You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Installation provides no choice of drive

42 minutes ago, Perrorist said:

Could Affinity offer an alternative to MSIX?

They probably won't. They've invested a fair amount of development time implementing and testing this support.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Did you do this?

To move the App:

Settings  > Apps, then select the V2 App, and click on Move.

I should point out that the apps are still hidden, albeit on a different drive.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

20 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

They probably won't. They've invested a fair amount of development time implementing and testing this support.

if they did the research they would have  found lots of problems with msix that makes professionals avoid msix if they can. Like the problem people are having now where they cant start the program directly, for some it works for others it don't, is basically a mess with the app sandboxing, and quite frankly, why do my software I bought the right to use need to be locked away from me?

Edited by signoc

This entire Windows App design choice is a terrible idea. 

Actually finding and running the app is a complete PITA. What about those people who just want an icon on the desktop that can be double clicked to run the program?!! But no, I have to go find the shortcut link in AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps, send a shortcut to the desktop and then go an find an icon, since there are no icon resources in the shortcut link

EDIT: I don't want to have to click the menu, scroll down, then click the app. I just want to double click it on my desktop for quicker access, but that choice is not open to me now, annoyingly so. This is literally the only piece of significant software I have where I can't interact with it in the normal way. I use a desktop, not a tablet and I'd imagine most Windows users of Affinity also use it on a desktop or laptop and won't find the move to the tablet-focused part of the Windows 10 interface very helpful

1 hour ago, rvst said:

This entire Windows App design choice is a terrible idea. 

Actually finding and running the app is a complete PITA. What about those people who just want an icon on the desktop that can be double clicked to run the program?!! But no, I have to go find the shortcut link in AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps, send a shortcut to the desktop and then go an find an icon, since there are no icon resources in the shortcut link

EDIT: I don't want to have to click the menu, scroll down, then click the app. I just want to double click it on my desktop for quicker access, but that choice is not open to me now, annoyingly so. This is literally the only piece of significant software I have where I can't interact with it in the normal way. I use a desktop, not a tablet and I'd imagine most Windows users of Affinity also use it on a desktop or laptop and won't find the move to the tablet-focused part of the Windows 10 interface very helpful

I haven't purchased Affinity 2 yet, but it sounds like the Affinity 2 installer creates some sort of Start Menu entry in Windows. If that's the case, you should be able to open the Start menu and scroll to your app name. Then, left click and hold the app icon to drag and drop a shortcut anywhere on your desktop for quick launch. Unless Serif did something weird with the installer, you can generally use that trick with any software that doesn't create a shortcut on the desktop but has a Start Menu entry.

Just now, MoonKnight2 said:

I haven't purchased Affinity 2 yet, but it sounds like the Affinity 2 installer creates some sort of Start Menu entry in Windows. If that's the case, you should be able to open the Start menu and scroll to your app name. Then, left click and hold the app icon to drag and drop a shortcut anywhere on your desktop for quick launch. Unless Serif did something weird with the installer, you can generally use that trick with any software that doesn't create a shortcut on the desktop but has a Start Menu entry.

Thanks, I know all that and that I can drag and drop in the way you suggest. If you look at this comment, you'll see why that's unsatisfactory: 

8 minutes ago, rvst said:

Thanks, I know all that and that I can drag and drop in the way you suggest. If you look at this comment, you'll see why that's unsatisfactory: 

Oh, wow. I haven't seen that other link and read about the icons. What an odd design choice. I can see why there is some frustration in the forums.

I moved the apps to a preferred drive and created shortcuts. They all looked the same, so I replaced the icons with those from V1 and now it all looks like it should have done from the start. I repeat my comment that the decision to use MSIX and provide no alternative was a bad one and should be reconsidered.

On 11/10/2022 at 10:56 PM, Perrorist said:

The installation of all three products went automatically to my 😄 drive, despite it being close to full. I would have preferred the option to choose a different drive.

You can tell Windows to install Apps onto any drive. Use Settings > Storage

Windows does not always remember these settings. It could be that they are reset after a Windows update. It behoves you to check before any new installation.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630