You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RAW Develop from Apple Photos

Revanian

Hi everyone!

Some observations right out of the gate.

-The edit with command > AP 2, opens a tiff file in the Photo Persona rather than sending the RAW file over. Is this expected behavior?

-When editing with the AP 2 Photos extension it does send over the RAW file to the Develop Persona but it does not include the camera data. See attached.

I'm also noticing that many of the former v1 Photos extensions are missing, will these be coming back?

Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 5.58.11 PM.png

Also, I've noticed that, when using the Photos Extension (from within Photos Edit window) any previous edits are ignored and the original raw is always passed. Is this the correct behaviour?

Also, If I do try to edit using "Edit With" (outside of Apple Photos Edit  window) then sometimes the changes are passed back to Apple Photos and sometimes not.

Can anyone explain what the expected workflow should be from taking a RAW into AP-2 from Apple Photos and then performing several separate editing sessions?

Are there known bugs?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Revanian and @Corius

We are aware of these issues and I've passed your examples over to the devs to help with their investigation. 

On 11/11/2022 at 12:21 PM, Corius said:

when using the Photos Extension (from within Photos Edit window) any previous edits are ignored and the original raw is always passed. Is this the correct behaviour?

The current work around for this issue is to export the latest edits from Apple Photos and load that version into Affinity Photo. 

1 hour ago, Revanian said:

another thing that I was curious about is with the embedded RAW layer in the develop persona, is this saving this to the file as a TIFF? DNG? or some other method?

It's all internal .afphoto data, and the format of the Affinity files is not documented.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...
On 11/21/2022 at 10:03 AM, EmT said:

Hi @Revanian and @Corius

We are aware of these issues and I've passed your examples over to the devs to help with their investigation. 

The current work around for this issue is to export the latest edits from Apple Photos and load that version into Affinity Photo. 

Is this issue fixed in v2? i.e.will the edit extension pass the edited RAW file from Apple Photos?

• 2 months later...
On 1/30/2023 at 10:51 AM, MEB said:

Hi @StratocLP,
No, this issue is still open/logged with dev, no progress yet, sorry.

Following up on this topic to see if there were any new developments with 2.1.

Separately, with v1 there were many more AP extensions for Apple Photos, were they removed for a reason or will they be coming back later?

• Staff

Hi @Revanian,
No, these issues are still open, except the Edit With command sending a TIFF file which is "By Design" in Apple Photos. If you want to edit/access the RAW instead use the Edit In Affinity Photo extension. The Edit With command is intended to be used with generic image editors which do not support RAW files directly. I've updated/bumped the other issues to bring them up to devs attention again.

Regarding the second question, the small specialized/minor extensions were removed from V2 but you can still have access to their functions through the Edit in Affinity Photo extension which remains in V2 and launches the whole Affinity Photo application. As far as I know the minor extensions will not return back. 

On 5/2/2023 at 6:39 AM, MEB said:

Hi @Revanian,
No, these issues are still open, except the Edit With command sending a TIFF file which is "By Design" in Apple Photos. If you want to edit/access the RAW instead use the Edit In Affinity Photo extension. The Edit With command is intended to be used with generic image editors which do not support RAW files directly. I've updated/bumped the other issues to bring them up to devs attention again.

Regarding the second question, the small specialized/minor extensions were removed from V2 but you can still have access to their functions through the Edit in Affinity Photo extension which remains in V2 and launches the whole Affinity Photo application. As far as I know the minor extensions will not return back. 

Thanks for the follow up. I'm using Apple Photos as my main DAM until I can find something better that works with iCloud photos (maybe Photomator) so having this integration/handoff work well is important.

• 2 months later...

Buenos días:

Me ocurre lo mismo, estoy utilizando como DAM la App Fotos de Apple y la edición con Affinity Photo 2. Tal como habéis descrito en las anteriores respuestas, estoy muy satisfecho con Affinity pero necesito otra biblioteca (DAM) que no sea Fotos de Apple y que de además, de garantías de migración de los archivos. Por otro lado, lo ideal sería que Serif implementara una DAM para que no ocurriera todo lo que nos está pasando ahora y de una vez por todas poder trabajar tranquilos y sin tener que depender de dos desarrolladores que se tengan que poner de acuerdo para solucionar algo que cuanto menos tarda varios meses. En este sentido hablo de Apple. No veo correcto tener que depender de ellos para poder trabajar y más cuando estos señores tienen su programa de biblioteca y edición que para la mayoría de usuarios es suficiente. 

Yo estoy liado con todo esto al dejar Apple de dar soporte a Aperture 3 y ya son unos cuantos años. Ahora, en el caso de que Serif realice una DAM, habrá que esperar que la migraciones de los archivos se puedan realizar correctamente y ya, con todo "en uno" poder estar tranquilos.

Tampoco entiendo por que antes de sacar una cámara, por ejemplo la Z8 de Nikon, no son capaces en Japón de mandar a los desarrolladores de los programas de edición las instrucciones necesarias para procesar los RAW y no tener que hacer ingeniería en Serif inversa. Menos mal que estamos en el siglo XXI.

Un saludo.