You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unable to activate V2 licence on windows

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Where did you purchase the license?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks. So, you might try this:

1. Run the program, and click Continue Trial.
  2. Once in the application, open the Account function. This will be the top icon in the first dialog you get, or the icon on the right side of the Toolbar.
  3. Sign in there.
  4. If it gives you a way to link or register your license, do it. (I don't think it will.)
  5. Stop the application, and restart it.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Hi Walt

Thanks for helping me with this error.

Unfortunately, I don't get a "continue trial" option.   I get the following licence activation box only.  I use the same login details here as what I use to log into my affinity account online.  I'm not able to get past this to open the application :(

I also tried installing a trial version (I have the universal licence) and came up with the same activation box again.

image.png.e97585aea0ea31f46c4b3c34183799aa.png

I have the same issue as user m3000. The app downloaded is an .MSIX install, it is a Windows store installer. If you are having an issue with the Windows Store or any Store apps there is NO WAY to activate the app.
  Serif programmers MUST take a different tack and have an option to pass off the Universal license number for local activation. Then once the app is open you can sign into the account inside the account for server side confirmation. This will avoid any firewall issues as well as 3rd party security program firewall blocking.  
 OR provide an EXE install. 

• Staff
10 hours ago, m3000 said:

Unfortunately, I don't get a "continue trial" option.   I get the following licence activation box only.  I use the same login details here as what I use to log into my affinity account online.  I'm not able to get past this to open the application :(

Please double check the details you are using and even try resetting your password and logging in again.

9 hours ago, cdcl said:

I'm having the same issue — universal license bought directly from the Affinity/Serif website (MacOS)

Are you also getting the same message Affinity ID or Password not recognised?  Just want to be clear its the same error.

8 hours ago, JoeK said:

I have the same issue as user m3000. The app downloaded is an .MSIX install, it is a Windows store installer. If you are having an issue with the Windows Store or any Store apps there is NO WAY to activate the app.

Please can you confirm you are getting the same error about the Affinity ID and Password not being recognised.  This shouldn't be related to a Firewall blocking Affinity, as you'd get a different error as well as notification from your firewall the app is being blocked.

4 minutes ago, stokerg said:

Are you also getting the same message Affinity ID or Password not recognised?  Just want to be clear its the same error.

Yes, the same error, using the credentials that I used to login to the Affinity store

Edited by cdcl

• Staff
28 minutes ago, cdcl said:

Yes, the same error, using the credentials that I used to login to the Affinity store

I've had the logs checked and you are entering a wrong password or Affinity ID.  It's the same for @m3000as well.  So i'd suggest resetting your password via our website and trying again.

7 minutes ago, stokerg said:

I've had the logs checked and you are entering a wrong password or Affinity ID.  It's the same for @m3000as well.  So i'd suggest resetting your password via our website and trying again.

I checked the MacOS keychain password app again and found that I was trying to use an old password for <affinity.store> instead of the current <serif.store>

Issue resolved. thank you for helping to clear that up.

There is no workaround when the server cannot be connected. This NOT a Firewall issue in my case. Is there a way to activate the app after sign in.with my account I have a Universal license and it works as designed on the Mac and iPad, the Windows store has a LOT to be desired and i need a way to launch the app without first activating, THEN sign into my account.  An .MSIX files can look to a URL for updates to run the newest version, perhaps a post activation version would address this issue. 

image.thumb.png.6832b8b9218f3c113e3cc86f7a8b8e0c.png

10 hours ago, stokerg said:

I have reset my password numerous times and it has not fixed the issue.  I have also changed it to have no special characters or numbers.

I am using my email address as my affinity ID.  If that is not my ID where can I go to find what it is?

Edited by m3000
spelling

Hi, I had the same issue. However I tried first to use my V2 license code to get in. The trick was, that didn't read correctly, what the input mask really wanted - you should use your ID, used for your Affinity account and then don't put in your license code, but your password for your Affinity account.

This worked for my installation

kind regards

Uli

On 11/11/2022 at 4:12 PM, m3000 said:

I am using my email address as my affinity ID.  If that is not my ID where can I go to find what it is?

The email address is the one associated with your account at the Affinity Store (store.serif.com or affinity.serif.com/store) and the password for it. It is not the email address associated with these forums (forum.affinity.serif.com).

You may use the same email and password for both, or you may have different emails, same email but different pasword, or a forum account and no Store account at all.

And if you are letting a password manager fill this in for you, it might be choosing the wrong one. (That happened to me on my iPad, where the facial recognition and automatic fill-in chose the wrong account.)

-- Walt
PC:

I did a reset of my password manually. Start one Affinty App, in the Dialog to enter your ID, i clicked "forgot my Password" an set a Passphrase easy to remember instead of usung automatic feature by the Mac 

Started one app in Trail Mode, hit at the upper right of the App the button to connect my App with affinty.serif.com used my new password and  Bingo.

My new password was not in the Password Safe of my Mac jet. To do so I triggered at the affinty.serif.com Site a Password change, and used my remembered password phrase again

The password Safe of the Mac discovered two affinity sites, affinity.store and store.serif.com  

Edited by JanD

Thank you, everyone for all of your activation solutions.  I am one step closer...

For context:

• Windows 11 machine
  • v2 universal licence
  • know my login details for the affinity store and affinity forum - both different - both work
  • tried installing directly from the affinity store but would go straight to the activation screen as in my previous posts
  • several uninstall and reinstalls
  • have reset my password several times

I have now installed it directly from the Windows Store. This allowed me to select a trial option before going to the activation screen (this does not happen with the download from the affinity store).

Now again.... does not recognise my login or password.   

Is there anyone from serif that can help me get out of this activation loop I'm stuck in 😣

image.png.b54507f1c88cefe249f333ae119b1ce3.png

28 minutes ago, m3000 said:

Now again.... does not recognise my login or password.   

Are you sure it is the email and password of your Affinity Store account?

Not from the Affinity forums. And not the license info from your purchase (which some users have been trying to use instead of their passwords).

-- Walt
PC:

9 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Are you sure it is the email and password of your Affinity Store account?

Not from the Affinity forums. And not the license info from your purchase (which some users have been trying to use instead of their passwords).

Hi Walt - am using the email + password that I use to log into https://store.serif.com/ to try to activate the software

4 minutes ago, m3000 said:

Hi Walt - am using the email + password that I use to log into https://store.serif.com/ to try to activate the software

Thanks.

Have you logged in at https://affinity.store/account and looked in the V2 Licenses and Downloads tab, to verify that you have a license?

(Sorry if this has been asked before, it's hard to keep track with various users using the same topic.)

-- Walt
PC:

Thanks, @m3000.

@stokerg mentioned above that the logs showed you had entered either the wrong ID or password during the Activation step. And you mentioned you've changed the password, and clearly (from the screenshot above) you know the right ID and password :) 

If that same ID and password are failing in the Activation step, possibly there's a flaw in the Activation code that can't handle some characters in email addresses or in the password. Have you tried a shorter password, and one containing more common characters (perhaps just upper- and lower-case letters and digits)? Sometimes excessively complex passwords can confuse applications. (I also saw one post mentioning an issue with "&" in an email address.)

-- Walt
PC:

On 11/16/2022 at 11:21 PM, walt.farrell said:

Thanks, @m3000.

@stokerg mentioned above that the logs showed you had entered either the wrong ID or password during the Activation step. And you mentioned you've changed the password, and clearly (from the screenshot above) you know the right ID and password :) 

If that same ID and password are failing in the Activation step, possibly there's a flaw in the Activation code that can't handle some characters in email addresses or in the password. Have you tried a shorter password, and one containing more common characters (perhaps just upper- and lower-case letters and digits)? Sometimes excessively complex passwords can confuse applications. (I also saw one post mentioning an issue with "&" in an email address.)

Hi Walt - thanks for all your support.   I changed my password to something very short with no special characters and numbers and then waited 24 hours.  It actually worked this time 🎉 Finally managed to activate the licence!