You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1 minute ago, ATP said:

I rarely use Designer but when I do 90% of the time I'm converting raster to vector and this tool would make the process 100x faster. So much productivity would be gained in this task if only they kindly would implement this tool.

I just use Inkscape>Trace Bitmap (free, multi-plat) and import in as SVG. If you needed an alternative.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

List of workarounds, slows workflow down, but yea, we don't get to decide what Affinity want to integrate.  

Inkscape

DragPotrace mac

Potrace cli

imagetracerjs javascript

Autotracer.org, web

Rapid Resizer, web

Vectorization.org, web

Vectorizer free tier available, web

Image Vectorizer $5, mac

Super Vectorizer $40, mac

Vector Magic $295, mac and windows

5 hours ago, Distanzia said:

Here's a thread from 2014...  It's crazy to think that you would have implemented this by now (2022) unless you're going the Reason Studios route, "We know what you need, you don't!"  unless I'm missing something.... 

"We know what you need, you don't!"... I really think that this is what is going on here!

20 hours ago, Distanzia said:

Here's a thread from 2014...  It's crazy to think that you would have implemented this by now (2022) unless you're going the Reason Studios route, "We know what you need, you don't!"  unless I'm missing something.... 

It rather depends upon the quality of "tracing" that you expect. I bought Vector Magic which sells at £200+ because I often convert pixel to vector. It is a sophisticated product but even so often disappoints. I think your expectation is a little excessive. £200+ for one feature compared to £90 for three excellent programmes? You could always use one of the online conversion products just when you need it, of course.

• 2 months later...

One of the first things I missed when I first started using Affinity Designer

In hindsight though, the auto-trace feature on Illustrator was never that good anyway:

- for complicated traces it always looked garbage, and

- for simple traces you might as well just do it yourself?

I recently figured out that to trace objects using the Pen Tool - just set the nodes to Sharp and then change them all to Smooth at the end (and adjust)

I'm planning on upgrading tomorrow, but as far as this feature is concerned I'm really not that bothered anymore

Just the other day I tried Vector Q:
apps.apple.com/app/vector-q/id1448103717
Its "vectorizer" is not all that shabby for a freebie. Interesting set of presets.
Exchange with Affinity is possible via PDF/SVG/EPS export.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I just registered here to support that feature. Surprisingly, among those which I’ve tried, Corel‘s PowerTRACE has been the only really good tool for this; however, as I’ve been an Affinity Designer user for quite a while, I wonder if there’ll be a chance to have this as well.

In the meantime (until an indefinite unspecified future related to this theme) there are some third party tracers which can be used as workarounds ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 minute ago, tux0r said:

None of those are really great though, in my opinion. The quality is often lacking, even with “high” quality settings.

Then you did something wrong here, as one or two of them are among the best available in this overal image tracing/vectorization discipline.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

4 minutes ago, tux0r said:

Probably! But I also throw some quite hard images at them, distorted photos taken from a distance and such.

Hard to tell without seeing samples here and so what Corel‘s PowerTRACE does generate in comparison out of those photos then (in contrast to those marked with *** or ** on the above list).