socapex

[Fixed] [Performance] Swatch scrolling slow.

If you select some of the new palettes, scrolling them is unbearably slow. I'm guessing its a memory loading issue, getting cache misses? :P Tsk tsk tsk, data oriented FTW ^_^

Jokes aside, it's just a little annoyance, but hopefully you get to optimizing that someday. Thank you.

Hi socapex,

Which swatches are you specifically referring to? I've gone through every palette and haven't noticed any performance issues with scrolling. Which app are you using?

This is with Affinity Designer (since pantone swatches). It happens mainly with the big pantone palettes (uncoated for example).

I will record a video of the scrolling when I get home if you want. I am on a first-gen retina mbp (15"). It's not the most powerful laptop, but still reasonable and expected to perform well enough when comparing with the whole app.

A small video would be great if you have the time. I'll see if I can track down a Retina MacBook and test it on there.

I'll report back once I've got my hands on one. Thanks!

Well now, I'm really sorry I didn't mention this before, but I'm using the swatches as a full height panel. IIRC, on my retina, it was also slow when they were in their default location, but here at work (iMac non retina), it is only slow when I use them as a separate panel.

My workspace looks like this:

post-12049-0-25966900-1453218987_thumb.png

And here is a video. I scroll once really fast (so the tiny moving you see at the beginning is when I scroll), the rest of the scroll action takes a lot of time to complete and is quite jagged/abrupt. I hope the video is somewhat clear...

https://youtu.be/w_cxs800eOI