missing, and can be re linked) would fix the issue on your side since I'm not getting any issues opening the files you attached.

Nested linked documents should be fine, we have had a few issues in the past that have been hard to replicate that are similar to this, when we are sent the files to investigate we can't reproduce the crashes happening. Previously breaking and restoring the links has fixed those few issues for customers

OK. I will play with this and check if that helps. I have feeling it might as the frequency of this issues grow over time up to unbearable level as the documents get "older". I have tried to use "Save As..." as people mentioned it might save "cleaner" file than the regular "Save". However that doe not seem to help. Is there any tool/process to somehow check whether the files are OK? 

If this is not fixed in the next minor/bug-fix release it would be good to have at least some more logging around this feature or a way to provide more details about it back to Affinity.

It is an issue spanning from 1.x era and I really hoped this would get resolved in the next major version. It really makes it difficult to use Affinity productively. I really want to love your products because aside stability they are a great package.

I have renamed the folder with the linked documents. Then relinked.

Publisher has not crashed so far (cca 10 minutes). Before it happened within 1 minute after opening the doc.

The CPU usage after relink is very high - hundreds of percents. Whatever Publisher does in that process seems to help. Will update this post when I experience a crash again.

Just so this is not forgotten the above workaround seems to be very short lived. Getting crashes again and again. Doing the trick with moving thing around but with gorwing complexity of the document it seems to diminish very quickly.

Attaching error log from one of the crashes. Although I am losing hope that Affinity will resolve this in foreseeable future.

publisher-error-3.txt

• Staff

Hi @Vaclav Slovacek,

I can continue to look into this and see if I can reproduce a crash.

The package that you sent contains links to an afdesign file, which links to another afdesign file (Atlas Resources) which I don't have, could you upload this document (and if it contains any links itself, those documents) so I have access to all the files being opened, hopefully then I might be able to reproduce the behavior so we can investigate this issue.

Looking at the crash report, it seems to be struggling to load a linked PDF resource which I can't see in the files I have received

Thanks