You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer freezes up when using export persona

Bambao

Every time when I'm in Export Persona and exporting a file, the moment I want to select a folder Designer is freezing up (I have no experience with Affinity Photo neither with Publisher). I have to "force stop" the program and restart. Had that already in v1.x.x and same thing is happening in v2.0.0!!!

Mac OS Ventura 13.0.1 | App 2.0.0 | 2022 Apple M1 Max Studio

Yep, can confirm. This bug is still present from V1.

marekmati.com

[MAC OS 12.2, MacBook Pro  2017, 15-inch, 2.9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon Pro 560, Intel HD Graphics 630, 500GB SSD + Philips Monitor 4K/60fps 10bit color via DisplayPort to USB-C cable]

Affinity Publisher 1.10.5, Affinity Designer 1.10.5, Affinity Photo 1.10.5

Well, on the Macbook Air works well, not on the Mac Mini. As they share the same M1 processor, it seems that the issue is of compatibility nature, probably conflicting with something installed in the mini. (The Air is a barebones computer for testing with minimal ad-ons)

I'll try to refine the issue by deactivating apps and system extensions so the issue could be best targeted.

Ok. After some trying, I got Designer working good after disabling the Mega client and the Lulu network filter. And it continues to work after opening them again, so it is for sure some background process conflicting with Designer. Not sure what of the two was the culprit.

I hope this could be of help to any of you.

• Staff

Hi, Thanks for reporting this issue, it's one were currently aware of and hope to fix soon.

Currently the workaround is to force close the app and not restart the system. Following a force close it should work, but after each mac restart the crash/freeze will happen.

Lee

19 hours ago, LeeThorpe said:

Hi, Thanks for reporting this issue, it's one were currently aware of and hope to fix soon.

Currently the workaround is to force close the app and not restart the system. Following a force close it should work, but after each mac restart the crash/freeze will happen.

Lee

That used to work with version 1 (for me at least) but is being extraordinarily stubborn in v2. I thought it had been fixed on first testing with a file that continually exports 19 slices, assumed it was the linking to Dropbox that had repaired it. Now however its reappeared and app quit and reopen is not clearing the error this time – or with restart.

Very frustrating.

Mac Studio M1 Max 32GB

Mac Studio M1 Max 32GB RAM running Sonoma 14.2.1
ASUS ProArt screen and Hewlett Packard HD second screen. 
Affinity Suite 2.4.0 and Beta releases

Jeeeesus Christ!! Will this EVER get a fix?? I have to work on 4 different files, label groups.. after every one of them, it freezes on export!! At least in V1 you had to force close 2-3x max, and you were good to go. I've closed this shit app 6 times now!!!! and still persistent freeze. And I'm still not done with work.. Is there even a response from devs about a fix coming? It's fukken impossible to work and I'm losing money and time with this beta of an app that I purchased, 2x!!!!! 2 Times I have paid money, and BOTH versions crash. Seriously, whats up with that?

On 11/16/2022 at 6:51 PM, LeeThorpe said:

Lee

That doesn't meet the criteria for a workaround. It's an emergency landing!

It's simply too lousy a maneuver, so it's incomprehensible that the bug wasn't fixed in v2. It's beyond me how such errors don't get high priority at Serif. You'd have angry enough customers if you had to update to v2 to get rid of this bug, but that it also exists in v2... 

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

3 hours ago, François R said:

That doesn't meet the criteria for a workaround. It's an emergency landing!

It's simply too lousy a maneuver, so it's incomprehensible that the bug wasn't fixed in v2. It's beyond me how such errors don't get high priority at Serif. You'd have angry enough customers if you had to update to v2 to get rid of this bug, but that it also exists in v2... 

One workaround that was worked for me is to export one slice to the desired folder trough the export dialogue in the design persona, and then exporting all slices trough the export persona. For some reason that skips the freezing.

1 save OK, 1 export freeze. CONSTANTLY!! I must use export persona, because I work with artboards, making 7-8 dimensions at once, and in a hurry because tomorrow they all go on Holiday. You can't imagine the amount of genitals I "send" at Serif for being so ignorant bastards. Just now It fuking close on me because I forgot about this handicapped app can't save to FAT, and saved to ssd.. after crash, I saved a copy locally, then export persona - freeze. JEEEEEEESUSS F-ING CHRIST! Seriously how am I suppose to work like this?

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "Export Persona hang in Open and Save Panel Process when Exporting Slices" (REF: AFD-5921) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1781".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

Affinity designer (2.04) freezes up when exporting pdf files of any dartboard in any document.  After several force stops, the problem persists.  This is a critical and fatal error for my use of Affinity Designer should this problem not be fixed.  Basically, I can't get my content out to my customers. Never had this issue with version 1 of the program.