You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher v2 - Resources manager

Okaay, I've been with Affinity software since day 1, which means 8 years ago for Designer. They have been through a lot and I'd like to be able to use it professionally but I can't. The lack of scripting/batch processing ability and the some simple feature to add like a function in the *Resource Manager* like a "Select All" a "Link to Folder" the selected files is a no go for me. Working on a 200 pages with more than 300 pictures is not manageable that way. Thanks for adding it… soon.
I've supported all 3 softwares so far and I think I will it too for version 2 but I doubt I'm going to use it for "real" job. I hope and believe Serif can make it right.

I agree that Affinity needs scripting and Serif has stated it is in development (but no ETA provided), however I don't understand your other request.

3 hours ago, nicolasbulb said:

...and the some simple feature to add like a function in the *Resource Manager* like a "Select All" a "Link to Folder" the selected files is a no go for me

You can select all - just click on one file in Resource Manager and then press Cmd+A (Ctrl+A on Windows). I do this all the time to change between embedded and linked.

You can also click Show in Finder or Find in Windows Explorer to show the folder containing the resource. You can't do this for multiple resources at once because having dozens or hundreds of Finder or Windows Explorer windows opening at once would be mad.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

2 hours ago, MikeTO said:

You can select all - just click on one file in Resource Manager and then press Cmd+A (Ctrl+A on Windows). I do this all the time to change between embedded and linked.

My bad…

but…

2 hours ago, MikeTO said:

You can also click Show in Finder or Find in Windows Explorer to show the folder containing the resource. You can't do this for multiple resources at once because having dozens or hundreds of Finder or Windows Explorer windows opening at once would be mad.

No, that's not my point. We need a feature available since InDesign CS5 12 years ago that allows selecting all or a bunch of files in the "Resource Manager" and connect these files to a new folder. Alongside my graphic design practice, I'm a professional retoucher and prepress, and I'm preparing all my files in RGB format first then I'm creating specific CMYK folders for specific paper profiles (ISO Coated, PSO Uncoated…). Some jobs use several different papers that need different profiles. I'm having the exported files in different folders but I keep the same name. With InDesign, I'm able to "Relink to Folder…" (see the attachement below). I'm even able to Relink files with that e same names but different file extension. Super useful and a huge productivity boost. Trust me on this one. Cheers.

2022-11-11-InDesignCC2021-link.jpg

5 hours ago, nicolasbulb said:

No, that's not my point. We need a feature available since InDesign CS5 12 years ago that allows selecting all or a bunch of files in the "Resource Manager" and connect these files to a new folder. Alongside my graphic design practice, I'm a professional retoucher and prepress, and I'm preparing all my files in RGB format first then I'm creating specific CMYK folders for specific paper profiles (ISO Coated, PSO Uncoated…). Some jobs use several different papers that need different profiles. I'm having the exported files in different folders but I keep the same name. With InDesign, I'm able to "Relink to Folder…" (see the attachement below). I'm even able to Relink files with that e same names but different file extension. Super useful and a huge productivity boost. Trust me on this one. Cheers.

Affinity has this feature, too, but it's more limited and there's a trick.

Put your linked RGB files in one folder and your CMYK in another. When you want to switch to CMYK, close your document, renamed the RGB folder to something else, and open your document. When Publisher tells you your images are missing (it might take a while with hundreds of images, even on an SSD) and asks if you want to re-link, go ahead. It will ask you to find the first missing image - choose that image in the CMYK folder. All of the rest will relink automatically. As long as the files are named exactly the same, you've now relinked your document to the CMYK versions.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

18 hours ago, nicolasbulb said:

Okaay, I've been with Affinity software since day 1, which means 8 years ago for Designer. They have been through a lot and I'd like to be able to use it professionally but I can't. The lack of scripting/batch processing ability and the some simple feature to add like a function in the *Resource Manager* like a "Select All" a "Link to Folder" the selected files is a no go for me. Working on a 200 pages with more than 300 pictures is not manageable that way. Thanks for adding it… soon.
I've supported all 3 softwares so far and I think I will it too for version 2 but I doubt I'm going to use it for "real" job. I hope and believe Serif can make it right.

Sounds like you need a corporate-scale feature for your "real job". That probably justifies the corporate-sized price-tag.

But what if the resource manager is crashing everytime?!

When I replace a linked file and open Affinity Publisher again, it stil has informations of the old picture.

I open the resource manager, the changed file is recognized as a changed picture but when I try to refresh it, the resource manager crashes.

I would like to change all pictures of my book (more than 200) to get a version with CMYK pictures in it. But this seems to be impossible, because I have to replace it manually and I have to maintain to two versions of the document.