You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

CURIOUS PRICING

Explanation please Serif

If i buy from the UK the price is £89.99 including £15 VAT
But if I buy from Jersey, the price is £89.99 including no VAT

Why is the price in Jersey £15 higher than the UK

HMRC rules on VAT clearly state that Jersey and Guernsey are rated at ZERO VAT, so why are you not applying the rules correctly.

The price in the Channel Islands should be £74.99 which is what you receive anyway, and you should declare no VAT on the purchase

affinity  uk.png

Affiniy Jersey.png

• Staff

Serif sell at a constant price irrespective of local taxes (the same is true in many other countries like the USA)  Serif take the hit on local taxes to make marketing at a constant advertised price work, one that others can tell people "I got it for this price" without difference caused by location 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
5 minutes ago, E9B6 said:

Why is the price in Jersey £15 higher than the UK

To be clear it's the same basket price. That's going to make for the least customer confusion 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

14 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Serif sell at a constant price irrespective of local taxes (the same is true in many other countries like the USA)  Serif take the hit on local taxes to make marketing at a constant advertised price work, one that others can tell people "I got it for this price" without difference caused by location 

Sorry, that doesn't seem to add up with my experience and now I'm feeling confused, too.

If I convert 90GBP to EUR I currently end up at pretty much 100EUR give or take (conversion rate fluctuation, etc.).

Converting 75GBP to EUR I end up at 80EUR.

So now let's look at my order confirmation, it feels as if VAT (19% in Germany; "Umsatzsteuer/USt" or "Mehrwertsteuer/MWSt" are the German equivalents) was added on top of that rather than "taking the hit":

image.png.2f3b6afe8f1b26d32512d04a914c84f9.png

I don't mind as much, since I want to support the business model, but it still feels odd/confusing.

• Staff

By a Constant price I meant constant in any given currency so £89.99 for everywhere that uses GBP.

If you can find a currency you can pay with that is cheaper than another and your payment method allows you to pay in that currency then you can buy in that cheaper currency. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff

I can see how the exchange rate between € and £ gives that impression.

To make our prices consistent across all the stores we sell in, Serifs pricing matrix is mirrors Apples, and they have recently taken the strong $/€ exchange rate into account and upped their € price relative to the $. I would not be surprised if the Apple changes their $/£ rate, meaning the £ price increases too if the £ continues to be weak against the $ but for now the $ price is quite competitive in relation to the £ but less so in relation to the € (and other currencies). We are consistent but it doesn't always look clear, sorry 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

My experience in Brazil is good on Microsoft Store, for $71,04 universal license.

In Serif Store acessed from Brazil the price is $99,99 include IVA.

I have a chance to get price $67,29 purchasing Microsoft gift cards with discount in websites or bank apps and in Microsoft store use the gifts value to pay.

Just now, Bruno Belo said:

My experience in Brazil is good on Microsoft Store, for $71,04 universal license.

In Serif Store acessed from Brazil the price is $99,99 include IVA.

I have a chance to get price $67,29 purchasing Microsoft gift cards with discount in websites or bank apps and in Microsoft store use the gifts value to pay.

But i dont purchased, i using trial version for test, after final maybe purchase.

On 11/11/2022 at 8:55 AM, Patrick Connor said:

If you can find a currency you can pay with that is cheaper than another and your payment method allows you to pay in that currency then you can buy in that cheaper currency. 

No, everywhere I use that handles Guernsey and Jersey correctly ensures the post code on the billing address starts GY[0-9] or JE[0-9] and that matches with the CC billing address or it fails to process. VAT exemption is tied to billing addresses in those jurisdictions.

Amazon and many other UK and international companies do this.

• Staff

Email AffinityOrders@serif.com I'm sure they have more experience of this than I and can help you 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Seems straightforward enough to me: if you buy in Jersey, the price is £89.99; if you buy in mainland UK, the price is £74.99 + VAT.

Serif can charge what they like in different countries. If you prefer your extra £15 to go to Serif, buy it in Jersey; if you prefer the £15 to go to His Majesty's Revenue and Customs, buy in the mainland.

Martin

6 minutes ago, Martin S Taylor said:

Serif can charge what they like in different countries. If you prefer your extra £15 to go to Serif, buy it in Jersey; if you prefer the £15 to go to His Majesty's Revenue and Customs, buy in the mainland.

You don't get to choose - it's down to where your credit card billing address is.

Our offshore cost of living is already higher than the UK - we pay to go to our doctors, emergency room, shipping on everything, higher food costs, flight costs. What we save not paying VAT we pay elsewhere. We don't need online businesses artificially inflating prices for us as well.

You're right they can charge what they like but don't expect people here to like it or put up with it. I was personally already on the fence about this upgrade - I only wanted webp and variable font support and v2 only has one of those.

1 minute ago, Blende21 said:

Can we just shut up this nonsense ? We got some pieces of fine new software at our hands, and should focus on mastering their abilities instead of wasting time of trivia.

Nobody asked you to join in this thread.

Serif has possibly the most hostile community members I've seen in 20 years of using support forums. Well done for your contribution.

• Staff
29 minutes ago, Blende21 said:

Can we just shut up this nonsense ?

These forums are a delicate mix of user chatroom and customer support communication lines. As such people choose to tell Serif what they think, and we listen. Please don't tell them not to its part of the forums function

31 minutes ago, Blende21 said:

We got some pieces of fine new software at our hands, and should focus on mastering their abilities

That's lovely, more of this please, but perhaps in your own threads

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd