You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Thumbnails don't work when saved with v2 but work with v1.

What do you see in File Explorer, with View set to Medium or Large Icons?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Strange. I'm seeing thumbnails.

Have you checked your Designer Preferences to make sure you're set to save thumbnails?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

And does that file really have no extension? Perhaps that's part of it?

-- Walt
PC:

Yes, save thumbnails is enabled.

Windows just cuts off the file name they both have extensions one is named:

poker20_5mm.afdesign

the other is

poker20_5mm_intertwinedv2.afdesign

The extensions are just cut off in the screenshots.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

@RPC Sorry for the delay, we're very busy at the moment trying to catch up with everything.

If you're still having issues, right click your Windows desktop and select View > Show desktop icons. This should remove all icons from your desktop view, now repeat the process to put them back for me the icon then displayed a preview. I believe it's related to Windows caching.

I had the same issue. Tried reinstalling affinity photo 2, clearing cache, changing view options, none of these worked.  But this worked. Go to any afphoto file, right click, and select 'open with' but select another program than affinity photo, select always on the bottom. The program will fail or an error trying to open it so you may need to close it. Then do this again but this time select affinity photo 2 and click the always on the bottom. All your thumbnainls will be regenerated as you open folders with the photo as the thumbnail.

• 1 month later...

I have this same issue with .afpfoto thumbnails in windows after upgrading to V2. Have tried all the tricks in this thread (+ clearing thumbnail cache with Windows’ Disk Cleanup).

The behaviour is similar on both pc and laptop (windows 11) - .afphoto thumbnails not showing, .afdesign ok.

I'm currently using two image organisers: Eagle(.cool), which behaves like windows – even though it claims to support .afphoto. Plus Acdsee (Ultimate 2021) which shows both file types just fine.